Mens’ Watches

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Harry30, 1st Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

True - unfortunately with the advent of mobile phones, smart watches and disposable watches, people think "complications" are things they don't need in life :D

The Y-man

TSK and Blacky like this.
  2. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

It’s not that I don’t or can’t appreciate the workmanship of a fine time piece. It’s just that it doesn’t add anything to my life.

A $60 watch performs just as well as a $500 watch or as a $20,000 watch. With no discernible difference in feel or performance.

I would rather spend money on something which adds value to my life. But that is my personal preference and can understand other people’s desire to own and apreciate a time peice which if cared for can last well beyond our lifetimes.

Blacky

Beano, Phantom, Player and 2 others like this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Blacky.

I had to discard my watch when I went into fast food. There's too many times when your hands have to go I to dishwater. My phone was my timepiece.

I got a $20 Casio when I finished up there. When the resin band eventually broke, I bought a $20 Casio with a metal case and band. It's been going several years now.

I use my phone for alarms.

4. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

This hobby actually has nothing to do with practicality at all. Its to appreciate the fine art of watch making and to be amazed by how these tiny little mechanical pieces all work in harmony to achieve what they achieve (i.e) +-2 seconds accuracy, or a tourbillion or minute repeater complication or simply just the hand finished beauty of a piece from a brand like A. Lange & Söhne.

Its a Hobby just like any other hobby. Usually with hobbies practicality and price make no sense.

I can think of many worse hobbies to do and the best thing about these watches (well most) is that they keep value so they are quite liquid. (e.g) if you bought right and needed money you could flip a Rolex any day of the week and have cash money back sometimes with a profit.

Gousey likes this.
  5. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Here's my bad boy. The "bin laden / Obama" F-91W, with cheap eBay "nato" strap.
    I work in a GMP environment so I need to jot date and times down as I go.
    It does me good. It has a certain DILLIGAF appeal, too ;)

I'd love to own a Breitling Navitimer one day, though.

Attached Files:

inertia likes this.
  6. Gousey

Gousey Active Member

I was expecting more interest on this thread also, mechanical movements are simply beautiful. I'm an engineer by trade so the I've always been interested in how things work. Although they don't add value in my life financially, it does feel great to have a nice timepiece on my wrist.
    In my friend circle I notice those that can afford to spend on a nice watch would either have a cheapie or have something up to $15,000 price tag. Most of those with a nice watch have no appreciation for the watch movement.
    My wife still catches me out when I hand wind one of my watches I haven't worn for a while holding it up to my ear to listen to the gears turning.

7. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Here’s my favourite....

PNG image.png

8. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

This is mine, change from $100. Perfectly designed IMO

[​IMG]

9. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

My father had a passion for watches, Raymond Weil in specific.
    Unfortunately his collection got stolen a while back...
    I still recall his favourite watch, it was a Raymond Weil with Gold plated band, Bleu dial with a convex shaped Crystal and gold hands/marks... Was such a simple/elegant/beautiful watch.

Planning on surprising him with a nice watch when i visit next

10. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I have a Seiko kinetic of some description. Saves me the worry with changing a battery every 5 years or so.

Would like one that counts the month and years so I don't need to worry about updating the day every time there isn't 31 in the month. Then I'm set. If I happen to see one I like maybe I'll get it, not something I'll go shopping for.

No expert so I don't know the lingo.

Can't stand digital watches.

11. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Really? Its a property forum not Watchuseek. It's like talking about wine around here....most folks taste and budget runs to cheap utility. No dramas!

inertia likes this.
  12. eletronic_exp0430

I understand that and I am a member of many watch clubs and forums - however from my dealings with fellow collectors heaps of them are astute property investors or are involved in real estate quite heavily. That's how they can actually afford these time pieces in many cases including myself.

I guess real estate has been very good to many and was hoping for more collectors on this property forum. Gives us something else to discuss that's not related to property and a bit less serious in nature than purely about investment strategies and making money.

Harry30 likes this.
  13. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Have worn a Seiko for some years. No idea of the model but I think it cost me a couple of hundred. It does the job and I'm fine with it although like @Hodor it would require adjusting if the month doesn't have 31 days or accounts for leap years. I don't bother adjusting it as it's a watch not a calendar.

Hodor likes this.
  14. eletronic_exp0430

What your after is a annual or perpetual calendar. Many options for you 2 example below.

1) Rolex Skydweller is an annual calendar.
    2) IWC Perpetual calender as in the above picture

There are some offerings from Tissot and Citizen, Seiko at more affordable price points but are still lovely watches.

The Y-man and Hodor like this.
  15. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

be prepared to buy a watch winder.. plenty out there.
    haha without quick set.. some movement gonna be a pain to adjust.... i mean most lol..

16. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I have a $150 fossil watch. Besides changing battery it’s working fine. Okay it’s a cheap watch but at least if I lose it I won’t feel the pain, well slightly.

17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

The problem with kinetic (and all solar watches) is that eventually (about 10 years) the rechargeable battery dies (won't hold charge any more).

The Y-man

18. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mine.
    Like all mechanical watches it needs servicing which is not cheap.
    it seems Obama wore one while running for President.

19. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    I am wearing my Nacken Renegade from US microbrand NTH and loving it.

[​IMG]

It is a homage to the snowflakes tudors obviously but with its own twist. The dial is textured and really hard to capture on camera. It changes constantly in various lights.

[​IMG]

I love how thin it is at just 11.5mm thin and the 40mm case is just perfect for me.
    I love the steel bezel (really hate the scratchable aluminium - which is one of the reason why i couldn’t bring myself to get a black bay - that and the thickeness of the B.B).

20. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i wear a 16610 submariner, daily since day one.. hardly a scratch on it (hopefuly i dont jinx it now)
    i also have the ceramic sub, i kinda agree with you in a way that i prefer the smaller sub.. i dont wear the 116610. only reason i bought it cause i thought it was cool.. too big,too heavy to shiny for me to wear. i think its just perception, bigger lugs,bezel and somewhat makes the cyclops feels bigger, i dont think its actually "bigger".

for reference. im 6ft 100kg

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia