Melbourne...the steady market in Australia?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by sash, 18th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JamesP

JamesP Well-Known Member

If you're looking Casey/Cardinia area Beaconsfield Upper is solid :)

Tight supply, incredibly high rental demand, high rents, hasn't moved yet. Always moves after the others throughout my history. All the speculators are probably not buying there as it has apparently gone up "33%" according to SPI, ksou and other popular search engines. however the houses there range from 500k to 2ml, in rather even proportions. Only 12 or so homes are up for sale usually per year and this distorts the median. The median changes with every individual home sold lol.

It's a bit different though to your average suburb, no infastructure itself it's a heritage area. 90% or something of homes in the area are owned, if rates rise prices aren't dropping any time soon!

From an investor perspective it's in the bush, however currently ridiculously cheap compared to all the surrounding suburbs.

ashish1137 likes this.
  2. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

It's lovely but had bush fire risk and is more of an owner occupier product to me.

I love harkaway as well.

3. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Didnt even know about Beaconsfield until reading this thread. Thanks for sharing.

4. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Beaconsfield is in between Berwick and officer.

Upper Beaconsfield is up the hill has a more country town feel like an Olinda.

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep...the sweet spot in Melbourne outer suburbs is the 350-450 product near amenities. Oh it has to Torrens title.

Lots of people are worried about small houses...have a look at the demographics....there is huge demand from downsizers for small houses - typically 2x2x1 or 3x2x2 or 3x2x1 with a small garden.

The demand for this product will be huge in next 3-5 years. Have a ready about what Bernard Salt is saying.

Realist35 and Cactus like this.
  6. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

This is a good point I have mainly been squeezing 4/2/2s onto 10.5x28-32 blocks, but I also have some 8.5x28s I will be putting 3/2/1s on when they title.

I agree there is and will be a strong demand for 2/2/1s with retirees and single parent one child families. The only prob is you need to find a small enough and rea cheap enough block to make it work. Otherwise it's worth spending the extra to get another room if it fits.

ashish1137 likes this.
  7. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

househuntn and larrylarry like this.
  8. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

10. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Neither. I followed alink there and was able to read it. But now can't weird.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I believe auction clearances still the highest in Australia.... nice to know.

I also think the interest rate drop is going to keep the shine going, good one for property investors.

MTR:)

12. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I am also thinking about the opportunity when the music does stop.....all those people who buy in and can't service loans when rates eventually rise to something like 6.5-7%.

Work the numbers....a jump from 4.2% to 6.5-7% is something like a 55-65% increase in repayments. ;)

13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

MTR likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I always have plan B, have a bet each way, I am not greedy, happy to hold and happy to sell and balance the books and keep the stress levels down. My blood pressure is excellent these days...LOL

Maso19 likes this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes...agree...I trying to get missile lock before I sell some in Melbourne based on the last cycle....they will have doubled in 9 years...ok nothing to write home about but I keep most of the profits.

Cactus and Perthguy like this.
  17. Maso19

Maso19 Member

Hey Sash,

As I understand you are a developer. Have you noticed much development action around outer suburbs of Melbourne? I was thinking about 100+ dwellings built or there abouts, if this is happening around the outer suburbs, this might be a good sign?

18. Maso19

Maso19 Member

What about markets within markets , would this time after boom really affect even the outer suburbs of Melbourne?

19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Last few months Frankston has been doing very well. Stock is low, vacancy rates are low, rents are up, sales volume is high and prices are getting higher. Not sure how long this will last but I'd say it's on for young and old in Frankston about now (apparently some other outer suburbs too such as Geelong).

ashish1137, SOULFLY3 and Maso19 like this.
  20. Maso19

Maso19 Member

Thanks , will look into it.