Mens’ Watches

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Harry30, 1st Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I agree it's complete madness and l thought it was funny that the store had signs up to say they will be getting more stock to stop this.
    I'm annoyed because l genuinely want to collect and appreciate watches but now it appears l can't even complete my Tudor collection.

2. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Totally agree mate. Total rubbish the entire industry is in and I'm a watch lover through and through. I've pretty much given up on adding anything to my collection right now in terms of Rolex/AP or Patek.

I've been on the waitlist for a Tudor Panda chrono for over 12 months now as well with nothing coming up.

I think I'm going to buy the Glashütte Original Panomaticlunar next. I need a German brand in my collection and this one always catches my eye. For the price point its unbeatable. Look at this beauty. Time to look at other brands me thinks.

[​IMG]

jins13 likes this.
  3. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Definitely pretty disgusted at the whole industry and people turning this hobby into their little for profit hype train.
    Like if you want to invest your money get some ****ing shares, some real estate or something. Such an annoyance when you just wanna wear a watch for your own enjoyment. Why does everything has to be turned into a money making opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Mar, 2022
  4. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

What’s the difference between flippers buying and selling watches and a first time buyer couple with a young baby who have worked hard to save a deposit for their first family home, one they’ve fallen in love with and a baby boomer outbidding them, renovating and flipping it for a profit?

It’s just business. Can’t knock people for making smart money.

5. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

I actually happen to think we would be better off as a society with stable - say inflation adjusted - property prices - I know crazy on a property forum! But yeah I see your point, we live in a free society, so everyone is free to do as they please and make a buck where they see fit. But imagine if everything was like this where you had to fight for availability: when you want to go to a restaurant, travel, purchase a drink, go to the movies, attend a concert, purchase an item you like... the list is endless. I don't want to have to be constantly trying to outbid others and jump through hoops just to enjoy what is supposed to be a hobby - something that takes me away from the hassles of work and daily life. Personally I hate the little game companies like Rolex are playing with their "waiting lists" and artificial scarcity and all that rubbish. Really makes me feel like I am a monkey dancing as they throw peanuts to my feet and I ain't doing that **** for no one, regardless of how cool or how much I like their product.

Last edited by a moderator: 30th Mar, 2022
    The Falcon likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Lol I hear ya. But that's our world. We can choose to engage in it or not. If it's important to you (like say a home), many play the game, bite the bullet and get one. If not so important like a watch? Skip it. If you want the watch.....start dancing and munching those peanuts lol

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I looked at a few Rolexes yesterday at the auction's--all are police seized 2 I think are very good SEAsian made fakes one is a older model but genuine..
    The people that buy those watches at auctions buy on the name alone and normally pay more for the fakes then the real ones-its just a watch and if it makes you happy wearing on then that's life..

David_SYD likes this.
  8. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

I hear you. I was fortunate (how ridiculous) to get a DJ41 last year at *drumroll* retail. Nice watch, but will be my only Rolex. I don’t queue in real life, I’m not going to do it for a watch. Grand Seiko will be next if I make another purchase.

Zenith Chaos and Ouga like this.
  9. IrishDigger

IrishDigger Well-Known Member

I retired in 2007 and was presented with a quality watch; it has been in the drawer ever since, given that I am retired and have little use for a time piece attached to my wrist.

Anyhow, on the subject of expensive watches, during a game of lawn bowls I was admiring a wrist watch worn by a fellow bowler, it was the approximately the size of a 50 cent piece with clear numerals, gold in colour with an expensive looking leather band. I mentioned to her that it was a nice looking watch and her reply was, "Yes, not bad for $9 at KMart, once the battery runs out I just throw it away and get another one for $9.":)

The watch,

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30th Mar, 2022
    SatayKing and The Y-man like this.
  10. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

It's light outside; it's daytime
    It's dark outside; it's nighttime.

11. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

New Rolex releases out today.

Not feeling any of them except for the new fluted bezels on ALL Platinum Day Date40s. That is awesome been waiting for fluted for many years.

Left GMT is a very strange release. I like the GMT bezel colour but the left thing is not for me.

The best release this entire year from Rolex is the Yellow Gold Yachtmaster on OysterFlex. That looks killer.

Not like any of us will be able to get any of these pieces anyway. LOL

12. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

Like the concept of the leftie as the crown digs in to my hand. Don’t like the colourway (yet).

Fluted bezel way better than smooth. Don’t like the smooth at all.

13. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

Yeah, agree - I have been eyeing Grand Seiko for a little while now.

14. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

My AD offered me a chance to buy Tudor Black Bay 58 925. I'm not convinced of the silver due to the tarnish. I think I prefer a normal 58.

upload_2022-5-6_11-20-45.png

15. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

i bought a seiko (fashioned after hamilton khaki) during a trip to singapore. saved some money there. happy!

Sackie likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

$58, 925??

17. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I went to one watch and jewellery shop yesterday to look at watches and this particular shop only sold analogue watches.
    I need a digital watch because in my work I need to be able to see the exact time. Which brand do people think has the best value for money/quality when it comes to digital sports watches and how much should you pay for something that you can wear in the shower and not risking water damage ?

18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I have one of these:

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/ozdigi...TFjQo2e7gN8OoZY3tMHcAMih2OU--JQYaAsHSEALw_wcB

Solar power and Bluetooth (auto synchs to your mobile up to 3 times a day or on demand if you are travelling and land in an airport somewhere) - even does daylight savings adjustments automagically :)

The Y-man

Serveman likes this.
  19. ozhiker

ozhiker Well-Known Member

Video killed the radio Star.

How long can an analog watches really Last?

You can get the time from about 100 different sources electronically throughout the day therefore an analog watch is simply no longer relevant for providing the time and so you’ve just got an ex pensive bracelet on your hand now

20. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Casio F91W - there's nothing more iconic ;) loved equally by both Osama Bin Laden and Barack Obama.
    How the Casio F-91W became the world’s most versatile (and dangerous) watch
    Or get the A158W with metallic bracelet if you want something a bit more "dressy".

...or just get a basic fitness watch. I wear a Huawei Band 4 Pro ($70) because it "pairs" with my Mate 20 Pro phone. It does basic pulse monitoring and sleep tracking, and can read out my SMS and WhatsApp messages, and it's not too garish or oversized.

I too need to know the exact minute for my work. I found wearing analog watches (especially cheap ones) I had to keep adjusting the time to account for minute creep.

[I do actually own an F-91W. It gets a few comments from the Newtown hipsters when I wear it out haha]

Momentum, Serveman and inertia like this.