Melbournite in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by fleathedog, 13th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fleathedog

fleathedog Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I grew up in Melbourne and moved up to Brisbane for work 3 years ago. Now I'm 34 and got a chunk of cash in my bank account, so my mind turned to property. I have a postgrad degree in finance and work for an energy company, but very little of what I studied, and obviously none of my work experience, relates to property.

My goal is to build a portfolio of 4-5 properties (inc my PPOR) over the next 10~ years, and I'm currently looking for my first. Just in the hour or so I've found so much great info on this site, so I can't wait to get stuck in!

Mavis, samiam, MTR and 2 others like this.
  2. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

What has your ego, sorry education got to do with your investment prospects? Dip deep and read up mate..

3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Hi and welcome aboard

How do you find the change living up north? Curious because I'm from Canberra and just got back from holidays on the sunshine coast and tempted to take a permanent holiday up in qld :)

Cheers

Jamie

Pumpkin likes this.
  4. fleathedog

Cheers Jamie. My decision was purely career motivated. Brisbane is a great city and certainly has it's charms, but I love Melbourne and will probably move back there some day...

That said, living in inner city Brisbane is actually not so different to living in inner city Melbourne. I miss the food more than anything. Melbourne really is a special place for going out. The other main difference is obviously the weather. Personally, I'd swap Melbourne winter for Brisbane summer any day of the week!

There's also no real equivalent of the Sunshine Coast down south. The whole beach town thing is not my bag, but if you like the slow paced life of the coast and can stand the summer, it could just be for you ;)

Jamie Moore likes this.
  5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Well done..its usually the other way round:) brisbane does have career opps..just that they are tough to get. If u havr a good gig in bn, hold it with both hands.

fleathedog likes this.
  6. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

He's introducing himself and saying that he hasn't studied or worked in the property field. I don't feel he was being egotistical.

Pumpkin, JudsonJames and Bran like this.
  7. Whitecat

Many EL2s in the cth govt drop to EL1s to come and work in bne.

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I think it's just assumed for all people from Melbourne

9. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I can see the attraction - especially on days like today/yesterday where it's cold and gloomy.

That's one of the other reasons why I'm keen - I don't need to worry about work. I can work from anywhere.

Cheers

Jamie

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hey @fleathedog , welcome aboard.
    Are you looking to buy in Brisbane or further away?

11. fleathedog

Cheers!

I'm looking at Brisbane initially, as the first home buyers concession is a pretty good deal, and inner city property is good value. Since turning my thoughts to property though, I've become really interested, and would like to build up a portfolio of properties over time. And I'll probably end up back in Melbourne, or in some cooler climes. I find the heat up here is absolute murder!

Azazel likes this.
  12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, well plenty of time to research while you're there, with the added bonus of being able to physically visit properties.
    And you get used to the heat, can't wait to get back up there!

Whitecat likes this.
  13. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Agreed..if you can afford it, i would stick to the ex oversupply and ex floor in inner -mid suburbs. These have shown good consistent growthbin the last few years and will almost certainly do so till the end of the cycle.
    Bn is very cbd centric in terms of jobs and opps. No surprises that these areas have benefitted in a non speculative non affordability based way.

Whitecat likes this.
  14. Whitecat

Just be aware that bne is hilly and some suburbs that flooded badly also have large parts that cannot flood. Eg west end or milton. Locals know this (apart from the flood maps its not hard to tell anyway as a hill is a hill) and you will see a lot of people come out to a property at the top of a street that flooded down the bottom and many less people come to the open of the house down the bottom.
    Tldr don't exclude suburbs..Check the maps.
    There is very good demand for any house or townhouse within walking distance to the cbd. Or a short bus or train ride with a trendy hub there like ascot or nundah.

15. Whitecat

What is your budget?

16. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Welcome.

Do you mean inner ring, rather than inner city ?

ta
    rolf

17. fleathedog

Because my work is right next to a ferry stop, those are the places I'm looking at first. So Auchenflower, Toowong etc in the west, and Bulimba Hamilton etc in the east.

It funny, the first thing by Melbuourne friends say when I tell them I'm looking at property in Brisbane is "CHECKS THE FLOODS!!"

But yeah, the first thing I look at is the flood map. It's especically important since I'm looking at areas close to the ferry stops.

$350k

Err... Inner ring maybe? Not exactly sure of the lingo. Whatever Auchenflower, St Lucia etc is

18. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

They are considered Westside.

BTW, welcome to Brisbane. Hope you like the City.
    Have a look at Brisbane Open House. I have a strange feeling you might like it.