QLD Moreton Bay new draft planning scheme approved for public consultation

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by jafeica, 24th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jafeica

jafeica Well-Known Member

380 and Rockys like this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I have just read the planning dept's release and it states the new govt has reversed the previous govt's climate change sea level rise maps. You there Daryl? Does this mean we are back to having half the Redcliffe area under water in 50 years time and all our land values drop again? Or have they changed the ridiculous predictions to the more realistic ones where sea water rises will only affect the currently known swamps and wetlands that cant be built on and the places that already flood?

3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

The planning gods are being nice to me :)

larrylarry likes this.
  4. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

The best change has been the reduction by 50% the amount and size of free open space. Fantastic for developable properties in the Next Gen Neighbourhoods. We are now on a Next Gen 809 m2 at Albany Creek, but I cant help but wondering if it will take 5-10 years for the full development potential to be realised when the next wave is finished flowing through Everton Park. Any thoughts?

5. wombat777

I guess you just need to be patient. You may be lucky that your property is in a spot that can be developed immediately. The fact sheet for Moreton Bay scheme indicates the process can take 10-20 years for next-gen neighbourhoods.

https://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/u...ng/Next-Generation-Suburban-Neighbourhood.pdf

You may be able to speed up the process for your property by working with neighbours???

My IP is in an area with a new proposed zoning of Urban Neighbourhood. Another property for which I had an offer fall through just made it into this zone. I suspect it was taken off market because the vendor got wind that this zoning change was in the works.

larrylarry likes this.
  6. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

I recall Logan LCC council took approx 18 months or so from Public Consultation to adapted on 18 May 2015.

You would think MBRC take a similar timeframe to adopt?

Let's take a look MBRC website and see what's in store..

7. RetireRich101

Not sure I understood the MBRC proposed planning, so hoping someone can clarify my understanding..

I understand the the Next Generation (NG) is similar to LMR in BCC, in which multi dwelling is permissible.
    LMR in BCC requires 600m lot and 15m frontage.

It appears MBRC does not specify the minimum lot and frontage clearly.

In 9.3.1 Dwelling house code, I note the site area, snippet here below:

upload_2015-7-2_21-17-53.png

Question:
    1. Does this mean you can build a duplex/multi dwelling on a lot that is 300m2?
    2. For a 300m2 lot, you can have 75% site area and 8.5m2(2 level), meaning you can build 225m2 x 2?.. you could potentially fit triplex?
    3. Obviously you can't just buy a 600m2 lot in a NG and reconfigure this into 2 lot(subdivision) because this clause 9.2.1 Reconfiguring a lot (subdividing one lot into two lots) applies, and you need 1200m2 with 44m2 minimum frontage, to be able to reconfigure 1 into 2 lots?

8. jafeica

"The State Government’s Queensland Planning Provisions defines a Dwelling house as a residential use of premises for one household that contains a single dwelling. The use includes out-buildings (shed, garage and carport) and works normally associated with a dwelling, and may include a secondary dwelling (see Secondary dwelling information sheet). It does not include caretaker’s accommodation, dual occupancy, rooming accommodation, student accommodation or multiple dwelling."

RetireRich101 likes this.
  9. wombat777

this page has this summary for NG:

10. RetireRich101

@jafeica - so 9.3.1 refers to 'dwelling house' and not 'multi-dwelling'. In other words you're say that table above is good for a 'dwelling house' 1 house hold. As an example, referring to the table 300m2 lot, you can 500m2 double story but can only have 1 house hold. Is this what I am interpreting as? Maybe MBRC should have a a section for site area for multi-dwelling?

@wombat777 Yes, I have read gone through the MBRC site in the last few hours. The flyer and the detailed proposed scheme doesn't provide answer to my questions.
    Put it simply. in BCC a LMR 600m2 would allow a 3-4 double story townhouse development. Would a 600m2 in MBRC proposed Next Gen zone allow the same or better?

11. wombat777

Unsure. My new IP which is currently zoned for 8.5m max height will be zoned for 21m max height under the new scheme. This is in "Urban Neighbourhood". There is the possibility I think that I could build a small plex or unit block. Worst case a dual-occupancy house / duplex. Also a 600m2 block.

Focus at the moment though is to get a tenant in and build further equity.

ej89 and RetireRich101 like this.
  12. RetireRich101

The UN would be equivalent to MDR in BCC

wow, now I know what you meant earlier "The planning gods are being nice to me" ;)

multi floor apartment may be possible if you're not limited in lot size. However I guess you be investigate all options that works well for you.

13. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

http://consult.moretonbay.qld.gov.a...pointId=s1412044781981#section-s1412044781981

Duplex is 25M frontage plus conform with 6.2.6 and 9.3.2

upload_2015-7-3_5-28-50.png

Multi is 800m2, 20M frontage and conform with 6.2.6 and 9.3.2

upload_2015-7-3_5-25-39.png

Hope this helps

14. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

15. jafeica

16. RetireRich101

Thanks @Pier1
    Basically you can't do very much for a 600m2 in NG proposed then ? Not dual occupancy nor multidwelling. It will be rare as hens teeth to find 800m2 with 20m frontage in proposed NG

Also looks like in Suburban where majority of zoning can do dual occupancy but it will impossible to separate title. Max best use is you can rent out to separate household but reconfigure 1 into 2 lot kicks in in you're to separate title

Not a wow factor for me in proposed zoning at the moment unless there are more data

17. RetireRich101

I currently don't have a property in Moreton Bay.sole interest is to study capabilities of the proposed hoping to achieve the level of basic understanding as LCC and BCC council

18. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Haven't had a chance to look or talk to my planners yet. Will do over the weekend.

19. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link.
    I've just been through an interesting time getting MBRC to agree that my 405sqm block of new IP has got two flats (built that way in the 60's; rented separately for years; rates lapsed on lower flat and they were claiming it couldn't be used as two flats since the lapse). They wouldn't allow two flats (3up/2dn) on 405sqm now or re-permit it if it gets knocked down!
    Old zoning was 12m height: new zone seems to be the same, but suddenly a whole lot more properties around it can be 12m too (damn - reduces the benefit of mine).
    New rules don't seem to have any pluses for me...

20. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see how the density plays out in getting developments across the line.
    We have an 809 m2, 20.117 wide frontage :), corner block. Under NG code density is between 15 and 75 per ha. which on 809 m2 is anything from 1.2 to 6 dwellings, if it goes through we will try for 3 and see how that goes.