Money money money

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by joel, 11th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

yeah ok... your situation is different to mine. I've had huge capital growths the past few years. And I also want Brisbane to perform....

Ps. When you say your costs are higher than that, what do you mean by this exactly?

2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I'm thinking... 5% yield across my portfolio... 3% gains pa...
    Not a whole lot of gain there.

I've never had big capital growth. But - I only intentionally bought an IP a few months ago. The rest were PPORs that I never sold. Wasn't a strategy.

3. Gockie

And if you were in that situation then I want you to have a bigger portfolio! But @joel... good start so far. :) I believe you're on the right track.
    It can take a few years for momentum to build. :)

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Back in the good old days 3% cpi was the going rate. Would not be happy with a neutral rise

Bran likes this.
  5. Gockie

But say I have put in 20%.
    That 3% growth is actually more like 15% cash on cash when I base it on my 20% deposit (and... some deposits come from equity extracted elsewhere so it's not even a 20% equity). So the actual cash I put in is only a miniscule portion... if course if the growth is double digit + on purchase price... I'm not complaining. Happy days :)

joel and Bran like this.
  6. Gockie

Ps. Throw in depreciation (great tax bonus), the power of opm, the long term growth.... a bit of Airbnbing for excellent easy yields.... I like property as an investment :)

Colin Rice likes this.
  7. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

very much agree with it Leo, one needs a large size of portfolio to grow some serious wealth as long as one can hold it for a long time. the size of the portfolio does matter, it is actually critical. The magic word "leverage" it is.

Beano likes this.
  8. Gockie

+1 guys :D

9. joel

joel Well-Known Member

It is a bit ridiculous that the reason property makes sense, is debt, and the more you have the higher your potential gains..

10. Gockie

Life isn't fair, things can be counterintuitive. But once you understand it, make the most of it. Don't be just like everybody else in the herd who only buy 1 PPOR and that's it.

Just by seeing what you have achieved already, I feel you won't be like Joe Average... I feel you are showing sound logic and judgement this far... Keep participating in the forum as I enjoy seeing what you write. :D

Colin Rice and joel like this.
  11. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Can do but I can't guarantee my input will always be constructive!

Gockie likes this.
  12. Eric Wu

property investing is a vehicle to use to help you to get to where you want to go, no good or bad, you need to master it, don't let it master you.

MTR, Sackie and bob shovel like this.
  13. Gockie

I can't guarantee my posts are helpful or constructive either. But that's ok. :)

I've gone from being a reader (and non poster) on Somersoft for a looooonnnnng while. Then I started posting. Now... It's hard to shut me up. But I feel I've learnt so much in this process. :D

Agree @steadyrich. It's a vehicle... A powerful vehicle to help up you get from A to B. B for me is an early comfortable retirement on my terms..... Property investing has features that I find very doable.... I've learnt so much over time.

Colin Rice, Sackie and Eric Wu like this.
  14. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

How long is a loooonnnng while? :)
    It's true that you can not shut up now, but enjoyable to read.
    Keep them coming:)

Sackie likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

For me it's not the leveraging itself that makes residential real estate make sense, but rather the underlying vehicle. With real estate you can buy way below market value or add value to the asset in a multitude of ways such as cosmetic reno, subdivide or develop etc. The vehicle you're using is also sought after by most people who either want to rent it, buy it, develop it or live in it. It has emotional value to many which to me makes it a unique vehicle.

All leveraging does for me is allow me to expand and grow my wealth faster using a vehicle that is very malleable and often in high demand. I use leverage, it doesn't use me.

My 2 cents.

MTR and Iamnumber5 like this.
  16. Gockie

:D thanks @Iamnumber5. Ps. I really enjoy your posts too. They are eye opening and very inspirational. :)

I feel the forum makes me think, and solidifies what I may know. Lots of varied situations out there. Understanding the basics by widely reading and seeking feedback helps me analyse each situation I might come across and make a call on what I think is the right thing to do, at least for the majority of people. Of course, everybody's situation is different but I feel I now have an ability to think through pros and cons to confidently arrive at a conclusion in many situations a heck of a lot of the time. Also without the forums I probably wouldn't have that much of an idea of what's going on in other states except for the headlines of Perth and Darwin are going down.

I started reading the forum probably in 2008 after meeting Simon at the meetups he hosted at Chatswood RSL. But I was a lurker and didn't actually sign up with a login till sometime in 2011. Even then, I was much more of a reader, and didn't post much. I was also a very casual user too... I would log in, read probably a few times that month and not get on the forum again for a while. Towards the end or maybe last 12 months of SS I posted more, a lot of the time prior to this I had this feeling I can answer a question, but others can answer it better or more fully so I didn't necessary contribute my thoughts that much of the time. I finally got over that before SS finished.... And learnt about some other features on SS I hadn't noticed either (clicking on new posts rather than going into each thread for example).... But then it finished!:eek:

Anyway, the great thing about Propertychat is its' mobile friendliness.... I can easily read it on my phone and that's how I access the forum the vast majority of the time, for example on the bus to work... I always have the browser with a Propertychat page open (along with a Facebook page too). But I was on the phone too much today... Flat battery now so it's plugged in and charging lol.... So I'm on the iPad now.:p

17. Gockie

That too! :)

18. Eric Wu

no laptop at all?
    i am looking for a andriod tablet, any suggestions?

19. Gockie

Laptop: not my preferred device. Though it's definitely easier to type on...
    Android tablet: I can't say. But I know this iPad isn't too fast (it's an iPad 2)....

20. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

I find it very inspiring to hear people on average wage to build an amazing property portfolio from scratch. It's not the actual portfolio figure that amazes me, but more the mentality of the people given their own circumstances. So @joel, congratulation on your effort so far.

For me, property is something real where I can put my money against inflation. I haven't been building my property portfolio through the way most people here have. At the moment, yield is not a number one issue for me to keep on investing however the strategy will change as I will be less active on the business. For now, I would like to call myself a property hoarder:), and hopefully one day when I have become a property investor, I'd like to write more on this forum.:)

Colin Rice and samiam like this.