Millionaire next door

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by tomlemke, 28th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

After reading this book it defiantly changed my perspective on the world, every time i see someone now in a fancy car or a nice suit i always wonder if these people are all show or are genuinely able to enjoying the fruits of success and not just trying to keep up with the jones.

A guy i regularly chat to at the gym who is really down to earth, wears the same ripped singlet everyday drives a 10 year old hilux. He recently let it slip that he has 2 large developments nearing complition and just sold his ppor for 2.8m.
    This put a huge smile on my face as it was basically what the whole book was about.

Would love to hear some other examples, how many millionaire next doors are on property chat?
    would your neighbours be shocked if they knew how much you were worth?

Lizzie, Lil Skater, Xenia and 10 others like this.
  2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I try to help my 12 yo daughter understand this - her friends boast about their double story houses and she feels crap that our house is single story and half renovated. I asked her how many stories we have all together, and she felt much better then! But it's hard and an ongoing challenge to help her see that having lots of 'stuff' to show off is not the goal.

Paterson00, Hanison, Xenia and 7 others like this.
  3. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I know the school mums would be surprised. I rock up wearing whatever is clean, if I've been busy PM-wrangling my hair sometimes is unbrushed and pulled back and I wear thongs (the shoe kind). And I get out of my Hyundai compared to others who are in their Beemers and Audis. I'm not rich tho, but I'd say we're doing better than the average.

733 likes this.
  4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I definitely relate to this and have had similar conversations with my 11 year old daughter.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  5. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Some people are "comfortable" with where they're at and don't need to flaunt it. Like somebody driving a 10 year old hilux while wearing a ripped singlet can be a multi millionaire, on the flip side someone driving a Bimmer wearing a suit can be broke. Each to their own.

6. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

There's Flash Cash and there's Real Cash.

7. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

If the broke ass with the bmw died tomorrow he was the smart one ;)

I'm all for delayed gratification is OK to a point but some people let it go on for too long. The way some people on here carry on you would think they are going to live to 150.

Stash some away but splash some cash too peeps. Life is short don't deprive yourself of a good time.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Who cares seriously? Won't change my world or view on a person whether they drive a Porsche or holden, all to their own.

Ask yourself why it matters?

Last edited: 28th Dec, 2015
    2FAST4U, pianissimo, neK and 4 others like this.
  9. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Agree Biz..
    Also you can't take it with you and why would you want to leave it all to the kids anyway!!:D

D.T. likes this.
  10. iDex

iDex Well-Known Member

Yeah I think MTR is right, caring or worrying about other people's life won't do a lot for you. I've learnt recently is that it is best to concentrate on yourself (and family to some extent).

2FAST4U, Jkat, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  11. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I want to run my own race.

12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

What a pointless thread.

13. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

This all comes down to perception and perceived value.

Our culture has indoctrinated us like a bunch of sheep into thinking that having flash shiny things is good. The more Capitalist, materialistic shiny possessions you have makes you better than the next man..
    But who is to say that having a fancy car over an old one is better? It comes down to our value set.

So yes I agree enjoying your money and not leaving it buried in the backyard or I when you are too decrepit to enjoy it is paramount, but enjoy it on the things tht make you happy, not what society tells you to enjoy it on.

oracle likes this.
  14. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

What a pointless post!

Perthguy, Paterson00, oracle and 7 others like this.
  15. pommy

pommy Well-Known Member

Good luck! Many adults don't get that. Infact not having stuff frees up time. Half the square metres, one less car etc. will save hours in 'maintaining' let alone the $. Having said that not ready to live in a tent.

16. tomlemke

Guess old habits are hard to break, i would have to of gone close to spending the most on consumables this year.

17. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

That's good to know ;)

That's me on the left. I am known to have the worst car in the carpark of all three workplaces. My car even has its own instagram thread where people I know park their super cars next to mine and send me the photo - such as this one.

Safety issues aside, most repairs can be made with the cost of one month's repayments.

Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 6.59.39 am.png

18. tomlemke

3:38am this thread must of really ticked you off :)

bob shovel likes this.
  19. tomlemke

haha that is hilarious

inertia and Bran like this.
  20. keithj

keithj Well-Known Member

It's a great book... I'd summarise it in 2 sentences.....

Ordinary people can get to be millionaires when they realise that life is not about appearances.
    When smart people get to be millionaires they don't give a **** what well dressed, poor people think.

2FAST4U, oracle, S.T and 9 others like this.