Message to friends

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by See Change, 29th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

No lockdown - great, we can all go shopping, eating out, having parties, travelling except ... hang on ... shop/cafe/caterers can’t get staff, they’re sick/coughing/dead. No customers - they’re sick/coughing/dead.

But at least we’re “learning to live with Covid”. Oh and by then, our vaccines probably won’t work because Covid has morphed. Good plan!

Bunbury, kierank, gman65 and 4 others like this.
  2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer. If AZ is offered to me down the road, and medical advice is to take it, I definitely will.

See Change likes this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This, as well as those who didn't want to get the vaccine, not because they're anti-vaxers, but because they couldn't get their choice of vaccine, now being faced with the fact that they can no longer work in their field unless they bite the bullet and do it now.

Joynz likes this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Which medical condititon is that?

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Covid ;)

skater likes this.
  6. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

I am predicting the future - looking into my crystal ball.
    Covid will continue to evolve and kill the weak, old and very young.
    Need a yearly vaccination to keep it at bay.
    New normal is wear mask whenever possible.

Good luck everyone, because your chance luck will be roll. :D

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The choice to be vaccinated or not is not only about our health. It is a decision which potentially affects other people too. Unvaccinated people can spread it, far more easily than vaccinated people - and this is happening a lot. Locally, an aged care worker who chose not to be vaccinated has spread it around town, and was indirectly the cause of my wife and I having to isolate while we waited for test results. This worker worked with a colleague of my wife.

When enough people remain unvaccinated, at least in eastern Australia, knockdowns will continue longer.

Lizzie likes this.
  8. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

And today , second teleheath consult with a patient . An unvaccinated care worker has passed COVID onto his 85 year old year old mother in law who I've know for over 30 years ( she used to live in Mt Druitt ) and the patients wife .

he rang to delay his second vaccine which is due two days before he comes out of isolation .

Cliff

Last edited: 30th Aug, 2021
    geoffw likes this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

This is exactly why care workers must be vaccinated! Hope the patients wife and mother in law pull through 100%. Hope your patient stays Covid free too.

Propin, Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  10. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

This is a point that so many people fail to grasp. Vaccinations are not about you. They are not about any individual. They are about the entire affected community - which in the case of this pandemic, is everyone in the world.

Much like hand washing, mask wearing, social distancing, isolation, etc, it is all a statistics game. Each action that a population takes, will impact on the spread of the virus and the impact it has on the ability of the hospital system to cope.

The anti-vaxxers, vaccine-hesitant, freedom-of-choicers, etc that I have observed all seem to be most focused on themselves, with little regard for responsibility to their community.

Now, to address some things Guest had mentioned earlier about SME suffering, I completely agree. I am in a very privileged position where my paid employment has been able to continue this time round. During the first NSW iso, I had actually just stopped work, and looking for new work was pretty much impossible, but again I was in the privileged position of being able to cope with the financial loss without much drama. I recognise my privilege in these instances, and acknowledge that many are suffering way more than I am. I think SME should indeed get more support through this tough time, and that the rest of the community that isn't suffering as much should probably be sharing a bit of that financial pain. Bring on a recovery levy.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Propin, geoffw and Lizzie like this.
  11. See Change

Reality is that Delta has changed this thinking to a degree . While the vaccines cut down the transmission of Delta , they don't appear to do it to the degree where it will create widespread herd immunity with the vaccination rates that the best countries are achieving at this stage .Yes they are an important factor but they alone won't protect us at the anticipated vaccination rates , BUT the vaccinations will make it very unlikely the recipient will die or end up in ICU .

There will still be enough transmission for Delta to get to those who aren't vaccinated .

No Jab , their risk

Cliff

Joynz, Bunbury and Lizzie like this.
  12. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

yes, I did initially type herd immunity, but wasn't sure if the scientific take was that herd immunity per se was not going to happen with this one... But I did say it was about the hospital system being able to cope...

Do we "bother" trying for herd immunity for the annual flu season? I guess not...

13. See Change

They're never aiming for herd immunity with flu vax , it's to protect the individuals

? 20 % coverage and around 50 % effective .

MMR is around 98 % effective and we do have good herd immunity for those , so I've heard ....

Cliff

SatayKing likes this.
  14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I hope any negative reactions to your FB post @See Change are few and far between although I imagine some would feel offended. Not that that should be a concern.

See Change likes this.
  15. See Change

Bottom line is that if someone is offended , then I don't want them around in my life .

I mentioned that I'd deleted a link someone posted which I felt was irrelevant . I mentioned that to them via messenger and they replied that I was

" perpetuating a fallacy that is directly responsible for the current predicament "

they subsequently suggested that the vaccination " isn't truly vaccination '

I tried to engage them and suggested they might have misread my post .

subsequently I was told they were

" very concerned though , about the rhetoric coming from the NSW and Fed Gov . They are spreading lies and sadly people are latching on like sheep "

having had too many conversations with people like that I've blocked them . Outside chats in the somersoft chat room I've never met them so no loss . Not interested in engaging with people who are deluded in thinking the vaccine isn't a vaccine

Cliff

wylie, Lizzie, Joynz and 4 others like this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The stupidity out there by many is mind boggling.

See Change likes this.
  17. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

They're frightened is why.

See Change likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm sure some are. Others are just dumb imo.

19. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Try G & B Lawyers facebook... omg

See Change likes this.
  20. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Yep. I live in Covid central and the anti vax anti mask are the ones having friends over and picnics in the park. The cafe in the local shops is owned by this type and the husband and wife both managed to get mask exemptions. The fact that she is behind the register and he is making the coffees shows what selfish a-holes they are and how easily they could pass covid around our suburb.

Propin and geoffw like this.