Technology & Social Media Mobile Phone Plan

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 20th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Optus have some good deals atm. 16gb shared data and $80/month for 2 x mobile unlimited calls, text etc.

Just got my wife a new phone with them and I changed from Vodafone that was costing me $80/month and now $80 for both.

Amaysim (optus network) always seem to be competitive and worth checking out.

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I use Aldi mobile, as its on Telstra and where I live is Telstra signal only.

WestOz and EN710 like this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I was surprised today to find out it was Vodafone.

It's been a good signal anywhere in Canberra, and on the road Melbourne-Canberra-Sydney-Newcastle- enough for streaming audio. It dropped out in a couple of places from Canberra to Bateman's Bay, and in one remoter part of Lake Eucumbene. I don't know if the other networks would have covered these areas.

EN710 likes this.
  4. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I use Vodafone for my personal phone and Telstra for my work phone. There is no real difference in Metro areas (Vodafone data is actually quicker!).. in the country it's a whole different story. Even driving up to QLD (from Syd) Vodafone drops out in many parts.

EN710 likes this.
  5. geoffw

I've changed my view. I had a number of data dropouts in Melbourne recently, where I could not access any data services- and yes, I did check my phone settings. That included one in Armadale (inner ring) where I could not navigate (though I'm not sure whether this was a network issue tbh).

6. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Buy the opus $10 prepaid for $2 when on special at Woolworth or Coles activate on $2 a day unlimited calls and text Have 500mb a day
    I give this to visitors

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'm on the Kogan Prepaid Medium - using a Nokia 638 Windows 8 - so I can never be sure if it's the network or phone when I have issues :D

My unit is fine at home and work (E & NE subs of Melb) but like @geoffw there seems to be a "dead spot" in the inner SE. For me, the signals in Clayton (near Hospital) are woeful, whereas the TLS units have been fine.

Regionally, I have had no notoiceable probs travelling the Bruce Hwy up to Maryborough from BrisVegas, or travelling south to the GC.

The Y-man

EN710 likes this.
  8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I'll find out I guess, bought the plan last week :p

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

10. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

Interesting given that I haven’t been able to get Optus coverage in any of the three houses I’ve lived in in Brisbane. Have now switched to Aldi (Telstra) and it’s not perfect, but I do get two bars in my unit

11. geoffw

You're going to be permanently inebriated!

12. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

I got a new iPhone 7 on the $130/mth plan discounted for $75/mth over 24 months.
    30GB data
    unlimited calls and text
    International, 1gb data and 750 mins calls/mth
    shared data with my wife ph.

Optus.

13. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

That’s why I picked the place Geoff!

geoffw likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Well you'll be p¡$$€d if you don't have coverage

luckyone likes this.
  15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I've been trying to port a Telstra number to Kogan (who I think use vodafone) since Monday night.

I got an email this morning (Wednesday) to say the port failed today. I checked it out and it turns out Telstra spelt my middle name wrong on my account and I think this was the cause of the failure. They couldn't change it over the phone so I had to go to a Telstra shop and have it changed. I went back to Kogan to try to port it again and it failed again! ! I called Telstra and apparently there was some kind of technicality/glitch in the porting. :(

So i'm phone connectionless a bit longer... just not so good to have no phone service while I'm here in my home country.

Btw. I never knew you can't go directly from a Telstra corporate plan direct to another provider, you have to convert the corporate plan account service to a personal account before it can be done. Why? I dunno. Seems like red tape or revenue raising though.

16. The Y-man

Same with Optus.
    It was insane when I finished up with work. Luckily the lady at work knew exactly how it worked, and the right forms to fill, but it was still stressful.

I had to go and buy a $2 optus sim card, and have my corporate account ported to a private account. Stupid thing is, it couldn't be ported to a prepaid account - had to be a postpay.... grrr.

Optus assured me (after many phone calls) that I wouldn't get charged (theoretically) if I ported from my new private postpay account straight away to another account.

Anyway, it took a few weeks (lucky I started the process a few weeks before finishing up!) until I got a message saying the new private postpay optus account was active. Shutting off my phone to make sure no data or anything got consumed, I quickly requested a port to Kogan.

It all worked ok in the end - although I did get a near cardiac arrest when Optus sent me a 1 month postpay bill - about which they said to ignore when I called them (they said the system automatically prints and sends, but then they would apply a credit later - holy heck!). A nervous one month later, the optus side got all sorted out, and days of kogan began!

The Y-man

Last edited: 14th Dec, 2017
    EN710 likes this.
  17. The Y-man

Ugh - just had a slight hiccup with Kogan.

My original prepay 365 day account was expiring 20th Dec. So I recharged yesterday (13th). Now my account shows it will expire 13/12 2018 - so I lose a week of data!! :mad:

Just shot an email asking "please explain"......

The Y-man

18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I've had a week of hiccups with porting and it's still not sorted. I think it stemmed from Telstra not getting my middle name right on my account. Then it ended up in a limbo state. Porting has been rejected 3 times.....:mad:

Last edited: 14th Dec, 2017
  19. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

There are some crazy deal right now at Optus and Telstra for $59

Telstra pixel 2 - 15G a month and $100 JB gift card
    Optus iphone 8 - 20G a month

these phones cost around $1000-$1100 each so you paying less than $400 for 24 months of that data crazy cheap

20. The Y-man

I just can't get anywhere close to that sort of data usage though! Most months I struggle to get to 1GB.....

The Y-man