QLD Moreton Bay region or Logan Region

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Sac, 24th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'd preference buying for location over newness... you can always knock down an old house (as long as its not heritage listed!) and build new in its place, but you can't change its location. Remember, worst house best street beats best house worst street. And besides, in a few years time, your new house won't be new anymore.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  2. Sac

Sac Member

OK.. Then suggest some areas plplea

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I am not the best person to talk about specific Brisbane areas, but there are plenty of posts in the Brisbane thread naming areas you can consider.

4. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Make sure you check vacancy rates where you intend to buy. Be careful if the vacancy rate is more than 2%.

Invest_noob likes this.
  5. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

2%? Most of Brisbane is more than 2% from when I last looked and plenty of good suburbs (5-15 km) between 3-4%. I wrote a reply to someone mentioning that 2.7% was high (which it is not). Anything around the 3-3.5% is fine for vacancy.

There was also an article on RE not too long ago about vacancy rates. They seem to view that around 3% give or take a few decimals is a healthy rate.

6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Your new house will not be new next year. Unless the increase in land value can offset the decrease in the value of the building you might find yourself going backwards for a few years.

7. Sac

Sac Member

Hows Heathwood area?

8. Sac

Sac Member

And Hemmant?

9. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Heathwood is a lovely area. It sold very well when the prices were under $500,000 but has slowed a little since they've continued to rise. Best priced new land under Brisbane Council. I'm not sure about Hemmant.

Sac likes this.
  10. Paula Ospina

Paula Ospina Active Member

I was also recently tossing up between the 2 for my next purchase
    I did some research on both (targeting some suburbs I was interested in) – I may be wrong but have attached it anyways in case its useful to you just for a high level overview on each

Also attached some comps I pulled of RP Data over the last 6 months from Aug to Feb on those suburbs so I could see what was selling - trying to assess market value lol
    (I can’t remember exactly what resources I used from memory it was sqm research, Id demographics, abs and real estate. com etc... although they each differed sightly)

Both areas have their own pros/cons - I personally would go for Moreton Bay and established over new due to generally more opportunity for value add and generally can pick them up at better value

Hope that might help :)

Attached Files:

11. Sac

Sac Member

Awesome, a great help.Thanks a heaps.much appreciated.

12. eletronic_exp0430

Your missing some major infra structure plans for Logan. M1 for instance is massive.

Logan infra for FY17-18 budget.
    • $18 million for the Waterford-Tamborine Road upgrade
    • $12.3 million for the Waterford-Tamborine road safety works
    • $10 million to upgrade the Pacific Motorway/Gateway Motorway Merge
    • $7 million for the Beaudesert Town Centre Bypass
    • $4 million towards Mount Lindesay Highway widening
    • $3.1 million for new Crestmead State School classrooms
    • $2.8 million to construct the V1 Cycleway
    • $1.5 million for Greater Flagstone critical infrastructure
    If you go to the Logan council website there are a plethora of major projects ranging from agriculture, to infrastructure and roads to sustainable living, waterways and heaps more.

Being in the middle of Brisbane CBD and GC is much better than between CBD and Sunshine Coast IMHO.

Moreton bay also has a lot of projects going on. If I had to choose for capital gain I would go north BUT for cashflow Logan is definitely a winner. The capital growth of Logan suburbs have improved as well recently. Long term I think you cant really go wrong with either.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  13. Paula Ospina

Paula Ospina Active Member

I hadn’t gotten around to checking the infra works in Logan yet, but thanks heaps for the list! I’ll check out the logan council website.

I understand logan being better for cashflow - based on yeild..but out of the 2 how would you assess which is better in terms of capital growth?

I still haven’t been able to exactly understand what things to look out when predicting future performance? Especially considering both have large scale proposed projects etc

14. Sac

Sac Member

So I visited Logan and a Big NO for that area for living.
    It can provide good returns in next 5-10 years but not for living for sure.
    How about new areas like Dakabin or Narangba or Kallangur or Murrumba downs under Moreton bay area?

15. Daz1979h

Daz1979h Member

I think it’s a big NO from most investors about living there,but if it’s got good cashflow and reasonable capital gains and it’s making me money who cares!

16. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Is Logan still making people money? It has been on the upside for quite a while now.

17. eletronic_exp0430

Whats your reasons? Which specific suburbs? So your saying Daisy Hill, Shailer Park, Tanah Merah and other suburbs near Hyperdome are crap?

I visited there not too long ago and I could easily live there and I currently live in a very nice suburb in Sydney. Absolutely nothing wrong there and very multicultural as well - just the way I like it.

18. eletronic_exp0430

In the process of pulling some equity from my Crestmead property. Newish 4/2/2 bought for $340k. Valuation came back today at $375k.

In the process of finalising it - I'm going to request for the report from my broker but usually they dont provide them.

Bought the property 11 months ago.

Quite happy with that. Over 10% within 1 year although I admit I got a good deal.

I think recently though say within last 3-4 months the market is speeding up. Medians have all increased across the board.

Daz1979h likes this.
  19. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Make sure you wear you Rolex won't ya......hold it clearly visible...a machete will take it off clean. :D:p

20. eletronic_exp0430

I've worn my Rollies everywhere including Columbia/Mexico/Chile etc.. and other south american countries. All good - nightclubs and even strip clubs. No issues.

Vietnam, Thailand, Indo and pretty much all SEA countries as well. They come with me on my holidays everywhere I go. ZERO risk in Logan. LOL