Melbourne...the steady market in Australia?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by sash, 18th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BeachBabe

BeachBabe Well-Known Member

Glenroy boomed and is $1000 per sqm. Heidelberg West has just caught up and is now on par with Glenroy but if lucky you may still get a good deal, whereas in Glenroy no chance. As mentioned in my other post try Hadfield. Predominantly 580sqm for $600k. Drawback, it doesn't have a station but it's next door to Glenroy. Its also closer to MEL CBD at about 12km

Last edited: 1st Jan, 2017
    Sunshine99 likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am just re reading the title of this thread "Melbourne the Steady Market"....

hardly.... Melbourne has been the BOOMING market since 2013 and still going

3. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

I think steady means that it is a constantly growing market. :)

4. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Hadfield prices are just as bad as Glenroy. You can still buy in Glenroy under 600k as long as your not buying 600square blocks.

5. BeachBabe

Onthehouse.com.au: Your Home for Property Research

I beg to differ. There are still opportunities in Hadfield to subdivide and develop. If you keep connected, and have your eyes on the target, ear to the ground there are opportunities.

129 east st Hadfield
    $592k for 603m2 Sold a month ago, 29 Nov 2016

6. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Subdivide and develop? When you can buy a large block with a renovated house on it for 600k or so, developing does make sense unless your a builder.
    I still think property prices are very similar in both Hadfield and Glenroy, the median house price in Hadfield Is actually more than glenroy although not by much. As a preference in actually living in both areas, I would buy in glenroy any day over Hadfield.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Steadily booming?

Gypsyblood and MTR like this.
  8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

So long as it is not going backwards...lots of affordability left in outer Melbourne.....

Connor and Cactus like this.
  9. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Agree with everything you have said.
    This is a a top list (and are really the only suburbs that are closed to melb CBD which haven't jumped. Kingsbury would be a top pick due to Latrobe University. Heidelberg West I think has already taken off.

10. BeachBabe

It will keep on steaming ahead. Melb is considered 'cheap' compared to SYD so there's a 'significant' amount of intra-state investment in MEL from Sydney siders who like to come south of the border and meet us Melbourne Mexicans wink wink...

I still think there are a few years of growth left. In the west it is 'natural increase' of being undervalued for so long, in the East, the likes of Doncaster, Glen Waverley have dropped back to correct levels. Provided the developers in the unit/apartment market don't fold like a pack of cards and impinge on the houses market MEL should continue on. Even with a small interest rate rise, the market will keep at it's' pace. This place is booming with so much competition it's nuts.... never in my life have i seen this intensity and level of purchasing. Every 2nd property listed in some suburbs is under contract or sold...not to mention the off market properties that don't even hit realestate.com and the likes....

Gypsyblood, Sunshine99 and MTR like this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

article supports what you are saying....

Sydney, your time as Australia’s most sought-after address could soon be over.

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Go you beautiful thing.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

BeachBabe likes this.
  14. BeachBabe

I am bias as i am a Melbournite. I love Melb. But honestly i do look from the perspective of an 'outsider' looking in when i make the comments. Having traveled the world you honestly will find it hard to beat MEL city in terms of what is offered here. SYD is basically at capacity and other cap cities will start to grow like PER, BNE to take on the increased migration.

MTR likes this.
  15. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

^ this has been my experience! I looked at Hadfield when I was buying and just could not see what the hype was about? Glenroy gave me much more at the door step interms of amenities. Probably why it has taken off the way it has!

Barny likes this.
  16. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I wish I bought in glenroy years ago, I still think Hadfield is ok, just that glenroy has the station near by and shopping centre/amenities as you say.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  17. Jaggannath

Jaggannath Well-Known Member

All these western suburbs have risen significantly

18. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes. I like Melbourne as well.
    However, my biggest issue with Melbourne is that it's not networked as well as Sydney and after 5-7 years, Brisbane.
    This will be key to long term sustainable growth.
    It's networked well to nz, and Sydney...its level of trade, connections etc.. But that's not going to be the main driver in the medium and long terms. It's going to be Asia predominantly for Australia, with secondary markets of US and Canada.. Eg China, Vietnam, India etc..whoever can maximise that opportunity will be the big winners.
    Nothing new here..but easier said than done.

MTR likes this.
  19. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Not networked - what do you mean?

20. Luke_melb

Luke_melb Member

Yeah, the Melbourne market still has a couple of years of growth in it - at least! Massive migration coming in. Not all suburbs are growing the same. Always check the demand vs supply for the suburb you're looking at before buying. & try to understand the attraction factors for that suburb. I've been property investing for 10 years, Melbourne is the place to be at the moment :)

melbournian likes this.