VIC Melbourne set to take Sydney's crown in the top city stakes - and it has implications for property

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Properwin, 18th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Properwin

Properwin Well-Known Member

Melbourne used to hold the title of the world’s most liveable city, but plummeted down the rankings in the midst of COVID-19 when local fled to escape lengthy lockdowns.

Despite this, Melbourne is predicted to bounce back strongly to be the fastest-growing capital for population from next year.

And it’s on track to imminently topple Sydney in the biggest city stakes, becoming home to the most people – some 5.9 million – by 2030, according to the Centre for Population’s latest projections.

Source: Melbourne About To Take Sydney's Crown In Top City Stakes

Thoughts from experts here? Even more growth for Melbourne forecasted in the longer term?

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Agree with this....people have prematurely discounted Melbourne. With the advent of Brisbane risking so quickly...and Melbourne rents among the cheapest in the country....you will see migration reverse by late next year.

If Melbourne corrects say even 5%...it would not make sense to move to Brisbane given the job opportunities...pay and cost of living. Let see....it is certainly looking like this is where things are heading.

Properwin and Nando Lee like this.
  3. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

Suck on that Sydney!

PinkPanther and Properwin like this.
  4. RobS1993

RobS1993 Well-Known Member

I’m 99% convinced if Sydney had nicer beaches Sydney wouldn’t even be a close second.

Everything else is just nicer in Melbourne. Better food, better bars, better cycling tracks, the people IMO are much less insufferable in Melbourne.

If my wife wasn’t from Sydney and I wasn’t a beach bum be out Id be out if here in a flash! We were even considering Melbourne for a brief period but wife prefers to stay Sydney for family.

djyella, Aaran91, PinkPanther and 3 others like this.
  5. Properwin

162EAE46-5417-4B75-B3FB-2B031D2E8A88.gif

6. Dmash

Dmash Well-Known Member

Hmm I would love to believe this however I think people place a higher value on the lifestyle Sydney offers than the experiences Melbourne does.

It will also take a lot before Melbourne is recognised as the #1 city ahead of Sydney from an international perspective too.

Properwin likes this.
  7. Properwin

It’s true.

It’s hard to beat Sydney’s international brand recognition and its harbour with bridge and opera house. Melbourne doesn’t have anything that recognisable.

Whitecat likes this.
  8. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

Also Sydney is more landlocked than Melbourne because of the sea, especially the CBD is quite close to the sea in Sydney. That might keep the Sydney price higher too while Melbourne can have more supply.

Whitecat and Properwin like this.
  9. Shaggerr

Shaggerr Member

yep everything is better in Melbourne ... better climate ... oh wait

Properwin likes this.
  10. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Personally, I hope Melbourne takes in all the new comers and interstate migration, Sydney is getting crowded and overdevelopment is rife. Wouldn't mind a slow down to be honest.

Properwin likes this.
  11. L_auren

L_auren Well-Known Member

What food is better in Melbourne?

12. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Melbourne has better weather because sydney has more rain and is more humid
    Greek, Italian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai, Chinese, Middle eastern, African, vegetarian, Spanish and French

rizzle, Joynz, RobS1993 and 2 others like this.
  13. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Except for the Australian open, formula 1, MotoGP, Melbourne cup, spring racing festival, grand final, arts, culture, theatres, biggest cinema screen in the world, surf breaks, cafes, restaurants, live music, stand up comedy, bars, graffiti, trams, shopping etc

Propin, Aaran91, RobS1993 and 5 others like this.
  14. Properwin

And coffee. Don’t forget coffee.

Momentum, Propin, Dmash and 2 others like this.
  15. Arthurark

Arthurark Well-Known Member

Big Liverpool FC fan here,

when I saw them in Melbourne it was a spiritual experience. The pubs were hopping, the atmosphere in and around the stadium on the night was intense.

when I saw them in Sydney there was a tonne of club promoters outside the stadium, people were walking in 30 mins before after getting off work at 7. No atmosphere, none

Melbourne passed the European football test, Sydney failed miserably

sanj, RobS1993, Nando Lee and 3 others like this.
  16. Properwin

Many overseas visitors have said that Melbourne is a lot more “European” in feel and culture compared to other Aussie cities.

17. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

LOVE this thread, not because i care, but because i feel a great affinity with hte SOuth of the river being better than the North of the riverf. I think it must be true everywhere

Arthurark and Properwin like this.
  18. RobS1993

“International recognition” is a wanky and BS term. You have to think about your day to day life. Does being internationally recognised make your average day better? Salaries are marginally higher but not by much. But then again Sydney is a pretty wanky city in general. I’ve never lived somewhere with so much post code snobbery before.

The lifestyle in Melbourne trumps Sydney apart from beaches. As I said in my post above.

Food, culture, arts, stand up comedy, traffic, education, cycling etc etc Sydney has no handle on melbourne.

That being said Melbourne’s premier is a huge negative.

And mind you, this is all coming from a non biased place. I’m originally not from either Sydney or Melbourne but I have lived in both city now. (And continue to live in Sydney)

I’ve also noticed people from Sydney also tend to be extremely insecure about their city being “the best in the world”. It’s pretty hilarious. It’s alright but definitely not the best in the world, not even close.

Last edited: 19th Feb, 2022
  19. RobS1993

Restaurants are far far better in Melbourne and better priced too. This is coming from a true foody that eats out around 3 nights a week with wife and friends. I’ve been to all major restaurants.

Asian food is marginally better in Sydney but that’s about it. (But depends where you go) because all the good Asian food is located in the west in Sydney.

Whitecat and Nando Lee like this.
  20. Dmash

Dmash Well-Known Member

I live in Melbourne however frequent Sydney regularly. As I said we have much better attractions down here but the weather and beaches in Sydney are what give it the edge. As of a month ago Dan Andrews had an approval rating of over 70% so unless you’re just swallowing what channel 7 & 9 are telling you I’m not sure why he would be a detractor. He creates thousands of jobs with his infrastructure spending (even if I disagree with the amount they get paid on those jobs) and instead of “saying” he actually “does”.

Agree re Sydney being a wanky city

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia