VIC Melbourne price correction - post examples

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by mues, 10th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. adrian_christian

adrian_christian Well-Known Member

Thought it was time to post an actual example.

3 bedroom house in Heathmont.. kerbside bank Val November 2017 of $863,000.

Appraised by REA $850,000-$900,000 in December 2017.

Instead of selling first quarter of this year, I wait to list in July for $850-900,000...week 1 of campaign get told to drop SOI to $800,000-$850,000. I tell the selling REA I did a tiny vomit in my mouth. Fast forward 3 weeks later, passed in on vendor bid, zero interest. Re-advertised post auction at $825,000. At this point we hate the REA and we hate property.

4 weeks after the auction we get a couple of bids of $750,000... then to $775,000.. selling REA is literally begging us to take the $775,000. We dig our heels in and get the last remainder investor to offer $801,000 in October.

Settles tomorrow. Sums up the correction in eastern Melbourne I would say. I’ve been told by many we were lucky to get $801,000.

Ben_j, TMNT, 3rd Drop and 1 other person like this.
  2. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Hate real-estate.

It maybe outside your risk profile.

Also when did you buy? Have you already made money and just upset you could have made more?

In late 2017 the market was already taking a turn for the worse. Did you have to hold longer or it was out of your control.

The above is no different to shares or any other investment. Picking the Top is not easy.

The best of the best on this forum were picking 2015 as the top. You read summer soft same ..

3. johnmteliza

johnmteliza Well-Known Member

For the 4 bedroom median house price at least, Heathmont's median was $1,100,000 in November 2017. It was then $975,000 in October of 2018 (Core logic RP data). Thats a $125,000 drop. So based on your REA val of $850,000-$900,000 it should have really sold for $725,000-$775,000 in October 2018. $801,000 is definitely very lucky.

4. johnmteliza

Doncaster is holding up a little better than the other suburbs in the area. Still it would be wise to get out while you still can. The broader market is indicating that Doncaster won't stay afloat forever.

Attached Files:

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I don't understand this advice. If you can hold, why should you sell out? Will it stay down forever?

The Y-man

6. johnmteliza

I don't believe the market will stay down forever either. However, if you are looking to sell in the shorter term, it would be better to sell now than later. This is especially because of what has just occurred in surrounding suburbs.

Last edited: 14th Nov, 2018
  7. The Y-man

Ok - the way you wrote your reply might look (to a new investor or home owner) they should sell regardless. I think it is important to qualify the statements (as you have now done)

The Y-man

johnmteliza likes this.
  8. 3rd Drop

3rd Drop Well-Known Member

I have attended a few Auctions in Wheelers Hill and Glen Waverly last Saturday. All of them passed in. Two in Glen without any bid at all. Another 4+2+2 went up to $960k.
    One Double story beautiful home in Wheelers Hill passed in for $1.01M. The other 4+2+2 passed in for $897k. Lots of crowds but very few bidders. To my understanding, confidence on the market is very very low. They are definitely down by 10% from the peak.

Jeffb and johnmteliza like this.
  9. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

AFR has an article with lot of speculators come late into the market and land bank with credit card or pull family funding together and hope to flipped for profit, basicly these people dont have money they want to make a quick bucks and gamble with speculations

Now they got caught in the vortex of down turn and losing money big time

here is the article
    Satterley warns 5000 Melbourne housing lots to be resold, prices to fall 10pc

10. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

This ongoing fall (or call it 'boom in wrong direction' if one likes), by the time is done will have quite a lot of Multicultural family in ruins, many have borrowed to the max and suffering the pain in the hope of past cycle repeating itself and quick recovery bailing them out in worst case.

Last edited: 15th Nov, 2018
  11. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

10-15 years human tend to forget previous down turn, but 27 years of boom takes it to the next level, people only think there is only one direction and discard all warning signs.

TheSackedWiggle likes this.
  12. mues

mues Well-Known Member

I’m interested in this one. 27 Rowell Street, Rosanna, Vic 3084

Been on market a while. Passed in at auction. At the price point it’s hard to get finance. I think it is one of those really good test properties, because it’s it’s neither awesome or bad. It’s just a middle ground property.

I’m gonna follow it.

Highett is another area I’m gonna track. Similar profile mid tier suburb close to high end suburbs.

13. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Report out today, make of it what you may.

Unemployment rate stays at six-year low of 5%

CommSec chief economist Craig James said the figures were good news for consumer-focused businesses, noting that the date along with consumer confidence above its longer-term averages would support household spending.

Since October 2017, full-time employment in Australia has increased by 238,800 persons, while part-time employment increased by 69,400 persons.

Unemployment rate stays at six-year low of 5%

14. adrian_christian

adrian_christian Well-Known Member

I think you missed my acerbic wit with that comment, but moving on.. We bought in 2010 when we had more bedrooms than children, so we made some good money, just annoyed I missed the turn in the cycle.

We had tenants in it the last few years while we were living overseas and thought that selling it whilst tenants were in there would reduce the pool of interested parties.

I've been buying and selling properties for 21 years, so perhaps not outside my risk profile, but thanks for the concern.

AnDy62 likes this.
  15. JamesP

JamesP Well-Known Member

Can we start a class action against news.com for trying to tank the market with propaganda headlines every 2 days?

Getting REALLY annoying!

16. The Y-man

Come on, if that happened, there'll be some people on PC that won't have anything to write about :p

The Y-man

JamesP and d_walsh like this.
  17. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

Hi Mues
    what other Melb suburbs are on you radar if you are comfortable sharing that is.

18. johnmteliza

Highett and Rosanna are also declining.

Attached Files:

19. mues

mues Well-Known Member

Yeh I should clarify. I like those two suburbs for what they represent in the Melbourne market. Not really to buy in. Would be weird to look at both, as they are a long way apart.

johnmteliza likes this.
  20. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member