Minimum Bedroom Dimensions

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Art Vandelay, 30th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Well-Known Member

We're currently renovating a small 2 bedroom house we recently bought in Brisbane (kitchen, paint, flooring). Whilst trying not to overcapitalise, we're considering converting the laundry into a third bedroom. Disregarding the cost - I'm concerned about the size of the room which would be approximately 2.4 x 4 m. The house is fairly small with the current bedrooms being 2.9 x 3.5m.

Would you consider this too small to call a bedroom? Whilst we would like to achieve 50-70pw more in rent, the driver behind this is a higher valuation. Would this be considered a third bedroom for the purpose of a valuation?

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I've seen many bedrooms that are 2.5 x 3 which was a common size in the 80s in WA.

I think 2.4 x 4 will be fine. Its certainly a minor bedroom not a master bedroom size but it's AOK.

Art Vandelay likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Sounds like it will match the existing rooms, it won't be obviously smaller than the rest of the house. Much better use of space!

Art Vandelay likes this.
  4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I've seen smaller bedrooms . The narrow width is compensated by the length .

I'd go with the change , though not sure how much it would increase the value .

From the rent point and resale it would be worth it .

Cliff

Art Vandelay likes this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

... :oops:

rhinsor and OC1 like this.
  6. Art Vandelay

Thanks all.

We will likely go ahead with it over the Christmas period, aiming to have it on the rental market early-mid January.

7. Jake Milne

Jake Milne Well-Known Member

I think 2.4 is too narrow personally. Anything less than 2.8 wide is really not a great bedroom. My rule of thumb when buying is that all bedrooms must be >9sqm in total, with a preference of 3x3 or larger in a square shape.

Art Vandelay likes this.
  8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Can be done, especially as a 3rd bedroom in an older property. You wouldn't do it in a new build but I think it could be worth it if done cheaply. A double bed is only 1880mm so there's still room for bedside/s although obviously not heaps if you put 2.

Alternatively it could be a combined study and guest bedroom for someone and i can imagine that having appeal

Art Vandelay likes this.
  9. Art Vandelay

Luckily the doorway is at one end, so the bed could be against the wall opposite the doorway. Queen bed is 153cm across, so with a little extra for the frame and a couple of narrow bedside tables it should be okay.

The property will be at the lower end of the market - on a great block, but a small late 50's house. We plan to push it over in 5ish years and split the block, so making sure we don't overcapitalise. Hence we're not worried about appealing to buyers - just renters and most importantly valuers.
    Tradies in the family mean we can keep the cost down, so it's just a matter of timing over the Christmas break.

bob shovel likes this.
  10. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

oops yup i quoted length there not width.