House & Home Minimalist lifestyle

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Arecaceae, 14th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Arecaceae

Arecaceae Well-Known Member

Minimalist or simplistic living is not a new concept. The idea of getting rid of clutter and, to use a colloquial term, "stuff" has been around for a while.
    In fact, there are references to minimalism throughout history. (For thousands of years, Buddhists, for example, have avoided material possessions.)
    However, the practice did not become popular until the twentieth century, when it was embraced by writers, photographers, beatniks, architects, and, most importantly, artists.
    However, as with all movements, minimalism has evolved over time, but thanks to Marie Kondo and the rise of tiny homes, the practice is experiencing a revival. People all over the the world are realising that less really can be more.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you like to live a minimalist lifestyle?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

come on, you must have read that in a book. Monks are supposed to have just 8 possessions, but not Buddhists in general. Its in ideal that is not followed by many.

I think it is good and every time I move house I realise how much useless crap I have. I would love to get down to 4 pairs of undies and a laptop. mobile, perhaps some other clothes too. thats all I would need.

27269, Kevbo, sanj and 1 other person like this.
  3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I do it. I'm not militant about it but I have very few clothes, some hand me down furniture and a bike. Other than my work stuff and paintings (family heirlooms) that's about it.

I hate stuff. It just slows me down.

I much prefer to spend my money on investing, travelling and helping others.

27269, willair and Terry_w like this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say I'm minimalist but I definitely am minimal in my lifestyle.

If something isn't used regularly - I simply love aesthetically - or is a "valued" (not trinket tat) heirloom then it goes. Yes, I have had some toss out regrets in the past, but it is fleeting

I probably sort out my clothes 6 times a year - love clear surfaces everywhere including the kitchen - and acknowledge I do have to much stuff atm ... but then I do live with two other people and they need to be able to choose what stays (gulp) and what goes.

What makes me "not" minimalist is that I like colour, art and books

5. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

I've been living out of hotel rooms and a suitcase for months, and I can't wait to get back to the majesty and expanse of my 2br unit home. With a fridge!

I will rejoice as I cast my eye over my garage with my motorcycle, power tools and golf clubs. My washing shall hang from a clothes line outside, not draped everywhere I can find in the room.

I shall sit on a couch - a couch I say!! And I will work at my standing desk with good ergonomics, not hunched over my laptop on a too-low coffee table, whilst sitting in a crap hotel chair.

Stuff is good. Your own stuff is great.

spoon, SuperOlaf, inertia and 4 others like this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yeah not for me. I like nice things. Good things. Not junk. If it's junk and making a mess then get rid of it. But if you have the space to house nice things without clutter and enjoy it then I'm all for it. I like having the choice of nice clothes, nice aftershave etc

wylie likes this.
  7. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

What would be a successful model of minimalism in property investing or portfolio? Many would like things to be a bit simpler with less problems.Also how does simplicity or minimalism blend in with risk management or say spreading your risk out?

Arecaceae likes this.
  8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

With increasing affluence homes have become bigger and need more “stuff” to fill them up.

“Standard” these days is 4x2x2 with 2/3 living areas! Yet families are becoming smaller.

Compare this with the “norm” of less than 50 years ago - 2/3 bedrooms, one bathroom, one kitchen/dining, one living (/dining) area, small laundry. Single garage if you were lucky.

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

And say 50 years ago, most of those houses would have been home to a family of five. One bathroom... the horror :rolleyes:

... and go back another 40 years, and those same houses would have been home to a family of eight or more.

Our first home was two bedrooms, no storage, and third tiny sunroom accessed from the other bedrooms. Seven kids grew up in that house, plus the parents. One bathroom.

My very first house was one bedroom, one teeny, tiny sleep out. I reckon it would also have held a family of five in the 1940s.

I smile when I read about people need more space because their three bedroom house is too small now they are having a baby.

Angel and Marg4000 like this.
  10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I grew up in a house like this, 4 kids. 3 bedrooms so mum and extremely lucky to have 2 girls and 2 boys!

I well remember queueing for the (thankfully separate) toilet!

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

We have done this with our portfolio and most of our current business ventures via property managers, project managers and business managers. I deal with my property managers only when there is an issue over $200 and for contract renewals. I liase with my project managers once as week or if an issue comes up during the week and similar with my business managers. Most of my business is delegated out and I oversee the important decisions once a week. Saves a lot of time and unnecessary meetings. I'm all for being as free as possible to enjoy life with family and friends as much as possible. The less real estate takes up wasting my and my family's time the better. Financial wealth is always only the vehicle to living a great and free life. It never is THE goal to be obsessed about.

Last edited: 15th Oct, 2021
    Serveman, Arecaceae and Baker like this.
  12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Minimalist living is not necessarily equal to simplistic mindset.
    Look at history- Ghandi, mother tersea , nikola tesla etc all lived Spartan..yet noone worldwide has or will ever accuse them of having a simplistic mindset- quite the opposite.
    Having said that, im sure there are many who are the opposite as well. Not a bad thing per se either way, to each their own. Just calling out the two are not interrelated.

wylie, Lizzie and Arecaceae like this.