Mens’ Watches

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Harry30, 1st Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm rocking a Oris, a nice Swiss entry level automatic winding watch with a tapered brushed steel band... shame I've already scratched it falling off my motorbike :oops:

2. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Hamilton Khaki King is what I am wearing today. Great entry level watch with some serious history. images (9).jpeg

3. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Good watch. You'll never need another.....until you do. I am a big fan of Rolex SA. Behind the marketing is truly excellent timepieces. Its easy to be an uninformed hater, but if you take an interest in watches you will soon enough learn that Rolex is the real deal. Very hard to come by stock in Oz these days with the weak AUD....

I have a Tudor Pelagos with the calibre MT5612 as daily and a Zenith Defy Classic (non skeleton) for business/business casual. Love them.

Ouga likes this.
  4. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Anyone digging the new Bell & Ross release BR05:

[​IMG]

Personally I am liking this a lot!

5. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I bought one of these off Kickstarter. Meant to be getting it in December. Inspired by the Apollo 11. The 'seconds hand' is meant to be multiple stars that move around the watch. I've been wanting a new watch for a long long time, can't wait to get it. Quite unique. Supposedly only 1969 watches to be made.

images (2).jpeg

6. lamecrocs

lamecrocs Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a watch with perpetual calendar (so I don't have to manually adjust the date), reliable movement, nice looking and below 1k.
    Could anyone please suggest some options available that suit my criteria?

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Not a $30 casio? :D Perpetual calendar, reliable, below 1k and according to some tastes, nice enough.....

The Y-man

8. lamecrocs

Good enough @y-man. However, I should also add to the criteria... I want analogue, not digital watch :)

9. The Y-man

Done :D:D:D:D

Casio AQ-S800W-1B2VEF Watch Collection AQ S800W 1B2VEF

I think I'm rich - I bought this for $30 5 years ago, it's doubled in price!!

The Y-man

lamecrocs likes this.
  10. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

simple and relatively inexpensive ~100AUD. probably would get something like Casio Black Classic Digital F91W in the future

Attached Files:

11. lamecrocs

12. The Y-man

13. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

If you want a top of the range G-Shock, you can look at the MTG-B1000 model, looks and feel nothing a regular G-Shock, but quite large.
    Always going to be accurate to the second thanks to the Bluetooth sync to your phone. Entirely analog too.
    Comes in at just $1000, should be pretty indestructible.

[​IMG]

14. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Bell and Ross has some distinctive design language but can’t deal with paying big money just for a case with Sellita movement

15. lamecrocs

Both of these suggestions have the perfect functionalities that I needed.
    Not a fan of the plastic material on Gravitymaster.

MTG-B1000 model is definitely better looking one, but the size is way too big with diameter > 51mm. Ideally for me, diameter should be < 45mm

16. The Y-man

17. lamecrocs

Agree with the premier, good looking watch and reputable brand. If I can get the look from the premier and also combine the functionalities from Casio MTG-B1000 or Gravitymaster, then I have the winner :)

If the price was ~300 for the premier, I might jump on it but with price is close to the max of my budget, I will keep researching. Thanks for sharing the recommendations :)

18. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Did not know that. Did a ref search and you’re absolutely right BUT it’s probably related primarily to software, medicines etc rather that trivial fashion objects.

OECD Task Force on Countering Illicit Trade (TF-CIT) - OECD

http://www.ipcommission.org/report/IP_Commission_Report_Update_2017.pdf ... US centric

Last edited: 8th Sep, 2019
    Harry30 likes this.
  19. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

If you like the look of the G-Shocks, you could try something like the G-Steel mid-size line: has pretty much the same functions as the MTG, but with a combination of analog and digital, but nicely done IMO.

G-Shock G-STEEL GST-W330AC, GST-W330D & GST-S330AC, GST-S330D: Mid-size Case with Stainless Steel Knurled Bezel – G-Central G-Shock Watch Fan Blog

They wear really well, try to try one on, they fit nicely even on smaller wrists. They are also partly metal
    Which helps greatly with the looks if you are not a fan of the resin models.

You should be able to find them at shopping centres’ watches places, really worth trying it on. I tried the one with the blue band, really liked it.

[​IMG]

Priced well below your budget too at around $300.

That’s if you like g-shocks, there are other options with Japanese brands i’ll Try and post later on!

20. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

Yeah I hear you, no in house mouvement can make it hard to justify the prices. But, personally this does not bother me, I may even like it better. I have experienced in house movements from Breitling, Panerai, Omega and a couple other brands and I am yet to be convinced by any of them. I mean sure it’s cool that it’s made in house, but in terms of performance they have fallen short of off the shelf ETAs (or Miyotas), and when it comes to ease and cost of servicing, well in house leaves little options and these are costly.

I do like the hand wind on the Omega speedmaster with Saphire sandwich, that’s cool, but other than that I am not sold on the in-house concept as whole. Seems to me it’s more of a justification for the prices than anything else. They don’t deliver a better performance apart from power reserve and some minor details in certain movements like jump hour instead of quick set date - big deal. It’s easier to justify a price tag if one can claim in house movement than an off the shelf or even modified ETA/Sellita movement.

If we dig deeper into in house though, things can get a little murky, here is a good vid on the subject:

That being said, my favourite movement is an in house one, but not something one would expect.
    It’s the movement on my Bulova Accutron Astronaut: the first successful commercial electronic movement. It is a precursor to the modern quartz and uses a tuning fork. The index wheel, 2.4mm in diameter has 320 teeth!! Result: perfectly smooth seconds hand, accuracy of about +1 sec per day, and that’s a 55 years old watch!

Index wheel:

[​IMG]

Here is my model (not my photos, just googled a couple):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8th Sep, 2019
    Archaon and The Y-man like this.