Technology & Social Media Mobile phones

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by jins13, 30th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Does the $30 include the phone? Otherwise that's quite expensive.....

The Y-man

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Plenty of cheaper options around with the resellers using Optus or Telstra.

3. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

Been with HTC for quite a few years, great quality phones. Might try the Google Pixel next.

4. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

I had a S7 edge, for about 2 weeks until I dropped it and cracked both the back and front. The edge makes it ridiculously fragile. And who the hell thought it was a good idea to make the back in glass also?!! It defeats the purpose of using a beautifully crafted phone when you have to put it in an enormous case to protect it.

The s8+ is the same size as the S7 edge, but with larger screen.

5. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

What's the problem with the S6 that you need to upgrade?

6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Am I the only one with an iPhone 7?
    As long as it pairs with blue tooth on my car, can handle my pm software and I can call it from across the room and it answers, I'm happy.

7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Omg lol
    That explains why you are not getting my pictures I send by text.

jim1964 likes this.
  8. jim1964

jim1964 1941

My secret is now out.

Xenia likes this.
  9. jim1964

jim1964 1941

The story behind this is this was bought for my Daughter Melissa in grade 7 a few years back, but it was too embarrassing to use..................To prove a point to her i have used this phone for all my businesses for the last 2 years i guess,proved my point.

Xenia likes this.
  10. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

You can get an Amaysim plan for $25 a month - unlimited calls and text (local + international to 12(?) countries) + 1.5GB data.

Data is more than enough for me, but I do like being able to make unlimited length calls. Would have cost me hundreds under the brick phone pre-paid plan that I was previously on.

11. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

And they say that certain Android products are dangerous

13. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Because of the battery used by all the smartphones, they are all prone to do that. Well, that's what a friend said to me but at least Samsung have done something about it and trying to fix the problem.

14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Android alll the way for me.

I love them because they simply work. Theyre simple. Easy to use and get the job done.

Windows phone.... Yuck
    Apple phones...... Are OK but terribly overpriced and I don't like the ios

15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'd been delaying buying a new phone and iPad for a while but I finally bit the bullet. Figured its June and its got to be tax deductible...

Phone:
    I've been using a Samsung Mega 2 (it dates back from 2014) for the past 3 years or so and its been a good phone but it was starting to get annoying to use (For example, Google maps was very slow to use, airtasker app was not supported on it, Uber eats not supported on it)...

Before spending money on it though, my partner had a spare Samsung J3 (2016) he was given from work. I decided to try it, eith the thought maybe I could get away without making a purchase. In general the J3 is an upgrade/nicer to use compared to the 2014 Mega but I found its 8Gb internal space to be a sticking point!! So useless! After loading my apps in, there's already no more free internal space! (And you can't load a lot of apps to an additional SD card).

Anyway, I've been a happy Samsung user so I've stuck with the brand. I previously tried HTC but it didn't "do it" for me if you know what i mean.

After doing more research I ended up ordering a Dual Sim Samsung Galaxy A8 with 64Gb internal space from T-dimension for $458.26. Such a bargain. A lower spec model (single sim, only 32 Gb (not 64Gb) internal space) from Samsung Australia or JB Hifi retails for $649. And what surprised me was that even from Kogan that T-Dimension phone was about $609... so much more...

Yes, I know that if I need support then it could be hard because it's from HK, but for the price and features included, it was just so much cheaper.

I chose the A8 because of the price, I like how the screen is the vast majority of the surface, the size seems like it will be a good balance betwen screen size and portability (the Mega has a bigger screen phone but to be honest, the slightly smaller one will be better for 1 handed use.... eg. Pushing the unicycle around with one hand while checking when the next train will come is a juggling act) plus its water resistant, camera is supposedly is good...

Other features all seem like positives too. I think there's a chance prices might go up next month (GST on international purchases?) Anyway, I'm happy and anticipating its arrival :)

IPad
    On the iPad front... I had been using an iPad 2 since maybe 2013? And it wasn't working so well - apps not opening, websites very unresponsive.... I thought about getting a laptop/tablet combination but figured I just need the tablet, and rather go with the brand im comfortable with.

So i just bought the iPad 6 ($469 from JB Hifi. 32 GB). But I can save most of what I need on the cloud and the previous one was 16Gb and that space was fine. I figured the price was good. So responsive! I also like the upgrade to OS11. I like the pushdown keyboard function (if you use it you'll know what I mean).

I cleared out everything from the iPad 2 though amd restored the factory settings. Now the iPad 2 seems ok to use again!

Anyway... so there you go. :)

16. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Not a huge problem, but for me being able to use a charging mat was the key reason for upgrading to a S8