More Apartment owners could be forced to sell properties under proposed strata law shakeup

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by JacM, 25th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

On the upside, it can revamp the look of very old apartments, making the street better. I think the rules need to be made carefully to prevent developer from exploiting unit owners though.

My street would have at least 3 new looking apartment complex coming up. The other side of the street is old apartments. Some revamp will make the street look more balanced

3. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

I do agree with the point in the article that there should be rules in place to ensure that they have to increase the density of the building if they wish to use that rule. No point kicking people out of homes if you're not improving density, imo.

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

This article nicely summarises the key points of the UNSW paper, which makes a pretty plausible argument that the good intentions (renewal of ageing stock needing replacement) aren't so likely to come to fruition, but the downside risks (displacement of dissenting owners at 75% is a low threshhold compared to other jurisdictions) are very real.

'Poor Sydney' to miss out on urban renewal