Money buys time, freedom and choice.

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by keithj, 8th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

My PPOR in Syd is a 5br 3 living and with the robo doing the running around every day or two, cleaning is a couple of hours for full vac, dust and bathrooms. Kitchen is kept clean as it gets used.

legallyblonde likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

5 hours per week, this includes a thorough job, bathrooms, lots of mirrors, floorboards, no carpet.
    I have 2 dogs so she had to be dog friendly as they follow her around the house.

What I really like is my cleaner uses all natural stuff, vinegar, eucalyptus oil and my houses smells amazing. When I was cleaning it smelt of bleach. I was never really into this, now I am a believer.

Marisa:)

Xenia likes this.
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Wow 15hrs! Do they do other stuff? In one of my frequent daydreams my cleaner would strip all the beds, remake with fresh linen and put the others in the wash. At the moment they just clean.

4-6hrs. I pay $25 and I have 2-3 person team at once so it's done in around 2-3hrs.

LifesGood and Xenia like this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I have 3 kids, one is a teenage boy and his room alone looks like a bomb hit it. I keep threatening to sell him to a zoo.
    also have a dog and 2 cats but the pets don't make anywhere near a mess compared to the kids.
    I have a 5 bedroom house with 3 living areas.
    cleaners pick up all kids stuff from all over the place, lots of tyding up and sorting.
    we also entertain a lot - lots of friends over for dinners etc so the kitchen is the most used place that needs a lot of work every week.
    Cleaners also do outside areas, pergola and outdoor areas, BBQs, cleaning paved areas, windows.

the idea was that they strip beds etc, sometimes they get to that and sometimes they don't because there are other priorities.

MTR likes this.
  5. Westminster

Ah that makes sense @Xenia. Each of my 3 kids will pick up their room the afternoon before and if a certain teenager doesn't pick up his room I won't let the cleaners go in there and he has to clean it himself (my money does't buy him time :rolleyes:). So I just do pick up and sort for the main areas so that there is clear areas to clean.
    Having the outside areas done too is good if you entertain outside a lot.
    My cleaner fantasy is getting better - beds and alfresco area :D

MTR and Gockie like this.
  6. Westminster

@keithj this resonates with me as IPs have enabled me to take back the 40-50hrs I was giving to my employer and give it to myself. As a self employed person I now work a wildly fluctuating amount but it's probably on average around 15-20hrs a week.

RIPs and CIPs don't have to be the recipe for everyone - they may choose the sharemarket, mini retirements, self employment, high paying FIFO job for 5-10yrs to set themselves up etc etc

What do I do with the extra time that I now have?
    - see my kids a lot more. I was leaving the house at 7 and returning at 6 with 2 kids that went to bed at 7pm. Not a lot of kid time.
    - help out at school - I've enjoyed going on school excursions etc
    - take my kids to after school activities like swimming lessons
    - I have lunch with MrWestminster probably 3 times a week
    - I no longer wake up in the middle of the night over work issues (just IP issues!)
    - I have the luxury of being able to sleep in until 9 on the days MrWestminster takes the kids to school
    - I still have a cleaner because I hate cleaning
    - I've been able to look after my health more - one operation last year which meant 6wks no driving etc. One more operation to be scheduled in early this year which I've been putting off for 18mths - this one will involve crutches for a few weeks
    - more travel (my favourite thing!)

LifesGood, Sackie, mrdobalina and 2 others like this.