Melbourne Unit Renovation help

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by rohan abrahamson, 14th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. rohan abrahamson

rohan abrahamson New Member

Hi all... I have a 2 bedroom Unit in Brunswick, purchased 10 years ago and have had no work done to it at all in this time!
    I am looking to complete a total revamp of the place including new windows, kitchen and bathroom!
    I will not be around as I work interstate and am looking for someone I can trust to become the project manager and organize things to run smoothly.
    I haven't set an exact figure to spend, although guessing it may be around $40,000...? I don't even know if this is a accurate number!!
    Does anyone know of anyone that could help me out here..? Any other advice would also be appreciated.
    Thanks...look forward to reading the responses....

2. ashimashi

ashimashi Well-Known Member

Will the renovation make you money? If so how much value will you be expecting (on a 2bed unit in Brunswick), then decide the right amount to spend on your renovation to make it worth while. Every $$$ counts!

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

The windows belong to the Body Corporate generally - so you can't do that!

Bathrooms $8K
    Kitchens $12K
    for units as a rough rule of thumb.
    Also look to floor and window treatments and an internal paint and you should be all good.

4. rohan abrahamson

Thanks....I am only assuming the reno will add value.
    Purchased in 2006 for approx $220k
    One unit in the same block (of 10) sold prior to auction a couple of years ago....advertised $380-$420k......took offer prior at $475k
    I haven't had mine valued at all.....but i am pretty sure if i did a good job and spent $20-$40k on it...that will help in the long run.
    Should mention...that I plan to keep it for a while yet!

5. rohan abrahamson

Curious about the windows.....upstairs neighbor replaced his windows! I must ask him how he went about that! thanks...never thought about it like that!
    Definitely looking for new floor coverings...a general patch up on walls...a few dents and a new coat of paint!

6. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

It has been rented out for 10 years? There might be some scope to claim some work, like painting, as 'repairs' - much better to claim something at 100% now than 2.5% per year.
    Talk to your accountant before you do anything and take 'before' photos.

Adele likes this.