Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Nigel, 27th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Would love to get feedback from Melbournian/interstate members who have an IP in:
    • Corio

• Norlane

• Melton/South/West
    I am looking at areas around the $250-300k mark (house 3 bd) in Melbourne and would love to hear what the stigma is from these areas. I plan on visiting to get a feel for the area however am based interstate. Any thoughts, experiences, articles etc. on these areas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

Both have various stigmas. Melton is more of a mini satellite town / ghetto surrounded by tonnes of land and more cutt off from nearby developed communities.

3. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

I've made plenty of commentary on Norlane/Corio, since i live in Norlane, and have done so since 2010.

These threads have lots of discussion...

https://www.propertychat.com.au/community/posts/351526/

https://www.propertychat.com.au/community/posts/315363/

They are just posts, but you can look at the threads involved.

Pleasingly for me, as a homebuyer here, Norlane's moving up! Just down the road from my place a new 2-2-1 on a half-size block sold for $315K, a house in Canadian Pde (Between Corio Village and the Princes Hwy) sold at auction for an imposing and probably record for the area $310K, and 54 Tallis St (2 B/R on a 777m2 block) sold for $300K.

The thing to consider is not so much proximity to Melbourne, but inner Geelong suburbs are flying, East Geelong and West Geelong, Manifold Heights, Rippleside are selling for over $600K. Norlane's just 10 minutes tops away from these, and there's still older places available for lowish-mid 200K's...although they are rapidly diminishing. But back in December a 2 B/R older house on a subdivided block sold for just $167K, and that was quite close to the North Shore station.

I must say, this for me is a very pleasing trend!

4. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

I've assisted interstate purchasers in all those suburbs. Securing quality tenants is crucial. Also a building and pest inspection is very important, especially for older weatherboard and cement sheeting/asbestos properties.

5. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.