Mindset is like breathing...

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by keithj, 1st Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

You can have a good mindset and still be an idiot.

And plenty of idiots have no 'mindset'.

Interesting to see the effort that some people go into denigrating successful people who believe in a 'mindset'.

Xenia and Sackie like this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Just need not to be an idiot... and have a good work attitude and /or mindset

BigKahuna likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

All I know is, if top athletes, business people, entrepreneurs and other professionals are spending the effort and time to delve into 'mindset' development, then I sure as hell am too. Anyone can say 'mindset' is all nonsense, but it’s impossible to judge anyone’s actual results based on their beliefs. Which is fine of course. It’s only an online forum, so we take everything with a large pinch of salt.

Xenia and BigKahuna like this.
  4. BigKahuna

I watched the Australian Open and the interviews following. All the big players get a lot of training/counselling in 'mindset'. You can tell by listening to what they say--they way they talk about themselves and others; the way they view the world--that they've had a lot of training in 'mindset'. I would probably call them 'core beliefs'. Amazing the self-talk (internal talk) that goes with the core beliefs. Elite sportspeople obviously have a lot of help along the way with their core beliefs.

Xenia, Sackie and Property Twins like this.
  5. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with people's beliefs... It's when people try to push it on others I have an issue.

Do what you need to do for you, but don't presume you know what is good for others.

Perthguy, S.T, keithj and 2 others like this.
  6. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

True. That's why the Australian cricket team was so invincible for so many years. They are great sportsmen and have had a great attitude / self talk.

Contrary to that, the 2nd team that I follow, struggle as they don't have the same support systems around them. It's called mental conditioning.

Xenia, Sackie and BigKahuna like this.
  7. BigKahuna

It's called mental conditioning.

That's really interesting @MsAli . I didn't realise that. I think we could all use a bit of 'mental conditioning' in our everyday lives. lol.

Xenia and Property Twins like this.
  8. BigKahuna

Funny that, b/c I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone on the forum expecting others to follow suit on 'mindset'. Perhaps you can give an example.

Xenia and Sackie like this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

How do you explain Trump then? :p

Eric Wu, JessicaP, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  10. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I think it is difficult to say their mindset was responsible for their great performance. Maybe they were just really good at cricket?

Property Twins and keithj like this.
  11. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Possible. Difficult to keep maintaining IMHO at that level without any training / feedback. Evident with how the Aussies play vs. some others

BigKahuna and Sackie like this.
  12. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

or just awesome at sledging?

MRO, Property Twins and 158 like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Iowa caucus vote as we speak :) This is gonna be interesting!

14. JessicaP

JessicaP Well-Known Member

How to find work you love - Scott Dinsmore

Just listened to this and thought of this thread. And then thought of all the people in my life who have said/still say it can't be done. None of this can be done - heard that before? Property investment is too risky, you will lose it all. Property development? You must be kidding. Apply that to any wealth building method (shares, business etc). It's hard when you have been raised with that mindset and are still surrounded by it. That's why people need to work on "mindset". To unlearn all the things we have been taught since tiny...

Jess Peletier, Perthguy and Sackie like this.
  15. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Probably, at the time.

How does one explain slumps in performance?
    Some of the best sportspeople and teams suffer extended periods of slumps.
    It's not as simple as resetting the mindset to instantly go back to peak levels again instantly.

How about the All Blacks, they absolutely dominate, and it's not like all the other teams aren't trying..

There's more to it...

BigKahuna and Sackie like this.
  16. BigKahuna

I think it takes both. You can be the best in the world at your sport/craft/job but if you don't have the right 'mindset' you won't be successful. For example, if Djokovic did not have the right mindset, he would have lost heart after losing the first set to Andy Murray and he would have given up altogether.

Sackie and Xenia like this.
  17. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Lucky Djokovic beat Murray in straights sets the other night then, no mindset required.

18. BigKahuna

lol, Milos Raonic then

19. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

It's impossible to push mindet on others mindset is leadership, it's success it's connecting with and understanding yourself, it's self motivation it is not a thing or a belief you can push on others.

People who have no conceptual understanding of what it is will make it about something else - beliefs, religions, rocks or anything that they can grab an understanding of. It's none of those things because the real concept is not within their reality.

Some of the comments here are naive (-and funny) and the perceptions of "mindet" that some people are arguing with do not even exist.

It's like looking at a chicken and saying "I don't like dogs, the have too many feathers" - absolute none sense.

How can you be against your own ability to be successful if you really understood what it was.

BigKahuna likes this.
  20. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is that any sports team/atheletes that aren't 'invincible' don't have a great attitude/self talk?

Also, what the heck is self talk? How is that even a thing?