Mens’ Watches

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Harry30, 1st Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Depending on which model a lot of Enicar watches use movements from ETA/Valjoux so the rotor would have been fairly cheap and easily accessible. Especially if found on ebay.

Where is the watch? It might be worth fixing.

2. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Not certain now ..it was many watches ago

3. eletronic_exp0430

If you find it and know the type of movement let me know. I have a few spare rotors for ETA/Valjoux in my spares box that I can give you for free. I tinker with watch movements although most of the time I am a complete fail doing it so I have heaps of spare movement parts laying around.

I might have a suitable one depending on what movement it has in it.

The Y-man likes this.
  4. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i dont wanna sound rude..

although iwc make their own movement most IWC movements are supplied by eta or modified eta movement.
    same with all LVMH owned watches.

Zenith and tag is trying to move on and becoming more intouch with their heritage.
    especialy heuer.

give mr biver some time. he knows the problem they face in the "purist" world, and he is trying to change that. look at all the new watches they are releasing its now always inline with their "mission statements"

RM is same with Hublot. but different price point. its not for me (but i do like the big bang rainbow) they have their followers and will be here to stay.

and if you are a real purist, there is only a hand full of watch you will buy in the market anyway and most are either super close tribute to their vintage watch or the vintage itself.

buy what you like but make sure you read before you buy. (the more you read the more selective you are the more "purist" you become the more money you spent so it can be a bad idea xD)

eletronic_exp0430 likes this.
  5. eletronic_exp0430

The funny thing is the more other brands you get into even the more niche ones like Uwerk, MB&F, Greubel Forsey, Moser & Cie - there is ALWAYS one watch brand every single person eventually comes back to.

ROLEX - it may not be regarded as the pinnacle of watchmaking but it holds the crown in my eyes. You can ask any watch nut Rolex always comes back into a collectors rotation.

I personally know guys that have $500k watches but they always always come back to a Rolex at the end of the day.

6. KinG3o0o

for me rolex has its place, reliable, good entry point. i love rolex, its good.. really good. did i mention they also have a rainbow daytona ala hublot. hahaha love it.

dont like the false scarcity, tho.. daytona and pepsi are a pain if your not close to a dealer network. or pay over the top. but their watches are good value vs other brands in similar range,.

Ap only watch appeal to me is 15202

patek i go for their chrono

these niche brand while they are haute horology, they are few and far between.. hard to find, and lose value because tbh brand like uwerk and mbf are really innovative/creative but really its just #becauseican,

is brands like fp journe or moser still niche? haha

7. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

With buying watches online, are there some countries you avoid purchasing from because it's riddled with A grade counterfeits?

I know that quite a few people here have told me that buying a Tag Heuer watch is a mistake, but at the end of the day, I always wanted one and think a Tag Heuer Formula 1 will be a nice entry model for me. It's priced at $1,550 in the Tag Heuer store (Sydney) and could haggle it down to $1,400 to $1,450 but online in Chrono24 it's priced at $1,045 (+$99 for postage). TAG Heuer Formula 1 Quartz for AU$ 1,045 for sale from a Seller on Chrono24

8. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Good question. I like to buy watches on eBay but are very cautious about who I buy from, to avoid inadvertently buying a fake. Interested in hearing from others on how they buy on-line.

9. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think maybe it could be worthwhile to pay abit more for the peace of mind. I read an article some time ago about how some of the Hollywood stars have splashed big money on expensive Rolex watches, but turned out to be counterfeits.

10. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Counterfeits are an insideous problem, especially with Rolex. Be very cautious buying online from a non recognised seller. Stealing intellectual property is a bigger industry than illegal drugs.

Last edited: 5th Oct, 2018
  11. KinG3o0o

jomashop is pretty legit, hodinkee is good too but pay a premium.
    chorno24 many people buy from there and seems okay but i personally never bought from them.

with online buying, like everything else.. you buy the buyer not the watch if it make sense.

12. eletronic_exp0430

Buying online can be dangerous. You need to be very very careful but buy the seller not the watch. There are many sellers that are reputable and I have bought watches from online sellers in excess of $50k value and it arrived at my door within 3-4 days express DHL. They are 100% legit but I must admit the very first time I did a big purchase I was nervous as hell.

I think Chrono24 is ok. It has buyers protection. Better to go on a Tag watch enthusiast forum and see the dealers on there. They will have a list of "trusted" sellers and choose from there.

I would advise not buying from ebay unless you can physically go and inspect the watch and pay cash on pickup. Thats just me.

btw: you'll find cheaper prices than Chrono24 prices. Just need to search around a bit more.

Harry30 likes this.
  13. eletronic_exp0430

New present to myself coming :) - hopefully wait time is not too long I'm impatient.

AP Royal Oak Chrono Full Rose Gold.

Decided to use all my tax return money on this baby instead of investing it in the US Market. Cant be all business right. Woohoo!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10th Oct, 2018
  14. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, jomashop is fully legit and safe.
    Chron24 - never bought from there but I know they have a fairly good reputation.
    EBay - no..maybe low end stuff from eBay, but not high end.
    Retail stores in the capital cities - never, the mark-up is incredible . They just need to sell a handful per month and everyone is adequately fed for the month.

15. Gousey

Gousey Active Member

That is one sexy watch! Congrats!
    Would love to see how it looks on your wrist once you get it.

16. eletronic_exp0430

Its gonna wear slightly large because I tried on my friends AP 15400 which is similar to this except non chrono. They wear slightly large. I was looking at a 15450 but I like this one better.

My watch dealer said I should get it within 3-6 months. We'll see. Thats better than some waiting lists though. If it takes too long and my patience runs out I'm gonna buy it from a gray market dealer - I will have to pay slight premium I think but lets see.

Gousey likes this.
  17. eletronic_exp0430

Some more eye candy. :)

[​IMG]

Lone_Wolf likes this.
  18. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

Here's a photo of my BAE.
    This is something that I would pass onto my kids

Attached Files:

eletronic_exp0430 likes this.
  19. eletronic_exp0430

Nice man. Did you buy that at retail price? These things are going for $22k USD now. Thats crazy price imho for a Stainless Steel Rolex.

I'm thinking of buying myself one of these now

[​IMG]

20. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

Nope, I couldn't be bothered be on a wailing list for 10 yrs to pay RRP

Baselworld 2019 this week, exciting stuff, I am predicting a new sub or a new milgauss