Monopoly game with investors

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by jins13, 8th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I know some people been talking about the Monopoly game in the forum. Just bought the board game for $20 from Kmart and I think it's a bargain. Really wonder if people in the forum were playing the game, what their strategy may be with their purchases? Buy in slum areas like old kent street and build hotels on them, acquire as many properties as possible to collect rent and etc.

For me I think it'll be good to see what the other half is going to be like and possibly be an indicator of whether she is a keeper or not!

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Strategy often would depend on which properties I landed on, which properties others landed on and then assess from there. At some point my strategy involved getting as many houses on properties as quick as I could. That's what kills the others. I always found the best way I used to win was not so much by what I bought but how I bought them. I would wheel and deal with other players, persuade them to buy or sell or not to do business with other players or do business with me and have allies along the way etc etc. In the end it always benefited me and I have never lost a game to date that I can remember.

jins13 likes this.
  3. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I focus on the first half of the board (I particularly like the light blue and purple) while everyone else is scrambling for the last quarter of the board, buy a set and develop it as much as I can, as soon as someone lands on it and I get more cash, build it further, once it's past 3 properties (the biggest jump in income) use further income to build a second set and develop and so on. Also by doing this you are draining the game of houses, there are only a specific number of houses and hotels to keep the economy balanced, if you own all the houses in the game you can't lose :). 12 houses on your 3 properties whilst less income than 3 hotels is a better strategy in the long game.

I like red and yellow (Quadrant 3) once I have an asset base in quadrant 1 or 2 but I steer clear of the last quadrant (green and dark blue) at all costs, $200 per house is too much of an outlay.

jins13 likes this.