Money Hacks

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by albanga, 9th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Which addons and repository give you the AU Chans? (I never looked into it before, didn't even know they existed lol)

I haven't used any addons before but this link has instructions.

How to install Addon Installer on Kodi (aka Fusion Installer)?

Elives likes this.
  2. KoopaTroopa

KoopaTroopa Active Member

3. House

House Well-Known Member

Has anyone used a 15 month interest free credit card to pay all bills with?

Instead off the usual 55 days in the offset and then taken out, the money builds up while you're using the CC until it's maxed out. Could be 3 or 4 months of money building up in the offset until it needs to be repaid.

C-mac and legallyblonde like this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes, it did that for a while and bought a car with a CC with a long interest free period - 12 months from memory.

It worked well until I forgot to pay on time one day. I copped a $75 charge and then lost the interest free status immediately. So I had to quickly pay it out to avoid 22% pa interest.

5. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Did that twice in the last two years. Paid it out after 12 months when promotional period ended. Still in a promotional period where my bank extended the offer after I paid it off. Paying off my car loan now.

6. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

How much money did you save/make doing this?

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Get another job while still working.
    Go work in the other job while on paid leave ;)

BPhil, devank and legallyblonde like this.
  8. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Or Just dont eat meat... Whole plant foods are quite cheap when you eat seasonally. I stopped 5 years ago (not for financial reasons!)

Terry_w likes this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Meat in bulk still sounds more appealing.
    Pig on a spit:
    pig.jpg

sharon and Journeyman like this.
  10. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I'd rather actually die. :p

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Interesting 12 pages of reading. I dont really know where to start. I (try to) make a profit when I buy, and when I sell. I only deal with motivated vendors (for big purchases). I like saying, "A dollar saved doesnt remind you where it came from".
    I buy my work suits from Op shops (like new $20) and the kids have been clothed from op shops since forever.
    I have around $150k tied up in toys (motorcycles and firearms) most will maintain their value, some will steadily increase, some will drop. I have owned nice cars (FG FPV F6, XR6T) but I buy them at auction for much less than yard or private sale price. I get the dealer to bid for me and then charge the lease co. extra $$ to capitalise extras onto the lease... Or give me the cash and I do it. I always get more than the pay out price when I sell, so its tax free $10k or so.
    We have what I think is good income, plus around $30k (net) passive from the rental income of the 8 IPs.

I am putting away $30k a year, Mrs Journeyman saves $22k. We have no trouble making the ends meet. We eat plant based for health reasons (I want to live for a long time to enjoy all this stuff, and see my kids grow up), but many cheap peasant dishes are plant based - eg Dahl, curry, rice dishes, potato's (Is much more exciting than it sounds) Our primary residence (Farm) is rented from our SMSF, tax deducted from PAYG incomes. So our business costs are paid to our SMSF anyway. Our employer contribution more than covers the P&I Mortgage if we wanted to pull back on the salary sacrifice.

Our vehicles are tax deducted via Novated lease or the farm. In some ways fun vehicles are deducted (quads and motobikes) I buy oil by the 205 litre drum (<$700) and do my own vehicle servicing. I shop around for consumables. The oil filter that is $36 at super cheap, I get for $12 through a trucking company. I have a modern caravan and oldish 90's ZZR1100 50k on clock- road bike. I bought them both very cheap. Bike owes me $1200 registered (in a trade) Caravan 1998 Jayco cost me $7600, but would be worth $15k every day.

I went overseas for month in January/February and that was mainly about food and fun. 4 countries.... spent about $4500 for all flights and accommodation including two weeks in the US, with luxury car hire, Las Vegas accommodation etc....amazing time.

I save pennies, but will spend $400 for a day of clay shooting without hesitation. I have spent $800 per head for degsutations on two occaisions - I dont miss out on stuff. 3 Kids in private school etc....
    I use Acorns(the app) more for entertainment than anything. I am having a race with Mrs Journeyman to have more saved.... to pay for more O/S travel.
    We use the jars money system and the 70/30 split for risk.

Not suggesting I have this all worked out, but pretty happy with what we have in place.

tommo c, C-mac, ellejay and 2 others like this.
  12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I thought that might be a bit far, but pretty true.
    I couldn't go without bacon, that's for sure.

13. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Haha- I only said that to my husband yesterday- I said to him I'm in the car for majority of my life (on the road all day for work) it only makes sense since I spend so much time in it I should buy a nice one

14. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I did that over the Christmas period. So, got double holiday pay :).

Gockie likes this.
  15. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Encourage the partner to work harder and get a promotion. I am not stuck in the stone age of the mentality of men have to bring home the bacon or earn more than women. I do pretty well myself but it helps when your partner does even better and you love them unconditionally.

legallyblonde likes this.
  16. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

I remember listening to a "money scrimping/I know the biggest tight@r$e" show on talk back radio many years back.

The caller who had me cringing the most swore her Aunty collected all her finger & toenail clippings in a jar. When She had enough She would put them in the foot of an old pair of stockings & tie the top.
    Then use them to scrub dirty pots after cooking.
    I only remember driving down the highway screaming "No No No !" to the radio.

I hope She was kidding.

legallyblonde, Terry_w and Perthguy like this.
  17. vudu

vudu Well-Known Member

AGL send me a card saying how they missed me and were offering 20% discount on elec for my return. Switched to Energy AU a year or so ago as I went from no discount to 12% for elec and 6% for gas. I rang EA and within 10 mins on the phone had negotiated 21% for Elec and 20% for Gas. My utilities are approx 1K per quarter.

Rather pleased with myself. Better not be late with payment!

legallyblonde and Perthguy like this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

An old taxi trick. When you're in one, sit in the back and have a feel around the seat creases for anything that's worked it's way in. Found a twenty once.

19. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

In some countries, check for the seatbelt first in the backseat.
    If the female connector is missing/tucked behind the seat then get straight out again.
    Often the Cabbie will high beam the local police down the road who then ping you for not wearing a seatbelt.
    Its all about the take, the Cabbie is in on it.
    No seatbelt = no ride.

datto likes this.
  20. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I'd like to learn a bit more about this..
    what dealer is bidding for you?
    What kind of lease are you getting?
    What extras are you capitalising onto lease?
    Thanks