Money Hacks

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by albanga, 9th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

One of my colleagues thought I was crazy to borrow books on San Francisco from my local library when we did our team trip there (a side perk of working at American Express as part of a Global team).... oh and Business Class flights too in both directions as Amex's policy was any flights over 5 hours was to be done in Business class.

Those were the good old days pre GFC.... :)

2. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Hmmm interesting, I have a PS3 controller hooked to my Win 10 PC so it would give a pretty authentic console feel :).

BKRinvesting likes this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

legallyblonde likes this.
  4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Things could be worse than being stuck with a PS4.
    What do you think of the new Star Wars game?

5. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Also in the spirit of the thread, money hack:
    I prefer digital console games.
    So it's nice to get a double discount -
    Buy Xbox money from G2A.com then buy the games when on a Microsoft sale.
    Alternatively if patience isn't an option - just buy
    the game from G2A.

6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

No not oled. Oled has some issues and the led full backlit panel from sony was better and bigger and cheaper.

Oled has burn in issues where the logo for say example channel 7 or whatever can burn into the screen. Not a good idea for a computer monitor setup which mine doubles as. Certain colors degrade over time. They didnt have hdr at the time. They werent as bright. And scenes where the camera did a panning shot would result in flickering in certain dark areas.

So lots of issues. The only advantage with oled is they have darker blacks. However my sony led has such ridiculously good black levels that at least I personally cannot tell any difference between the black surround and the blacks on the tv itself. Plus oled has bad processing so they actually crush the greys and make way more of the picture black than it should be.

Lol I read a crazy amount of info before buying the tv.

7. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

It's all relative.

Folks who are on six figure incomes (or multiples of) and who have no desire to invest need not bother about it.
    Folks on six figure incomes (or multiples of) who are wanting to invest have more than enough to buy lunch every day and invest....but should be mindful.
    Folks who are on middle to lower incomes who have no investing desires - need not bother too...there is always the pension (we hope).
    Folks who are on middle to lower incomes who are wanting to invest and become wealthier - should take their lunch to work, drink water and eat fruit.

I take my lunch to work. It is mostly left-overs from previous dinners - we often make more than we need and I use the extra. Very, very occasionally I will buy it. We are not poor. But; I have seen tough and good times. It is easy to keep on taking lunch to work and use the savings towards paying debt, buying kids clothes, more food, etc.

I actually enjoy the mindset of knowing that by taking my lunch to work I am increasing my wealth, and I do not miss out on nice stuff to eat. Would I like to spend every lunchtime in a restaurant, looking out at the ocean? Or eating shop-made yummy stuff? Sure. But reality kicks in.

Had we (wife and I) not adopted this "latte factor" mindset many years (and tears) ago, and kept it going - I have no doubt we would not have made it this far financially; and not been able take the financial hits we have taken...and you never expect to have them, by the way.

My latest employee - who is 24, married, 3 young kids, 4th year apprentice earning just less than $20 per hour, renting - a terrific young bloke, terrific mechanic and very intelligent; almost never brings food from home - goes and buys his lunch, and "smoko" pretty much every day...went out on the weekend and spent $2k on furniture on the "never-never loan". Is also a smoker.

Should I bother trying to tell him?

Last edited: 17th Jun, 2016
    Journeyman and House like this.
  8. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Some learn the hard way that is all...

In relation to taking lunch from home and wealth I have a slightly different view:
    1. Sure not spending on food is good
    2. I'd actually prefer my leftovers than buying a crappy chic focaccia or subway etc
    3. Spend time already commuting to and from work, don't want to spend 4 or so days also commuting for lunch on my break..
    4. When we do go out for Friday lunch it makes it more enjoyable as it is a good novel social event or treat..

SerenityNow, Erida and spludgey like this.
  9. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I did this. But the Presto apps are painful.

Even free.....Its still not worth it.

I'd wager Presto might not be around in another 6 months.....

Observer, Terry_w and Tim86 like this.
  10. Dan Donoghue

I don't own it (not cheap second hand yet :p). but I did play it with my Nephew on XBone, it's not bad but I prefer Halo and Half Life :).

I'm a bit of a weirdo in terms of Sci Fi (amongst other things), I am a MASSIVE Fantasy / Sci Fi fan yet I really don't like the Star Wars movies. I liken them to a poorly made Japanese samurai war movie where the swords happen to glow. I find the plot a little lackluster and overdone :).

Having said that though, I did enjoy the most recent one as a stand alone movie more than the other recently made ones.

Toon likes this.
  11. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Thin ice Dan... thin ice.

febstyle and Dan Donoghue like this.
  12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, games like Gran Turismo, Fallout, GTA etc... are worth it because you can keep laying them for ages.

13. Dan Donoghue

Hahaha yeah it's pretty controversial ;)

Tim86 likes this.
  14. Dan Donoghue

I like GT due to it's balance, decent rewards and progression speed. I have Project cars which is a wonderful car sim but you sit in these damn go karts for so long and you can't progress until you finish that league, I have given up as it bores me :(.

I still play the original on my tablet through an emulator (paired with a PS3 controller) :)

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Handy things them PS3 controllers.
    I've got one set up for Fallout 4 on my gaming laptop.

16. Dan Donoghue

Yeah, only pain is setting it up in Windows and having to emulate an XBox controler, fine once it's set up though :).

The tablet was super easy, I have a Sony tablet to it was literally a 20 second thing :).

I also use one cabled to my Raspberry Pi which I use emulators on for all the old consoles, nothing like playing wonder boy for a bit of nostalgia ;)

17. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Not spending on food is baaad...I love food. But you have to do what is required to create those dollars.

Half yer luck...I like the Friday lunches where you don't go back to work. ;)

18. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Tell me about it - i have a friend who is worth anything btw 100-150 mil and before heading overseas realized got a box of milk maybe 75% full. Rather than dump it in the bin, decided to fully drink the whole box of remaining milk before heading off to the airport and then spending a hour in the toilet due to indigestation. Not to mention asking for free airport rides and using mobile wifi off friends.

Last edited: 17th Jun, 2016
    Observer, SerenityNow, S.T and 2 others like this.
  19. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Totally love it ! I still have it now -Or does that show how tight I am ?!!

20. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

TVs, cars..... blah :p

Not sure if this qualifies as a "money hack" or not, but we buy/renew an Accor Plus membership each year (for two ie with an extra card). The value we receive from multiple evenings dining out per year (plus the free accom night/s) makes it well worth it.