Meriton units in Parramatta: buy or not?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Chirag90, 21st Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chirag90

Chirag90 New Member

Hi all,

I’m looking to purchase a Meriton apartment 2 BDR in Parramatta CBD for $760k. Given my current financial position, I’m able to afford it and also getting a stamp duty exemption as a FHB.

Given the supply of apartments in Parramatta, the vacancy rate in my opinion is not bad. Though I feel as a CBD the rental yield is not impressive.

Would appreciate some feedback on

- Meriton apartments
    - Area and capital growth associated
    - any other factors to be considered

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

This is an easy one. NO.

With your budget, buy a house in say, Seven Hills or Lalor Park. Thank me later.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Parramatta, North Parramatta & Rose Hill will have a endless supply of new towers over the next few decades. Supply will exceed demand for a long time. The supply of new build rentals cant be helping rental rates.

Citycat88 likes this.
  4. Chirag90

Chirag90 New Member

Thanks for your advice. Is it the price, Meriton or area?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Pick any two of the three and you'd still find enough convincing discussions to avoid.

6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What will drive future growth in a highrise at parra?

what other alternatives would you consider, op? How about a 2 bed unit near a station, brick 6 pack?

7. Paul@PAS

spludgey likes this.
  8. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

I’ve bought off the plan in Surry hills and Cremorne and instantly made 20-80% at settlement

rentng has been cash positive
    Sold one at a big profit

covid means the price was dented on the other but not for long it seems

but parramatta is different and what’s going to differentiate your unit from others in 5 years to either tenants or buyers when it’s looking a bit tired and there’s better places on the market ?

same reason you have to be very careful to buy a unit in DY or surfers paradise or anywhere there’s no saturation and endless new developments

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  9. Chirag90

Chirag90 New Member

I’m looking at the development happening in Parramatta CBD, metro, train, university, stadium, etc. These could drive prices up, not sure by how much. Basing my decision that Meriton is a trusted name in the market and might appreciate more than others. Could be wrong, hence on this platform seeking advise.

10. Paul@PAS

Meriton always keep some and rent them. Use them as serviced apartmnets and more. They do tend to limit over-supply through this but it just defers the inevitable. eg the old DJs site has a huge number of rentals and serviced meriton suites apartments so they will be selling these off for years and years:. And then there is the North Parra precinct with 2800 new apartmnets and (maybe) some commercial space. - Homebush Mark 2 ?

Have to agree with :

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

At least 2/3 and not necessarily in the order you expressed ;)

12. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Meriton -no
    Parramatta no

Cliff

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  13. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

No. I have been told Meriton’s control the strata through apartments they keep. Which means high outlays in year 3-5 onward. Cause you need to keep everything top notch to subsidise the “ resort look and feel” of the complex.

But that are just rumours and whispers. Take it or leave it :D. No facts to prove it’s actually happening.

14. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Meriton is not bad.

Also they are still here so if needing to claim on Builders 7 year warranty at leas they will be here to answer the claims unlike most other operators.

Re Parrmatta i have no idea.

15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

+1. Land appreciates....

spludgey likes this.
  16. Kevbo

Kevbo Well-Known Member

A mate of mine bought an off the plan in Parra which settled 2-3 years ago. In the current vendor’s market the apartment value is still a bit under the initial purchase price (without taking into account stamp duty).

If you are willing to pay that much you might as well buy the off the plan duplex in Werrington (by Landlease) - it is very over priced but would still be better than the Meriton stuff in Parra, in my view.

17. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Not really a sellers market for high rise apartments.

18. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Clive Palmer's Yacht Well-Known Member

OP coming at this I think maybe from the perspective that the price of this product fits their budget, the Meriton brand/glossy brochure provides a feeling of comfort (and probably appeals at the personal level), and the overarching investment into Parra then justifies/ further de-risks the decision.

Am guessing, so happy to be corrected if I'm off the mark..

I reckon a better investment is established house and land in another capital city.

19. carbon

carbon Active Member

Meriton gets a lot hate but we owned one (different suburb) for 10 years and loved it. 2003/4 build and never had any defects or issues and was really well maintained

20. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia