VIC Melbourne - where the good public transport is (map)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Spiderman, 12th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

If you want to buy where there is good public transport, this 'frequent network' map could be handy.

It shows the streets and suburbs areas near frequent service.

You can show services that run every 10, 15 or 20 minutes in the middle of the day.

And if you select a route you can see when it finishes at nights and how often it runs on weekends.

Melbourne public transport frequent network map - Google My Maps

A video explaining it is at:

Paula Ospina likes this.
  2. jakc

jakc Well-Known Member

This might be useful if you work CBD
    Story Map Journal

Scroll down a few sections for the temporal catchment areas.

Spiderman likes this.
  3. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I think the frequency and reliability of public transport would have absolutely zero impact on housing prices.

People are more concerned with the type of public transport and access to it. With phones these days you know exactly when transport is coming.

I am fairly confident it would be ranked in Melbourne:
    1 - Train Station
    2 - Tram Stop
    3 - Bus Stop
    4 - Ferry Stop

I was funnily enough speaking about this last night with some mates who are in the market. I have caught a train to work everyday for the past 12 years and before that uni (I’m writing this on the train).
    Anyway as you get older a seat actually starts to become important! I get on at Essendon and by then it’s fairly packed so I’m always a sardine for 25 minutes to start my day. It starts to really wear you down, especially in Winter when everyone is sick.

Point is I was saying I would happily move a few suburbs for a comfortable train ride each day. In the process save a few hundred thousand on house prices....although anyone who knows this area knows the few stations further away are actually in more expensive areas like Strathmore.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  4. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

It's essentially the same thing. Buses in Melbourne are generally pretty bad and very rarely used. The best areas are the one that are close to both trains and trams and so relatively close to the city.

5. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

The good news is, not too many more suburbs and you’re in Coolaroo which will def save you a lot of money haha ;)

MikeyBallarat and albanga like this.
  6. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Weird that! Flemington, Ascot Vale and parts of Moonee Ponds are generally rougher than high class Essendon and Strathmore