Minimal termite preventative treatments?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Ace in the Hole, 10th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

We recently acquired a large double Storey freestanding old house which has had a small amount of termite activity in the past.
    There doesn’t seem to be any current activity as I’ve been over the whole house with a thorough cosmetic reno, but haven’t inspected the subfloor.

Plans are to hold for rental returns then knock down and develop in the short to mid term, maybe 5 or so years.
    We have 2 adjacent blocks and hoping to pick up a 3rd one in near future.

The property is in a bit of a risky area and was wondering what the minimal amount of preventative action we should take.

Would an annual inspection be sufficient or should we get a chemical treatment or something else?
    Seems a bit like deciding on an insurance policy.....

2. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

Had something similar in a high risk area. As I had no plans to knock down I went the chemical termite barrier route. Cost $3,300 for a 5 year barrier and still needed an inspection every year to keep the warranty at $230 per inspection. To treat live termites in a tree stump nearby It was about $260.
    Personally if I was knocking it down and no active termites or structural damage I would get an inspection every year, treat any live termites nearby and make sure there are no trees, wood and water outlets within 1 meter of the house.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd agree, least invasive would be best in this instance, annual P&B inspection should pick up any issues if there's no current risk factors.

Ryan23 and Ace in the Hole like this.
  4. Ace in the Hole

Thanks guys.
    I'll do the annual inspection and hopefully catch anything early enough before too much damage is done.

Ryan23 likes this.
  5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Do the footing have ant caps ?

rolf

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Get a thermal one done. That will tell you if there's active termites, not just previous damage.

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

20201211_084910.jpg
    Hoovex, surface spray available from Bunnings,
    Temprid, profesional pest surface spray, I use to spray footings and piers 3-6 months.
    Inground bait station with timber inserts, spaced every 2meters to risky boundary, checked 3-12 months.
    Sentricon poison bait, placed under house in high risk area, bathroom/laundry, can also be buried near infested tree to kill nest.

Clearing around house and removing timber and stumps helps

Last edited: 11th Dec, 2020
  8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

We all know the fire triangle.....
    Well termites need moisture, food and warmth !

This is why they are often found around a leaking bathroom/laundry or other sources of moisture :eek:

Best to ensure there's no dodgy plumbing, and all downpipes are not only connected but functional ;)

Unlike the below :confused:
    Down pipe not connected to guttering, and worse not connected to stormwater system o_O @Ace in the Hole

Attached Files:

9. Ace in the Hole

Yeah, that's some dodgy work there..
    Should get it fixed up.