Microstrategy

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by DanW, 8th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

I'm curious if anyone here has purchased or is intending to purchase microstrategy shares?

With the fast movement of the bitcoin price, I don't know if the company has been overvalued or undervalued. It's certainly had a massive price hike but no more than crypto has.

All the usual sources of share investment research are way out of date when it comes to valuation metrics for this company.

Overall its a very speculative stock, with the bold moves the board has made taking on debt for bitcoin.

Interested to hear other's opinions if their bitcoin exposure has been overfactored into the current share price (or the opposite)..

2. Michael.Knight

Michael.Knight Well-Known Member

I'd say yes it has. Microstrategy stock is acting like a bitcoin etf. Morgan Stanley recently bought 10% of their stake in them.

Morgan Stanley Massively Increases Bitcoin Exposure Through Microstrategy | Markets and Prices Bitcoin News

Here is a list of all the publicly traded companies holding bitcoin. Microstrategy and Grayscale are the big whales for bitcoin.

Bitcoin Treasuries in Publicly Traded and Private Companies - List of large holders

Also interesting to note is that Australia's own Digitalx blockchain company bought 215 bitcoin in 2019. A purchase of $800k.

As of today, this amount of bitcoin is worth $8 million!

chylld and DanW like this.
  3. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Thanks yeah that's what I thought, and as an IT company it's overvalued based on revenues.
    Also I have a gut feel that bitcoin is not just a hedge against currency debasement as he states, but is also a business pivot into something new due to COVID. If his other product sales are declining they always need a new direction.

I've seen that treasuries list before, and if Michael Saylor keeps spreading information the number of corporate holdings is only going to grow as the US keeps printing money like crazy.

In general the American shares are scarily high priced, though I know it's from so much cash floating around and temporary revenue declines.. but I just can't see a quick recovery over there while they have no handle on the Covid situation (not to mention political unrest and all the other problems they're developing).

I think I'll keep equities targeted towards Australia, rest of world and emerging markets... although Bitcoin is overshadowing all of them in gains :) Even when it dips/crashes 30% it's only dropping to last weeks price. So much fun, so little sleep.

Michael.Knight likes this.