Millionaire next door

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by tomlemke, 28th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. johnpendlebury

johnpendlebury Well-Known Member

And where do you work that has a carpark full of cars like that!

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think his a Doc, probably a plastic surgeon:p, those stinking rich busturds.... that's a joke

Bran likes this.
  3. 158

158 Well-Known Member

If you care to notice, @Bran has posted numerous times he is an Oncology Surgeon.

pinkboy

4. johnpendlebury

Ah yes, i recall him saying that.

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Macca'nats

6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I know what the owner/s does/do, but it is not the same field as me unfortunately. Actually, none of my colleagues AFAIK would be in the position to buy something like this, and if they are, then they choose not to.

I told you I got offered a job for 10x my salary that I declined for moral reasons? It was more akin to this.

Or maybe I just cruise around all day looking for these and don't work at all ;)

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hehe. I was having fun because my daughter recently had to have plastic surgery about 2 weeks ago, they earn a damn good living.

8. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Very true - don't see a point buying handbags although i know a person who collects them as investments (and doesn't even use them) but cars nowadays if you factor in mercedes and BMW giving 5 years service free & free pickup and delivery for service plus 24 hours remote service support and throw in the reverse sensor cameras and latest GPS with intergration to iphone for example on a BMW X1 it is not much different in price to a camry or accord. You change cars to avoid hassles with warranty and hassles of things needing to be replaced.

Kmac likes this.
  9. johnpendlebury

100% they are in a position to do it. I have several friends who have. But they have no assets and in one particular instance is renting. He drives around in an Aston Martin though. On that salary, leasing a 400-600k car is possible. Madness, but possible.

10. johnpendlebury

10x your Registrar salary or current Consultant Surgeon salary?

11. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

This is a really interesting thread.

Personally my wife and I like nice cars and bikes. We don't do holidays as they're a waste of money and usually you have nothing to show for them when you get back (possibly an STD if you're unlucky). You can always drive a nice car (or bike) but the holiday is over when you get back.

We started with f@*! all and have made a few investments. We spoilt ourselves a little this year by ordering a couple of factory built German performance cars along with topping up the Ducati collection.

Each to their own however I don't begrudge anyone for their choices. Some people are tight arses, some are spend thrifts, and others in between. It's all good!

drg86 and teg499 like this.
  12. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

Yeah, stop bragging about your car and get back to saving lives or whatever :p

I clearly need to get in touch with this person and buy the bags off her. (And then proceed to trash them - I have terrible habit of breaking/ruining things.)

Incredible memories? To each his own, of course. I wouldn't trade standing on the Colosseum stage for anything.

Kashmir, Bran and MTR like this.
  13. melbournian

having porsches and ferrarris are a killer in terms of service and insurance.Unless you earning massive amounts and willing to spend on these items i wouldn't consider getting these cars. My family had one overseas and it is not cheap to maintain (it was taken off a creditor due to business debt that couldn't be repaid). After a couple of years, had to sell it as it was too expensive to maintain.
    upload_2015-12-30_12-35-56.png

SerenityNow and MTR like this.
  14. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I have worked and lived in many countries (first and third world) and traveled to many more. The things that i've seen and experienced could only be put into a book. However now we're happy to be back in Australia and not concerned if I ever see another airport lounge again.

15. SerenityNow

In some ways I'm with you (depth and breadth of travel) but perhaps it's only after you see all that, that you decide no more lounges? I'm also with you on that last one (no more travel for a while) - but do you really regret it? I certainly don't, it's been incredible, and I don't personally know anyone who regrets their travel.

radson and melbournian like this.
  16. melbournian

very true - each to their own. i personally dun like cars in general and probbaly only drive once a week and rather use a push bike to get around where i live. i travel a lot though been to europe 3 times over the last few years. i do enjoy luxury travel though. :)

upload_2015-12-30_13-5-32.png

17. SerenityNow

Luxury or bust, especially on that long-ass leg to Europe. (I just really hate flying though, so on my part it's mostly an attempt to avoid the crowds) Why is Australia in the middle of nowhere?

I'm with you on not really understanding cars, though. Being an ignoramus is a great help in saving money ;)

MTR likes this.
  18. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

MTR likes this.
  19. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I don't regret my travels from an experiences perspective (people, culture, food, work). These are priceless and something that many of my family and friends will never know about. The mundane parts of travel burnt me out (transit times, delayed flights, jet lag, time zones, crying kids in planes etc.). It all goes together I guess.

20. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

alexm, MTR and SerenityNow like this.