Missing NBN-Box

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Pumpkin, 13th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Last year we have the pleasure of a case of missing NBN-Box from the property....
    Upon our Tenants moving-out, we all did the right thing by telling them to leave the NBN-Box in the property, to which they obliged. Nice Tenants, we shook hand and bid farewell to each other.
    2-weeks later, they rang to tell that in the new Address, the PM couldnt locate the NBN-Box and they have been back and forth with all parties trying to sort that out.......

Subsequently we did the same to all our Tenants and no issue so far.

Today we have a similar problem but a bit different: a friend bought a house and notice that although there was a NBN socket, there is no NBN Box in sight. Contacted the Sales Agent and they are still chasing after 3-weeks.

It's mind boggling how NBN let this happen. Can PC'ers please share your experience?
    Has anyone been able to successfully get one from NBN or any ISP Provider? Or did you have to pay for one?
    Thanks in advance!

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

What does the ISP say?

The Y-man

Pumpkin likes this.
  3. Pumpkin

Havent got an ISP yet... Just settled and getting ready for Tenants. Have only been talking to Sales Agent...

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The ISP will arrange it when the time comes to connect.

Pumpkin and Tom Rivera like this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Some NTDs will only work for that location and yes they do say all over them that the belong to NBN and not to remove so if the old owners have taken it then it's probably useless in the new location to them.

Pumpkin and The Y-man like this.
  6. Pumpkin

Sounds like nobody had any experience.... hmmmm

7. Scott No Mates

No, NBN will replace it for free (at present) but this will not happen until someone requests a service.

You can't contact NBN directly as they are a wholesaler, you can't buy one from Officetwerks or out the back of the pub, your service provider will arrange it If and when required.

wylie and Pumpkin like this.
  8. Pumpkin

Thanks for this. But I am really asking for someone who has experience in dealing with this.
    I hear a lot of Someone should/will do Something. But the real story from our Ex-Tenant was it was really hard and took them many months. We have lost communication with them since then. (Guess they'd rather spend their time with the current PM not us)

9. tickelz

tickelz Member

This happened to me before.

All you do is contact your ISP and they organise an NBN rep to come to the property and install a new box free of charge.

You first need to get an ISP so they can organise it for you. Just notify them that the NBN box is missing during sign up and they will organise to send someone out.

This is in Victoria but I'm guessing it's the same all over Australia.

What everyone else said is correct. Just contact your ISP that you're planning on connecting with.

Pumpkin likes this.
  10. Pumpkin

Many thanks for this, it is most helpful. Everyone here is rather anxious and we can afford not having Internet for one day :(:rolleyes:....
    It is crazy on NBN part to have commissioned such a faulty Design IMHO. It should be attached to the wall or something, not floating and looks like a Removable. Thinking about the money wasted.... Previous Resident/Tenant/Removalist took it by mistake, found out it's of no use to them, then bin it!

11. tickelz

tickelz Member

Agreed!

From memory it took about 4-5 days to get a rep to the property to install a new box. This was with Aussie Broadband which are quite good in following up things like this. Not sure how long a different ISP would take.

I think even if they do attach it to the wall, people always assume that as long as it's not hardwired into the property, that it can be removed and taken.

Pumpkin likes this.
  12. Pumpkin

Thanks for agreeing with me. I am not an Engineer, I consider myself a housewife with good common sense. It's up to someone else to come out with an appropriate design but yeah, some Owners didnt like the idea that it is not hard-wired and they need to produce yet another power-point.
    For me, from aesthetic point of view, it's just plain ugly to have so many devices sitting on the bench, too much clutter!

13. Scott No Mates

Over 10 years in Telco as my bread and butter isn't enough? Much better to rely on someone who's done it once. :confused:

It's a component in a house. Some of the other installation types have hard-wired equipment eg FTTB/FTTP installed in MDUs.

You paid nothing for it & you recieved something in return. If you want a neater system installed, NBN is more than happy to provide a quote.

mikey7 likes this.