Mens’ Watches

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Harry30, 1st Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Men generally wear little jewellery, except for a watch. So, I thought I would start a thread.

Anyone into Rolexes? Submariner or Datejust? Anyone gone into a retail shop and dropped $10 on a nice new Rolex.

I tend to like the understated ones. Would not think of having a gold Rolex on my wrist. Way too flashy.

But a nice Rolex Datejust, very nice. Also go for the less expensive, like Omega and Seiko diving watches. And if you have an abiding interest in aviation like me, well, then you must have a Breitling.

Anyone gone the whole hog and bought a Patek Phillippe. Prices start at about $25.

On one level, wrist watches are utterly redundant. Just pull out the Smartphone and you know the time right away. But, it is not the same. It does not come close to having that Rolex on the wrist.

Are you an Apple Watch person. Not for me I am afraid. I think Apple has it all wrong. Watches should have round faces and not square. Steve would not have made that mistake.

Anyway, what is your approach to watches? Are you into them? Or would you rather put the money into a deposit on your next IP?

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

These days, I think an Apple Watch or Fitbit is fashionable, and combines fashion and function.

Harry30 likes this.
  3. Peppas

Peppas Well-Known Member

I think you're leaving the k at the end of each of those prices :)

I like the Omega Speedmaster, and the history that comes with it being the moonwatch personally.

namrata, Shazi, Gousey and 3 others like this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

For the Tags and Rolex's of this world, I've been known to have a few in the past which I paid a handsome price for (from Bali);)

5. Harry30

I like the Omega Speedmaster as well. All great watches need a history, and that watch has it.

6. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

From experience I would not waste my money buying a rolex as they are
    1 expensive
    2 poor quality
    3 expensive to maintain
    4 poor warrenty

Had a rolex air-king water , got in (it was raining and I was told by the authorised agent I should have taken it off and put it in a waterproof plastic bag.
    The watch was suppose to be water resistant with the oyster case and special screw dial.
    Five years old so out of warrenty $2,500 to repair.
    They recommend all their watches to be serviced every 8 years ....cost $2,000
    Next time it dies, into the drawer it goes and I will buy a Seiko!

NHG and balwoges like this.
  7. ORAC

ORAC Well-Known Member

Consider if possible, a man should be entitled to own at least one Swiss watch in their life time.

Having said that, most Switch watch brands are concentrated in their ownership by a handful of companies, notably the Swatch Group, Richemont and LVMH. Furthermore, the mechanisms in most Swiss watches comes from one company, ETA, which is owned by the Swatch Group. Rolex is one of the few Swiss watch brands with its proprietary mechanism.

IWC is my favourite brand, consider Rolex a little cliched - but day to day wear a TAG or Casio G-shock!

8. Harry30

I don’t like to say it, but I think you are right about Rolex. Part of the problem with Rolex is that their latest marketing has gone off the rails. They were doing their very best marketing at the time they got Sir Edmond Hillary to wear a Rolex on his first ascent of Everest, and then discretely leaked the story to the media. Everyone thought, only winners wear Rolex. Now, the name is plastered all over Wimbledon, it just ain’t the same. More associated with just money now rather than achievement. Their real marketing edge has been lost.

9. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

I would also vote for the Omega Speedmaster. Mine has the skeleton back and sapphire glass, this is usually an option so check if you are heading in that direction.

Harry30 likes this.
  10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

There are some seriously practical considerations. I regularly travel to places where there is literally no place to charge a phone ~ so carrying a watch is much lighter than carrying a solar or wind charge kit.

The Y-man

Harry30 likes this.
  12. Harry30

PNG image 2.png
    Love it

Lone_Wolf and Ben_j like this.
  13. Harry30

PNG image.png Anyone here have a Sky-dweller? If you are a Rolex efficianado, often purchase 2 or 3.

14. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I found 'Lige Watches' today.
    They seem to be getting pretty good reviews, and at a price tag I can afford (<$50)!
    I like watches, but I'll never be able to buy a Rolex..

[​IMG]

Ross 355 likes this.
  15. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

I wear a Tudor Pelagos daily. Brilliant watch, mine is one of the later ones with the Tudor Calibre MT5612 with 70hr reserve. Wouldnt swap it for a Sub.

Tudor-Pelagos-Black-Baselworld-2015-1.jpg

16. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Bought one like that from the police seized auctions for 65 bucks a few months ago in Brisbane ,the jeweller I know tells me you can tell the fake Rolexes - the way you line up the date and the cut above if they don't 1000% they go in the bin..

17. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

one of the most iconic watches is square
    JLC reverso
    JLC = watch maker's watch makers.

rolex service are not that expensive.. dont need to service it until it breaks.

try getting an ap or patek into service.. or even something like JLC.

Rolex sport watch are about as "smart" money in watch term goes.. "hold value" ?

at the moment watch price increasing faster than australian houses.
    if you have money you probably be able to buy a house in sydney.
    if you walk in to an ap/patek/rolex dealer, even with money you have to wait (thats if you can get on to the waitlist) to get the in "demand" watches.

ps : watch are one the most over engineered end user - product..

18. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

The watch stopped (although it did tell the correct time twice a day)
    Took the watch to two authorised rolex agent and two non authorised watchmakers
    Both authorised agents quoted over $2k
    The non authorised said the parts are almost impossible to obtain unless you are authorised
    Do you the name of a reasonably price watchmaker who can service a rolex?

19. SLP07

SLP07 Well-Known Member

I’m definitely into watches! And specifically Tag watches...

It’s the only piece of jewellery I wear, sorry to hijack this thread but it’s awesome to see fellow property investors share the same passion as me...

We are currently finalising a new modern watch storage display for both men/ women that I hope to bring to the Australian market by Christmas, hopefully I can show everyone soon!

20. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

2k is kind anormal.. i think the cheapest you can get is maybe 800 for an omega(big major brands) but omega movements are easy to fix if its eta/lemania based. even co-axial are expensive.

Tried max at Max Schweizer Swiss Watch Service.
    he is good.. and official rolex service centre in sydney.. just to fix my wife's plexi glass.... 13 weeks.. hahahahah.. awesome service..

and few have mention they like tag.. i just like to point out.. you should know hueur.. not tag .