QLD Morayfield QLD- any potential

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Bigmaan, 21st Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bigmaan

Bigmaan Active Member

Been doing some digging on Morayfield north of Brisbane. Seems like a cheaper entry for 4 x 2 x 2 houses around the 350K to 450K with good yields. Fair bit of commentary about the place and its capital growth potential. I know it is 44Kms from Brisbane but the vacancy rate is only 1.2% and with the entry costs I might be able to slip in and grab one sooner rather than later. It appears to be a decent size populated suburb where at least 40% residents rent. House and land packages go for 380K to 450K. Must be still some land around which may slow CG.

Does anyone see the upside I am seeing ? Love to get some feedback please ! Looking at 5-10 year hold, with a decent capital growth during that time. Any good and bad sides ? I have seen the flood map and need to be careful if I get one there.

Kind regards

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

google maps

look for the green board acres land available and assess on that basis

usually a good guide to stock availablity - simple but not obvious

ta
    rolf

EN710 likes this.
  3. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

New university planned close by in Petrie. Train line is a plus. Booming Noth Lakes is also close by.

Morayfield will eventually benefit from the ripple effect as Brisbane's inner suburbs get too expensive.

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I still think the Redcliffe Peninsula near the water is a better bet due to land scarcity and the new train line going in. For the value to do better than average you want land scarcity and some population growth drivers. They arent making any more land out there. That area will also have easy access to everything @nth brisbanite said, so that's where I would buy if looking in that area.

Ps. Nth Brisbanite. I think your "ripple effect" will take a heck of a long time to hit Morayfield. It is so far out and there are plenty of closer in options which will be preferred by many. Just sayin'...

Rich2011 likes this.
  5. nth brisbanite

You are probably right about the time for the "ripple effect" to get out to Morayfield. If you are a buy and hold investor (5 years minimum), you'll do ok. Hopefully, the economic fundamentals of Brisbane will have improved by then.

I remember having a property in Boronia, Melbourne which is about the same distance out as Morayfield is. I never thought that prices would skyrocket in Boronia as much as it has.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I agree with Gockie about staying as far east as possible. On the other hand, whenever Brisbane has boomed during my considerable number of adult years, all of Moreton boomed just as much, percentage wise. I think the prices you mentioned will get a similar property in North lakes and that newer area across Anzac venue.

7. liverpool77

liverpool77 Active Member

You can get in at an affordable rate with plenty attracting tenants hence the vacancy rate as you have pointed out. It has all the essentials including transport with good train lines and road access, schools shopping centres, parklands etc and esy access to beaches. I like this area and think plenty of CG going forward given it has been relatively stable for a number of years.

Obviously if you could afford more inner Brisbane would be better however this is an affordable option to get ahead medium-long term.

8. nth brisbanite

The only thing I don't like about North Lakes are the narrow roads and small blocks. There are some terrible traffic snarls during peak periods and this is bound to get worse as the area develops.

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My big 4/2/2 house is established, on 650m2 and valued at $450K. Many of the houses in my section are on bigger blocks. Generally speaking, the further out, the smaller they go.

I understand about peak hour traffic. The final stage of the North South Arterial is about to be built so that will further relieve traffic. The streets in modern estates are meant to be narrow through residential places, not like the old suburbs like Chermside and Kedron.

10. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Better opps in and around Deception Bay and Rothwell, closer to the water and Northlakes and the beach at Redcliffe. Have you been to Redcliffe lately? Its all very trendy along waterfront with shops and cafe's/restaurants etc. In D-bay you should be able to get a 4/2/2 not too old with good depreciation for mid 3's up to 400 closer to Rothwell. Just be careful where you pick area wise.

11. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Big

12. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Big