Mildura Rental market

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Shawn, 24th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Shawn how is the rental property going, I had the first open on Saturday for a rental in a undesirable location, the demand was hot 50 people inspected it, on Monday one said they would sign up and move in on Friday, on Wednesday changed her mind and didn't sign the contract, next day somebody else signed the contract at $30 above the previous rent and $ 20 above the agents appraisal.

2. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

@Fargo moved over to Susan Gray on Wednesday. First open is Monday at lunchtime. I truly hope it goes well!

3. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Shawn I drove past that area to-day and drove down Brodie Close, , there is at MDAS housing in Etherington Dr and there has been some problems there. It also looks like some in Brodie Close or at least like some other government housing, going by the barren landscaping, old commodores and childrens toys and play equipment. All subdivision have to have some commission housing.

4. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

@Fargo thanks for the insight.
    I had an open home yesterday for the property and zero people turned up. Agent is organising another open on Friday. Hopefully someone shows up then.

5. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

6. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

It sounds to me, but I am only guessing that your house is near a property owned by an organization who receive massive government grants, part of that organization purpose is to provide housing for tenants who have been evicted and are unable to qualify for other housing as they have to live somewhere. They also get free legal services, they are free too do what they like eg be absent from school, vandalise and steal, it is often kids but not always, the police wont do anything because it is a waste of time because the courts wont do anything. They will repeatedly target the same nearby properties as they are lazy and so they don't have far to carry the loot. and target people who have lodged complaints about them. Some-times the housing providers play musical chairs with them and relocate them. It is tried to be kept secret that they are the owners of the house and they will deny they are the owners.

7. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

@Fargo I hope not! That's why I did my DD prior to purchase.

8. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

Just an update to this thread.

House was rented 22nd December 2015 for $310pw

Had to drop rent by $30pw but that's life ain't it?

9. gojogo

gojogo New Member

We have recently purchased a house in Mildura and have Barry Plant as pm. They seem slow in returning calls to interested parties and with over 200 views I'm disappointed that we have not found a tenant (although I should ad it has only been 3 weeks) Had a good application though, but lost out because too slow getting back to them. Is this normal for regionals as we had the same lack of interest when we were looking to buy?

10. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Is this normal for Regionals?

Nope... Sounds like he is a Lazy B....o_O

11. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

From my experience over the past year in Mildura, this is what I have to say. There appear to be 2 distinctive types of agents :

1. Proactive
    When there's a problem, lets you know but handles it from end to end, keeping you in the loop
    ie : Tenant defaults, immediately issues a notice to vacate (2 weeks rent owing) and a notice for VCAT.

2. Reactive
    When there's a problem, tells you about it, takes time to implement ..
    ie : Notifies you tenant hasn't paid. You say to get tenant to pay or kick them out. PM will call tenant a week later and ask for payment (costing you one additions weeks rent).

I had a reactive agent up till November last year, now I have a proactive. This is my second default in a year but this PM has really gotten on top of it, thus minimising the financial outlay on my end.

12. gojogo

gojogo New Member

Is there anyone you can recommend please

Last edited: 10th Apr, 2016
  13. gojogo

gojogo New Member

14. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

7 months in with Susan Gray from Collie & Tierney Mildura. I just got off the phone with her and decided I just had to contribute to this thread with an update.

She has been wonderful and is always in communication with you irregardless of the time of day. She has texted me updates straight after opens. She has carried out 2 routine inspections on a quarterly basis. She has ensured the house is in tip top condition.

Now we had a tough situation where a tenant stopped paying rent after being in there for 3 months. Susan got right on top of it, applied to VCAT as soon as she found out even though she was being harassed by said tenant with threatening calls/messages at all hours of the night.

That tenant has since left and we have now had a new tenant in coming just under 2 months. It seems to be smooth rolling and this tenant is paying ahead of time. The new tenant is employed in a frontline government role so fingers crossed she doesn't think of defaulting...

In conclusion, I've got nothing but praise for Susan Gray.