Minimum requirements for a property

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Leon_13, 8th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Leon_13

Leon_13 New Member

Hi, I'm a tenant in South Australia and I'm wondering if anyone can help me with what is deemed as essential/necessary maintenace.

Basically the main two things i would like to know is:
    Does my landlord HAVE to put a doorhandle on my front door? Currently the only thing that keeps it shut and locked is a deadlock which we have had to get a locksmith out a couple of times to fix. We've requested to have at least a handle on there but landlord keeps dodging it and PM is no help.

Secondly, is a clothesline deemed essential? We had a clothesline but its rusted that much that its snapped and fallen to the ground and there is no space for a dryer, being in a house that already has no ventilation and a mould problem, having a portable airdryer inside isnt the best.

Thanks and sorry for the long post

2. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

Hi Leon, in all honesty, "putting a doorhandle on front door" is not considered an "urgent" nor "essential" issue thus it's not an obligation on the landlord's part. However, if you had to get a locksmith out a couple of times, this probably signifies a defective deadlock, so this becomes the landlord's responsibility. Show the receipts to the PM, highlight the safety/security issues due to a defective lock, and insist that the PM quickly gets this fixed.

Forward to PM the photos of the rusted and snapped clotheline. It's time the landlord replaces it.

3. Leon_13

Leon_13 New Member

I'll try ask about the lock again, the main reason I've asked is because i was told by someone that a door should be unlockable from the inside without use of a key, which i wanted to be certain was correct.

As for the clothesline, I've emailed a few times with photos and keep getting told 'maybe' for the past 4 months

Thanks for your response