Michael Yardney's Metropole Property Services

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KateAdam, 13th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KateAdam

KateAdam Member

I attended a one-day seminar in Brisbane on Saturday with Michael Yardney and his staff from Metropole. I will be purchasing my first investment property after June 30th. I live in Byron Bay NSW, so the property would either be in this area or Brisbane (due to proximity and good financial returns). I'm also looking into the pros and cons of going into a self managed super fund. So I'm needing really good financial advice and planning. I found the seminar quite informative and liked the sound of the services that Michael offers via his company Metropole Property Strategists. I would like to hear from anyone who has used Metropole services and/or done Michael's Mentorship programme. Would you recommend them or not?

2. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

There are plenty of dodgy spruikers out there, and while I personally haven't used his services, my understanding is that he has been around for some time and is not one of the dodgy ones.

That being said, I would argue that his fees are not worth it and that you could learn just as much, if not more, from this forum.

I'd also avoid receiving all of my advice form one source.

I would invest a few months perusing this site and asking questions here first.

3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I went to a Metropoole seminar in Jan or Feb 2015 before I bought my first investment property. Went along as a learning exercise and it was worthwhile for that. The general knowledge gained was useful.

I got more actively involved in somersoft/Property Chat and this ultimately allowed me to learn and determine my own strategy. As you are based in the north, you should be able to easily manage the time to do trips over the border for research. During this time learn all you can here but consider going to one of the Brisbane meetups so you can meet and talk with other investors. The knowledge gained will be invaluable.

Forget about a financial planner for now. Learn the bare bones of long term investing yourself. There is plenty of discussion in the Other Asset Classes forum. Pay close attention to the most active threads in that forum ;) ( the ones with the most posts/views). Give yourself 6 months and then decide whether you need to see a financial planner.

4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

@KateAdam, I have been to quite a few of Michael's seminars over the years.

Probably the thing that resonated with me the most was his saying:

If you are the smartest person on your team, your team is in trouble.
    I applied this in business, in my private life and in property investing (where I hired a good accountant, a good lawyer, a good financial planner, a good mortgage broker, a good ...).

Having said that, I have never used Metropole's services.

luckyone and Xenia like this.
  5. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

There's a similar thread to this over on Somersoft. Michael Yardney's Mindset Mentorship Program

This thread discusses his investing philosophy Michael Yardney's says don't buy in the western suburbs (he was right in that that some western suburbs dropped from 2010 to 2013 but they have since bounced back to higher than before)

It could be worth flicking through his book to get a feel for his investing philosophy. Even going with someone generally respected may not necessarily work out if their approach is incompatible with your finances or risk profile.

Especially if a fairly personal relationship is involved (eg a mentorship) it could also be wise searching a person's background including their past profession and activities prior to getting into real estate to see if it sits well with you. This goes for anyone not just the individual mentioned here.

Last edited: 14th Mar, 2017
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I can only go by what I have read, his blogs. I think the research data he provides is excellent.

I believe he advocates blue chip property and not sure whether he still provides project management services. At one stage he was also advocating LOE, but once banks tightened policies this got thrown out the window.

MTR:)

7. KateAdam

KateAdam Member

Thanks for that advice. I've received an inheritance and want it to start earning a better rate than the banks can offer asap, but I also want to make sure I invest well. I've been advised to buy an investment property in a self managed super fund....and I'm researching pros and cons of doing so. If I'm to do this under the current laws, then I ned to make the decision by June.

8. KateAdam

KateAdam Member

Thanks. How do I find out where and when the Brisbane meet ups are? Are there any on the Gold Coast do you know?

9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

MY has been around for a long time, he knows his stuff and you can learn a lot from him.

He has mentored my unofficially as a friend on getting my real estate agency started years back. Very wise individual.

10. KateAdam

KateAdam Member

Thanks, that's all good advice and I'll follow that up.

11. KateAdam

KateAdam Member

Thanks.

Xenia likes this.
  12. kierank

Yep, there are Brisbane and Gold Coast meet-ups.

The last GC one was last Thursday.

I haven't heard when the next Brisbane one is on.

13. KateAdam

KateAdam Member

Do you know when the next GC meeting is, and where?

14. kierank

@Player, any idea?

15. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Keep an eye on the "Network & Meetups" forum on this website. There's meeting organised all over the place on a monthly basis.

kierank likes this.
  16. Player

Player Well-Known Member

We had one last Friday night.

@KateAdam keep an eye out in the networking and meetups section. We will probably have the next one in May sometime. I usually post it with a couple of weeks notice. It would be nice to have a new person come along.

17. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Not sure but meetups are posted in this forum Networking & Meetups