Money Hacks

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by albanga, 9th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Just remembered I do have one money hack. When online shopping, add everything you want to your cart (after creating an account first) and just leave it there. Many shopping carts will automatically email you with a discount code to complete your order after a few hours/days.

Phar Lap, Cactus, MTR and 13 others like this.
  2. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

Someone recommended this guy to me a week or two ago on here so I binge read his blog then did some digging into how much he's making from it, because I figured with the number of casual product recommendations (investing products, phones, e-bikes, etc) he must be getting something..

"He told me that his blog is now earning around four hundred thousand dollars a year. He was reluctant for this to become public, without his being able to provide a detailed explanation. He makes money from the products and services he recommends—Betterment, Lending Club, Geico, and numerous others. They pay him for every customer who comes to them via his site. He insists that he makes these recommendations based only on his own research and experience. He’s saving all this income and plans to give it away someday."
    The Life-Style Guru of Frugality

Observer and House like this.
  3. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

I opened an ING account and I get the ATM charge refunded if I need to draw cash.. plus I get 2% rebate each time I tap for spending <$100. Great for when I refuel the car and grocery shops.. adds up overtime.

Braz and andrew_t like this.
  4. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

For me if I am going to make any purchase (including getting take-away), I will visit this website;
    New Deals, Coupons, Vouchers and Freebies - OzBargain

If I am going to buy say a new TV or seeing what deals are out there just Google 'Ozbargin Item (E.g. TV, Menulog, iPhone, Telstra)'. I am sure there is a way to do it within the site but I am okay going to google first and searching what I am wanting that way.

OzBargin is another community where people are posting specials and freebies they have found and it doesn't cost anything :).

I have gotten numerous free apps, 1/2 price items for things I was wanting, free phone screen protection that normally cost $20, free wine (hic).

superace, MTR, mrdobalina and 2 others like this.
  5. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

All good mate, I didn't really take it to heart.

I guess some people don't enjoy penny pinching as much as others, personally, I really don't mind it and like @Jamie Moore, I get excited when I find myself a good bargain. Ozbargain is certainly a site that I visit on a daily basis, for example.

MTR and Jamie Moore like this.
  6. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

What sports car did you own mate?

7. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

L
    Love reusing the stamps. Have been doing this for years. Thanks mum!

Marg4000 and MTR like this.
  8. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Mine is pretty basic - using a rewards card to pay tax debts / BAS etc.

but those loopholes are closing so I might have to start using the paypal/amex idea....

markson likes this.
  9. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

they charge you extra for paying through the card

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Agreed. My policy for '72 Karmann Ghia was due for renewal with SGIO/NRMA. Renewal came - ignored - went online and used their handy dandy $100 off policy for opening a policy online. It still checks that I'm a member and gives me multi policy discount. Policy quote was $250 per annum for the car, take $100 off and I scored a baaargain :)

My middle name is 'I don't pay retail' and as long as it's legit (I'm not going to claim for a windscreen I didn't have on policy) then I'm all for it.

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

See, I think going onto Ozbargain is a waste of time, its hard to search for specific items and may make you want to buy stuff you never intended to buy. Therefore you end up spending money on items that you never planned... money down the drain.

chylld likes this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

OMG I love Ozbargain. They now have a voucher specific site which is my go to place before ordering anything online (cough dominoes pizza cough).
    I just have to remember that even though it's a bargain - I don't always need it. I've seen some awesome things on ozbargain and the temptation is great but then I have to remember that NOT buying it at all will save me more money.

Lasoo is also good for finding a product on special. It has all the catalogues but also has a search engine where you can type in the product eg apple ipad 4g and it can be sorted so you can see where it's cheapest.

13. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

This.

"It used to be $200, but with this voucher code it's 40% off! I saved $80!"
    "No you didn't, you spent $120."

also

"There's a sale on at Victoria's Basement, do we need anything?"
    "No, I would have needed it before there was a sale."

tommo c, Mooze and TheGreenLeaf like this.
  14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

But you get the policy then claim;)

But if you're a loyal customer why should you run around to get the deal that joe new-comer gets? They chase the new customers but losing just as manyo_O while screwing the customers that sit quiet and pay

15. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Put a big magnet on your power meter lol

MTR likes this.
  16. House

House Well-Known Member

Always question rises in any service and say you won't pay them or you'll move. It costs far more to get a new customer onboard than to keep an existing one (not that you'd think that with some CS!)

I remember talking to a big security company rep and even though the customer is contracted for 3 years at $30/m, every year they'll send out a letter saying they're increasing the monthly fee by $1. They found that 99% of customers will pay the increase because it's just easier not to do anything. This apparently makes the company an extra $400k+ a year.

17. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Which means you have to keep your cash in that ING account. Not a good deal if you have loans with other banks...

18. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Buying meat online through Woolies or Coles can save you heaps - if you buy a 1 kg leg of lamb @$15/kg, for eg, it's rare that have a cut that's exactly 1kg. So you pay for one kg, but invariably get a bigger piece as they can't give you smaller than what you paid for. It's easy to save $20/wk this way.

Observer, Toon, EN710 and 5 others like this.
  19. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

True :) everyone's set up is quite different. this works for me and gives me the flexibility I need for now

20. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I rarely buy the deals from there, been tempted on occasions but I end up not purchasing as I don't need it.

However I have been standing in a shop about to purchase something and quickly google ozbargin 'item or store' to see if there is any discounts or cheaper products.

Yes saving 50% is still spending 50% more than nothing but if you were willing to pay 100% then isn't it a 50% saving?