Mentor Wanted

Discussion in 'Development' started by tierney90, 28th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tierney90

tierney90 Member

Hi All,

Two aspiring property developers, (25 and 26 yo) in Perth area are looking for a mentor to give advice, talk through deals with, gain experience and share in potential profits.
    To date, we have been going through properties in search of a feasible development but feel we are going around in circles.

Someone with experience in developments that would be interested in mentoring and discussing further, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks in advance for your time,

CamG likes this.
  2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I see that you are signed up for the meetup this week - that's great. You should be able to meet a range of people to bounce ideas off there.

I don't know if I'd be a useful 'mentor' per se, but I'm always up for property related chats so feel free to get in touch.

S.T, tierney90 and Arnel like this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Contact Westminster, shes a Perth developer and consultant/mentor

Westminster, Sackie and tierney90 like this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Thanks for the recommendation @DaveM

Yes I do mentoring as well as site finding/feasibility services for Perth development sites. Finding a really good development site does take a lot of wading through crap unprofitable sites. It can seem like there is nothing out there but the more you learn the more you can spot those hidden gems.

MBO, JenW and Skuttles like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I would also recommend Westminster for Perth market:)

Westminster likes this.
  6. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Come to the meet up and you can have a chat to us all about property and development as thats what its for.
    You might find some of it usefull :)

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yup lots of free advice available at the meet ups and on here. You'll get some local gems of knowledge on Thursday night.

8. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I'll break with the advise of others on here and say go down a different route.
    Become property investors first (if you aren't already) and learn about property in relative safety. Most of those skills will be transferable once you move into developments.
    Trying to run before you can walk could cause quite a few issues in my opinion.

MBO, Sackie, larrylarry and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ichigo

Ichigo Well-Known Member

Looking forward to meeting some of Perth's mentors/developers on Thursday night ;)

10. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

I'm not a quarter as experienced as anyone here but I agree aswell. You would rather make small mistakes than massive expensive ones when starting out. Maybe even a duplex or granny flat to start

Gingin likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It does seem like a fairly big jump.. if some one who doesnt really know much about property investment then jumps straight into a development.. but if they had a mentor who was also PM'ing the entire project and coaching them along the way, the project should still be successful, although the learning curve for the mentee would be massive i would think.

Last edited: 30th Jul, 2015
    MBO likes this.
  12. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

Good luck guys!

I'm 26 myself and was in the same situation. Having started on developments I can only say this.

Start very small, mentor or not your going to make mistakes, unfortunately that's how we learn! Might I add mistakes are costly in development!

MBO, tierney90 and MTR like this.
  13. skuzy

skuzy Well-Known Member

any mentors in Sydney available?

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If your talking about for property development, Bob Anderson has a great course imo.

15. tierney90

tierney90 Member

@Leo2413 have you done any of Bob Andersons bootcamps or mentoring? If so what makes him different and worth spending the money on?
    I ask this because I'm looking at doing one of his bootcamps in Melbourne in October

16. thatbum

Really? You're going to spend money on a bootcamp over some of the peeps here offering to help you get started?

MBO likes this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I have done his boot camp course in the past and I found it useful. I did not do his follow up mentorship as I felt the boot camp was enough for me. I don't know what makes him different from others but the information in the course was useful, logically set out and quite a thorough basic understanding of the whole process. I guess each person will get out of it as much benefit as the energy, focus and commitment they put into it. There definitely is a lot more learning after it, but imo its a great foundation for people seriously interested in property developing. I find its a never ending learning process.

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2015
    MBO likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree, If your in Perth and some of the developers on here from Perth have offered to help you , you should consider all the help you can get.

MBO likes this.
  19. tierney90

tierney90 Member

I got offered help but that comes with a price tag as well

20. thatbum

I can't remember if you made it to that meetup the other week. Anyway I was one of those offering to catch up and chat - no charge. The offer is still on the table.