Technology & Social Media Mobile Telstra vs optus

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ouga, 16th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm thinking Boost or Aldi are probably the best bet. Been doing the BVRT a little west of Brisbane and in locations such as Esk and further north I have had no coverage on Kogan. Partner has a Aldi sim and the coverage is better. I believe Aldi (using part of the Telstra network) isn't as good as Boost or Telstra though. There's some blackspots on Kogan going up the M1 in northern NSW too.

One other thing, i'm not sure what the problem is but I can't open most MMS'es on my phone. I'm not sure if it's because my phone is a middle eastern model parallel import or what. I suppose I could find out if I put a different SIM in.

Last edited: 21st Apr, 2022
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What does this refer to (the way they've acted)?

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Partial answer:
    I know that the price of face masks doubled with Kogan when they became mandatory.

But there are many companies with morally questionable practices. If we avoided all of them, there wouldn't be many left. For instance, there's jobseeker abuse, third world cheap labour, dodgy advertising, rainforest degradation, etc etc

4. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Boost is the only one other than Telstra themselves that use the FULL Telstra Network. There are, however, three differences between Telstra/Boost

1. Use of Telstra Wifi Networks - I think they are the things that sit on top of the old Telstra payphones
    2. Only Telstra can use the 4GX Network which is a sort of 4G+ type thing
    3. Direct International Calls, Boost use what they call VoicetoIP calling.

If the above three things means nothing to you then Boost works out to be about $70 cheaper per year on their 365 day SIMs vs Telstra.

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My Kogan Annual period was nearly over so I got myself a Boost prepaid instead. Porting my number was quick and easy, done within about 5 minutes. Took a week for the SIM to arrive though. And opening MMS'es - off very limited testing, so far so good. That was always something I couldn't do on Kogan.

6. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I would only go for something that uses Telstra for the network coverage. I did have a special deal from JB HiFi that was $45/month with way more data than I needed, but then I got an apple watch and found that it does not support an esim that duplicates my phone number. I had to ditch the JB deal and go with Telstra proper.