Mens’ Watches

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Harry30, 1st Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I'd be quite happy to discuss Harrison's clocks with you - I'm quite enthusiastic about those. Everything since is just marginal improvement :)

Cheers,
    Inertia.

2. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Nothing like a Patek but Tag will suffice.
    My wife gets all the nice watches in our family

3. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Yep Patek 5208P Grand Complications is my ultimate grail timepiece. That would be my end game and I'd quite happily sell each and every single one of my watches for this Patek.

Its close to 1 million and you cant even buy one if you wanted to. Patek chooses the buyers of these watches and unfortunately I'm a low baller to be even considered.

Look at the complications, look at the movement and the finishes on this thing of beauty. Everything in platinum and gold, every single piece hand finished and attention to detail is second to none. Damn I can only dream.

[​IMG]

4. There

There Well-Known Member

I am truely inspired by the mechanics and the designs of the mechanical timepieces. But, just can’t justify spending all that money . Hence, I picked up a nice SKX to wear with NATO straps. Under $500 all up, an ISO certified diver and a beauty! Gives me so much pleasure every time I wear it!

When dressing up, I switch to Seiko snkl23. Planning replace this with a SARB 033 soon. I love the Seikos!

I guess you don’t have to break the bank to enjoy the timepieces

5. Illusivedreams

L_IW502121_2011.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Mine is the IWC Portuguese perpetual. Attached blue dial. Somewhat similar to yours.
    Although at $40,000 more achievable for me

Harry30 and eletronic_exp0430 like this.
  6. eletronic_exp0430

The IWC Portuguese perpetual calendar is a very very nice watch. I was thinking of buying one as well but in Rose Gold and Gray Sunburst dial.

I'm sure you can reward yourself with some hard work and smart investments. I can see some on Chrono24 for around $30k which is quite attainable. Some more shopping around and you'll find one probably around $25k.

IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar for AU$ 31,801 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

Cant be all business and no play right? Its attainable and IWC don't control who they sell to not like Patek where you have to meet certain criteria to even be considered.

What I do is every milestone I reach I reward myself whether it be a big bonus from work, a good year in real estate investments or some kind of financial success is usually rewarded with a new watch for myself. :)

Harry30 likes this.
  7. TreeChange@50

TreeChange@50 Well-Known Member

I used to really love my watches. I went to Bali and Thailand in my late 20s and it ruined everything. I bought half a dozen fakes and tried them out back here. People still admired them, the Mont Blanc even fooled the jeweller it was that good. I gave up wearing them regularly after a while, and after my first smart phone could count the number of times I have worn a watch on one hand. That said, it is a worthy hobby for those who are passionate.

8. Illusivedreams

I feel it adds class just like a tie and shoes.

A pair of Nike s does the job but some nice loafers are different.

Casio = Nike track suit
    IWC= Tom Ford suit.

9. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I really liked my SKX + NATO but it died at < 3 years.... It only cost $350 but kind of turned me off.... For a day to day super usable watch, I'd buy a G-Shock or a Garmin fenix. (have a few other automatics as well but not into the watch w$%@)

10. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Thinking of purchasing a basic Tag watch from the payout from my long service leave and annual leave. @eletronic_exp0430

Citycat88 and eletronic_exp0430 like this.
  11. eletronic_exp0430

What is your maximum budget? Tag watches are not bad they are mainstream but I think if your budget allows you can buy a watch from a more reputable horology house for similar money.

Most watch guys start of with a Tag. One of the very first watches I bought myself was a Tag Grand Carrera Calibre 17 like below. I used to love that watch but took a massive loss on it - that's when I didn't know much about watches back then.

[​IMG]

Other brands that I would consider are below. You can have many of them for < $5k and they will last you a lifetime and they would be considered more "Horology" in that sense and a step up in the watch game than a Tag. (There are exceptions of course like the vintage Heuer etc...but vintage is a different ball game altogether).

* IWC
    * Omega
    * Tudor
    * Grand Seiko
    * Nomos
    * Bell & Ross
    * Zenith

Honestly If my budget was a few Grand (3 or 4) I would seriously look at IWC/Omega or Tudor. They are beautiful pieces and very budget friendly especially if bought second hand but in mint condition. You still get the warranty etc...so no issues with that.

IWC 3777 for about $4800 on Chrono24. I bought one for my little brother for around $3800 (pre owned but mint condition almost new) around 12 months ago. One of the best bang for buck watches imho.

IWC Pilot Chronograph Steel 43mm Black Dial IW377701 for AU$ 4,811 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

Or a Tudor Black Bay - $3100. You should be able to get a new one for <$4000. Its essentially a Rolex and if you need a service you take all Tudors to the Rolex Service Centre.

Tudor Black Bay Heritage Red 41mm Auto for AU$ 3,160 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

Goodluck in your hunt. If you have a specific model in mind I can refer you to some sources you can shop around for best price.

jins13 likes this.
  12. BobbinJohn

BobbinJohn Member

Wouldn't even bother with a Tag for me or any brand using ETA movements. May as well buy a swatch. My list from beginner to end game watches as follows;

Grand Seiko
    Tudor
    IWC
    Rolex
    Audemars Piquet
    Patek Phillipe
    Richard Mille

jins13 likes this.
  13. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I lost my Panerai GMT moving house :(

Now I wear a Fitbit

14. eletronic_exp0430

Damn. Which Panerai was it? PAM320? I used to own a Panerai 088 as well. Loved that thing regret selling it few years ago.

15. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I actually cant remember, I bought it in HK in 2003

AndyPandy likes this.
  16. eletronic_exp0430

RM imho is a fad watch. It wont last the test of time. They are expensive and I do like how they are innovative with new materials like forged carbon, NTPT, Ceramics etc....but $150k for a plastic watch? Plus the styling of 90% of them is horrid you cant even read the time.

You realise once you been around that classic designs are where its at. Rolex/AP/Patek and Vacheron Constatin will last foever in both style and monetary terms.

17. BobbinJohn

BobbinJohn Member

I don't think they are a fad. The limited versions hold their value extremely well. TBH all high end watches are a marketing exercise regardless of its complications. It just so happens many public figures who "made it" end up with an RM on their wrist.

Even Pateks “You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation.” BS is marketing w**k to position themselves towards the classic, aficionados, "real" watch enthusiasts end. If you're talking about value for materials then not even a Rollie air king is good value. One of the most expensive AP's is the rubber tourbillon

Forgot to add A Lange to my list to the same calibre as Patek imo

18. eletronic_exp0430

There are some die hard RM fans that's for sure. To me and many of the people in the watch circles I frequent not many of us are fans. If you put a Patek Worldtimer/Tourby or a RM 011 in front of me I'd choose the Patek anyday of the week.

Unfortunately money doesn't buy class or style. :) - same as those rappers putting diamonds and icing out all their Pateks and Rolex's. It looks ugly as, they've spent a tonne of money doing it and on resale they've just lost more than any Plain Jane watch would sell for.

Good on Richard Mille for taking advantage of this though and using his contacts at AP to build his brand. He has made 100s of millions now in a very short period of time.

19. BobbinJohn

BobbinJohn Member

Agree with the ice...unless its iced from factory then its idiotic

Lets just agree Franck Muller is the real passing fad :)

20. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Interesting thread this
    I looked up one of my old watches "enicar" I remember the watchmaker saying ...not worth repairing as broken rotor ...
    Found a going one is worth a couple grand