Message to friends

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by See Change, 29th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Just posted this to Facebook ( we’ve had five people we know classified as contacts in the last day , three close , two status unknown at this stage )

Just letting you know …. If you’re not vaccinated , we don’t want to see you any time soon.

Both Vicki and myself work with many elderly people who have significant health issues . I think all our friends know what we do , but just in case you don’t , I’m a GP and Vicki is a Physio who works in rehab.

The majority of our patients are vaccinated but while the vaccination offers them significant protection , the elderly are still at risk of getting significantly unwell or dying from Covid even if vaccinated .

While the vaccinations offer is very good protection to us , it’s not as good at stopping us transmitting Covid . Everywhere around the world Delta has made this a pandemic of the unvaccinated .

So as Australia opens up , if you’re unvaccinated , you’ll have an increased chance of catching Covid and passing it on to us if we meet you .

Outside the risk this poses to us and our family , it poses a greater risk to our patients.

Morally , this is not a risk we’re prepared to accept .

I know we have friends and relatives who are anti vaccinations . If you want to talk privately about your concerns about the vaccinations , I’m happy to do that .

craigc, inertia, standtall and 17 others like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Nothing personal but...... :p

(Agreed)

Hetty, skater, KateSydney and 2 others like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be curious to know what the response to your FB post is.

My sister-in-law and her husband who went for the Pfizer jab, (pre-booked) were turned away on the day of the booking. I think they could have chosen AZ, but they refused it. They are very careful about masking and distancing, but have said just recently they've run into friends as they are out walking (masked of course) and have noticed their friends are keeping a very good distance from them.

Their words were something like "they seemed to take a step backwards" once they know we are not yet vaccinated.

I hope this peer pressure does work and people who are STILL sitting on the fence actually make a decision and get vaccinated.

Joynz, See Change and gman65 like this.
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Will you be drawing the line at vaccinated vs unvaccinated or will you be considering other risk factors, such as avoiding friends and family who catch public transport or who are performing in person service roles?

MTR likes this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Have they re-tried for AZ?

I suspect they're saving the Pfizer for those under 40, due to the potential risks (which I know are rare but now that they have been acknowledged by government ... )

Finally managed to score the first available for Junior - 1st December - 3 months away! Hopefully will be able to bring it forward at some stage

6. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

I don't get this part. None of the vaccines stops transmission, right?

Codie likes this.
  7. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I know an antivaxer who lives in the next suburb. When Covid first started she didn’t take it seriously at all. Her idea of iscolating after returning from overseas was going shopping and to the chemist to get essentials but keeping her hand over her mouth when she talked and paying by card. I’m so glad I didn’t bump into her while she was at risk. She works in a pharmaceutical supply field.

See Change likes this.
  8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Common sense risk management I would have thought
    ta
    r

See Change and Propin like this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

It minimises it (i.e. you become less likely to transmit because if you catch Covid, you’ll be able to fight it off much quicker than if you weren’t vaccinated) but there is still a chance you can still transmit it. It’s likely you’ll be a lot less infectious than if you didn’t get vaccinated at all.

KateSydney, qak, paulF and 1 other person like this.
  10. See Change

supportive

I did have one person ( from here ) post a link to a video . I didn’t want the post to go “ off tangent “ and deleted it . I messaged them saying I had and my reason for doing so . They suggested I was part of the problem but when I asked them why , their answer suggested they actually hadn’t read my message . Suggested they re read it and they haven’t responded . Still wondering what there concern is …

cliff

Hetty, skater and Lizzie like this.
  11. See Change

they cut down the risk of transmission , but don’t eliminate it . They’re not as good at doing that as they are at stopping people getting sick and dying.

There is an Australian vaccine in development and in the trials of that , the virus isn’t detected in the nose of ferrets which suggest it might be better at cutting down transmission.

there’s around 200 vaccines in development . The chances that the initial 4-5 vaccines turning out to be the best are small .

cliff

ChrisP73, spludgey, Hetty and 5 others like this.
  12. See Change

just vaccinations .

cliff

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Do you anticipate in the future we'll have a better vaccine which all folks will be encouraged to have regardless if they've already been vaccinated?

14. See Change

highly likely

they’re already recommending boosters for Pfizer in the US

they’ll be conducting studies to see if there’s a benifit with mix & match strategies

cliff

KateSydney and Sackie like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

They aren't interested in AZ... waiting for Pfizer.

I just don't understand it.

Lizzie likes this.
  16. See Change

Risk of dying with AZ . 1 in a million

dying in a car accident 1 in 27,000 . 37 times more likely

plane crash 5 times more likely

Oral contraceptive pill 1 in 30,000

Giving Birth 1 in 15000 . Your 67 times more likely to die giving birth than die form AZ

Covid 1 in 50 in Australia have died . So your 20,000 times more likely to die from Covid than the vaccine .

the best vaccine is the one you can get

cliff

17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

However, my chances of dying from the contraceptive pill or from childbirth are rather much smaller than that.

And, at the rate we're going, a very small chance of dying in a plane crash.

Observer, skater, wylie and 2 others like this.
  18. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

This is the post that everyone needs to see!

Bunbury likes this.
  19. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

An anti Covid vaccination friend is posting on FB All the death stats on diabetes, etc and saying the death stats are much higher then covid deaths so we should be putting more money into that. It just shocks me! She's middle aged, studying in the nursing field.

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm vaccinated and, no, I don't know what's in it—neither this vaccine nor the ones I had as a child; or what’s in that Big Mac, that pumpkin-spice flavouring, or in hot dogs or chicken tenders; or what’s in other drugs used for other treatments … whether the treatment is for cancer, AIDS, or polyarthritis.

I don't actually know what's in Ibuprofen, Tylenol, or other pain meds that almost everyone takes, I just know it cures my headaches and my pain. Or what’s in cough medicine, that allergy nasal spray, insulin, or high blood pressure meds.

I also don't know what's in the ink for tattoos, vaping cigs, or every ingredient in my soap or shampoo or deodorants. I don’t know what’s in lipstick.

I don’t know the long term effect of mobile phone use or whether or not that restaurant I just ate at REALLY used clean utensils, fresh foods, and whether the employees there washed their hands.

In short ...
    There's a lot of things I don't know and never will.

I just know one thing: life is short, very short. And I still want to do something with my life other than just going to work every day or staying locked in my home. I still want to travel and hug people without fear and experience more of my life "before.”

As a child and as an adult I've been vaccinated for mumps, measles, rubella, chicken pox, and quite a few others (as an adult I’ve been vaccinated for tetanus and hepatitis, and each autumn I get a flu shot that is less effective at preventing flu than the Covid vaccine is at preventing Covid-19). My parents and I trusted the science and never had to suffer through or transmit any of the childhood diseases that used to kill children and adults.

I'm vaccinated, not to please the government but:
    * to not die from Covid-19.
    * to NOT clutter up a much needed hospital bed and resources if I get sick.
    * to hug my loved ones without fearing I may transmit a deadly virus to them.
    * to not have to do PCR or antigenic tests so I can go to a concert, go to a restaurant, go on holidays, and many more things to come.
    * to live my life.
    * to have all kids go back to school and play sports—safely.
    * to make these days of Covid-19 become just an old memory.
    * to protect us—all of us.

Text copied, you can copy it too.
    Please get vaccinated people!

Last edited: 30th Aug, 2021
    craigc, larrylarry, TAJ and 6 others like this.