QLD Moreton Bay new draft planning scheme approved for public consultation

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by jafeica, 24th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

wombat777 likes this.
  2. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Interesting for investment -
    "The Moreton Bay Region is expected to grow by more than 40 per cent to 550,000 people, similar to the entire state of Tasmania, within the next two decades.

“With more people moving to this region than any other place in South East Queensland, it’s important that we plan for the future and it’s even more important that we get it right,” Mayor Sutherland said
    "

wombat777 likes this.
  3. Leon Andrews

Leon Andrews New Member

Ok, a question for the more real estate savvy and the ones who understand MBRC and how to interpret their rules. I have a house on 1405 Sq Meters it is situated on the front of the block in Caboolture
    Zone: General residential
    Zone precinct: Suburban neighbourhood
    It has a 20 meter frontage . Is it possible to go with dual occupancy and build another home on the rear of the property, I do realise there will be hoops to jump through and relaxations that may have to be applied for, but is it possible.
    TIA Darkside.

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Leon Andrews likes this.
  5. Whishy

Whishy Well-Known Member

I have been putting the feelers out for Agents to represent a sale of my property (Urban Zone, 2200m2 with 38m frontage) which has a minimum dwelling of 75 per hectare.

Surprisingly not many local agents have any idea what the new code includes.

One didnt even know it was all being rezoned.

A bit dissapointing / Surprising given the amount of development in the area.

6. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I have not gone through all that but does that impact 600 m2 block in mbrc ? I am looking for dual occ...

7. hpresident

hpresident Well-Known Member

I am seeing no price difference between next gen block and urban zoning blocks right now. Most agents are slow to catch on, give it 6 month to a yr and the price difference would be there. Good time to buy if you can find a good deal.

8. Timwest

Timwest Well-Known Member

Looking at a 600m2 block in Urban Res that backs onto Deception Bay road. Has a frontage of >20m and a local cul-de-sac front entrance road. It is eligible for plexes,terrace & low rise according to 3.2.1

Any thoughts of a property that backs onto a motorway and if that equals good future development potential or not?

9. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Anything near a motor way is looked down upon

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

There are a few developments already that back onto D'Bay Rd.

11. Timwest

Do you know whereabouts? Save me google earthing the whole street..

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't buy a house that backed onto a motorway myself, but I'm sure there could be some clever development solution for some townhouses or whatever.

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

No, I cant say exactly. Do some minimal basic DD on your suburb.

14. Timwest

No problem. I found them.

15. Timwest

Can any experts can help me with this? In the MBRC planning scheme under secondary dwelling it states
    "A Secondary dwelling may be free standing or constructed under or attached to a Dwelling house. It must:

• be substantially smaller in size to the main house on the property (maximum GFAof 45m2, 55m2 or 100m2, depending on the zone and precinct and primary road frontage - refer to table below for further information);
    • be on the same lot as the main house. It cannot be subdivided or community titled at a later date;
    • obtain access from the existing driveway giving access to the main house on the property and
    • retain a relationship and association with the main house, with the two households making common provision for other essentials for living ('Other essentials for living' is defined as the sharing of utility bills e.g. electricity or Council rates).
    Note: The secondary dwelling can be separately leased from the primary dwelling."

In dot point 4 it says "electricity or Council rates" does this mean its safe to put a second electricity meter on the secondary dwelling and would be classed as retaining a relationship if I just pay the council and water rates as one.

Thats awesome if thats the case.

16. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Am I correct to assume the MBRC's Suburban, Next Generation and Urban Neighbourhood falls under General Residential Zone in below table?

And that majority of MBRC properties, you can only build a maximum 55m2 Granny Flat. It is likely be more of 45m2 as there isn't that many 15m2+ frontage properties in MBRC

upload_2016-8-5_22-2-58.png
    source: MBRC Planning Scheme - Secondary dwelling

Timwest likes this.
  17. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I spent some downtime at the airport today searching MBRCs PD online system for any DAs that have been approved for Next Gen or Urban Zones under the new scheme.

I couldn't find anything under 800sqm that might of been through a code assessment rather than a self assessment. Will keep looking periodically.

The only DA I did find was for a multi-dwelling ( townhouses ) on a site just over 800sqm.

I was hopeful that more NG and UN applications had been through the planning process by now.

RetireRich101 and Property Twins like this.
  18. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

What are you hoping to find for lots under 800m2 that is UN or NG zoned? For 600m2 that has 15m2 frontage and zoned LMR both BCC and Logan can build multi unit dwellings, just not MBRC... And majority of lots in MBRC are that around 600m2

19. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

My understanding from reading the code documentation is that the numeric criteria are basically guidelines for assessment. If the proposal falls outside the 'self assessable' guidelines then a 'code assessment' applies based on 'performance outcomes'.

'Performance Outcomes' are more generally stated planning objectives for development. It is up to the applicant to justify how/why the proposal meets the desired planning outcomes if the self assessable criteria have not been met.

Really need a town planner to comment, but that is my interpretation of how it works.

With the above submitted/approved of DAs, I was just trying to see whether there are any situations where developments not meeting the self-assessable criteria have been approved.

Background to this is that I own a 600sqm site in the Urban Zone that settled only 3 to 4 weeks before the new planning scheme was released. I'm trying to better understand its potential ( edit - by looking at precedence from other approved / submitted DAs ).

Last edited: 27th Aug, 2016
  20. MrsMindy

MrsMindy New Member

I'm new to this forum but I'm very interested in development within the Moreton Bay area. I know of one larger scale development that has been lodged for DA in Kallangur (right near the new train station to be opened on October 4). It is in the Urban zone up to 21m and the DA is for a 7 storey residential apartment building with 48 apartments (2 and 3 bedrooms) on 2,845m2. Looks like Kallangur may be undergoing a huge change in the near future!