More than $250k in the offset?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by FirstTimeBuyer, 10th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Certainly would never have more then 250K in an offset, when I did once I quickly moved it to other institutions and shares. I keep offset down around 100K. Money over "guarantee" would not be applied to reduce any debt, the money would be lost.
    There wouldn't be much notice, maybe only few days while the bank and government say everything is fine... nothing to see here. Banks go under fast when people get a whiff of the trouble and a run starts, too many people trying to transfer cash out of offsets would quickly be restricted.

2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

i would just do a home loan split it into half so you can use the funds to borrow. i have more than 250K in offset however it is now split 3 ways.

3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Well, that's the thing, right ? If things went that way and a systemic failure was in full swing, who knows what will go on, we can try and guess, but they could do anything.

LOL.....yeah.....Gold and Silver, you will need the 12g to protect your stash and food most likely.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

5. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Surely if an Australian bank collapsing whilst you have over 250k in your bank is a concern you need a holiday.

6. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

The guarantee is only per institution not accounts so splitting it doesn't help.

Also would not rely on the offset being used to pay off associated debt, the loan book and deposits could be treated or sold off separately.

7. Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

upload_2016-4-11_19-0-41.png

upload_2016-4-11_19-8-25.png

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

9. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

In Europe during the depression that started in 2008 bank busts were pretty common, some huge banks. People are much more wary these days and wouldn't dare leave too much cash in one institution. Its a risk anywhere to be aware of and mitigate. "Bail-ins", haircuts, confiscation are all very real possibilities. I was surprised in Spain to discover that the government can just dip into your bank account and take the money if they think you owe them something, or just freeze your account until you pay them. Meanwhile all other bills go unpaid.

List of banks acquired or bankrupted during the Great Recession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

So, if you have an offset account in 2 names (ie joint account) does the guarantee increase to $500,000?

11. Terry_w

no

Dean Collins likes this.
  12. Terry_w

no

13. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

This happens in Australia too. Mate of mine had a Centrelink and Spur debt, up around 80k in total. He quite recently got a TPD payout from 3 seperate Super companies totalling 600k plus all up. Accounts got frozen 4 days after initial payout so Centrelink and Spur could take out their debts. Just what you want a week before Xmas. Still frozen now.

14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

That's not a normal morning?

Last year, some jerk predicted that the Australian property market would crash and take down one of the big 4 banks.

As risk mitigation, I don't have any loans with any of the big 4. ;)

I do have more than the guarantee with the same ADI but I am not too concerned about it

MikeyBallarat and datto like this.
  15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think I read, more than once, it is a guarantee for account/s. Not holders.

16. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

I doubt there would be many investors on here with more than $250k cash for any length of time.

It's an investment forum, not a savings forum.

Perhaps $250k is a cash buffer, a years worth of living/investing expenses?

surely investors who need a buffer larger than this would have lending with more than one adi...

17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

No.

But it is per person per ADI.

Simply split the joint account into two accounts in individual names. If offset has to be in joint names decide which aspect is more important to you - offset or guarantee. Or leave $250K in the offset and deposit the rest with another bank.
    Marg

Perthguy likes this.
  18. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

At that stage you would go and kidnap the youngest child of your banks CEO, I bet your money will be returned within minutes PLUS INTEREST...."Simples!"

Regards,

alicudi

datto likes this.
  19. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

So if I can have 2 offset accounts under 2 different names for the loan/s, then that would take it to $500,000?

20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Could be saving for a PPoR. Have the funds ready, buy a block and build a house, set the loan to IO, park the saved funds in an offset account and pay no or low interest while living there. Later move out and turn it into an IP. I have been trying to do this for a couple of years but I keep buying IPs. :)

tobe likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia