VIC Melbourne price correction - post examples

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by mues, 10th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Tell me about it.
    The numner of people who chose a suburb with the toss of a coin, and have done well.

Many of them think they are gun investors.

Lets see them rinse and repeat

I know of one who bought timing well and then got cocky and bought a few mining town properties

TheSackedWiggle likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

.... or you were at a nudist beach!

The Y-man

Luca and TheSackedWiggle like this.
  3. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

my impression, from many posts I read on PC(from well know industry experts), was that most non leveraged OOs don't use their max borrowing capacity so would hardly be affected by current credit tightening.
    but who knows, like the impact and extent of using actual expense is just coming to front,
    we may be surprised at the extent of how close OOs are to their borrowing capacity.

The one I am watching very closely is the impact of IO2PI rollover in next three years
    There have been few articles exaggerating the preemptive IO rollovers but when we collate banks data from recent results there is still close to 380bn (excluding the preemptive loans) to be expired in next three years. I think many who could have.. would have already switch due to penalising IO rates. High chances of significant number of of those who are left to rollover would find themselves in high-risk category resulting in number of forced sale in coming years,

Sellers don't drop prices just for fun they have an option to not sell unless they have to for whatever reason.
    2018 was the first years of full 120bn IO2PI expiry, would be interesting to see how much of it was forced sale due to IO2PI rollover (if at all) and how much FONGO apart from regular divorce etc sales.

Last edited: 13th Nov, 2018
  4. mues

mues Well-Known Member

One of the big illusions on here is the use of “most” or “the majority” of people. Eg. most don’t borrow that much. The majority have good cash buffers. Most won’t be impacted but P+I.

We underestimate the impact of the 10% who do stupid stuff on the market. A person over leveraged drives the more conservative people higher. A fire sale drives a street down, then it spreads to a pocket and a suburb.

MTR and TheSackedWiggle like this.
  5. johnmteliza

johnmteliza Well-Known Member

The Box Hill/Blackburn/Doncaster area is a good example. This has been mostly caused by the lack of foreign investment when compared to previous years.

Attached Files:

3rd Drop and berten like this.
  6. MC1

MC1 Well-Known Member

So Apra had no affect?? Please ....

7. MC1

MC1 Well-Known Member

Based on what you actually spend?? I don't spend what the living expenses say I can tell you that much!
    According to the lenders, I can't service my existing debt ..... but in fact I do quite comfortably.
    I've been in this game for 20+ years

Ben_j and 3rd Drop like this.
  8. TheSackedWiggle

Why is APRA doing, what its doing?

Systemic risk posed to financial systems by 'ever growing credit froth' has to be tackled else it risks bringing down the entire house of cards.

Its a new game for banks as well as they realise that they can't push 'ever growing credit can' further down the lane anymore.
    In the pursuit of frothy deleverage there will be overshoots and that's collateral damage. The process to assess risk will evolve and will get more efficient in removing overshoots over time, but the credit tightened environment will be the new-normal, and not likely going anywhere for some years to come.

Last edited: 14th Nov, 2018
  9. TheSackedWiggle

Of course APRA's Credit tightening has an effect but the degree varies, It gets exponentially worse the more leveraged your are to an extent of being capped and its intentional.

For non leverage OOs/FHBs who are not pushing to the max, and have their expense and deposits in order APRAs intervention has minimal impact. Falling prices are bonus and its will get bigger till the headwinds in next two three years are cleared.

I think APRAs is a smart policy, very targeted, not blunt like IR raises which punishes all not just the problem area.

Noobieboy likes this.
  10. mues

mues Well-Known Member

I agree that we couldn’t cut interest rates enough from this point to counteract APRA. APRA targeting is a good thing too.

Noobieboy likes this.
  11. turk

turk Well-Known Member

I realise around 30% of OOs are not leveraged but that would be very rare for a FHB.

12. The Y-man

Agree, I have seen some crazy purchases where one job hiccup will spell disaster.

Having said that, wouldn't most FHBs have gone down the P/I path anyway lowering the risk in terms of bad cashflow outcomes in the future?

They will of course be subject to interest rate risks though.

The Y-man

13. The Y-man

Hi @MC1

Have been hearing about this retail crash - can you give me a "dummies" version of how/why? Is it the great Amazonian invasion?

The Y-man

Dan Peninsula likes this.
  14. turk

turk Well-Known Member

The point I was trying to make if there is a loan on a property there is leverage, it is the level of leverage that APRA is interested in.

The poster seems to not understand the meaning of leverage.

15. TheSackedWiggle

maybe he is implying retail impact due to reversal of wealth effect(feeling rich) due to falling prices?

Can it be countered by rising left over disposable income due to smaller loans on back of falling prices? o_O

16. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

APRAs policy is a very blunt instrument. As you can see by teh affect. Yes targeted but very blunt.

It has most definitely affected FHOM. Thats is in Sydney and Melbourne. Couple trying to buy a house in 30min commute to the City are priced out of alot of housing stock (house) and now have to look at apartments.

APARs policy may within 24 months result in a recession. We will see.

I ahve a large client base of builders in Sydney who are starting to feel the policy shift. Construction is one of r Sydney's largest employers.

Time will tell.

17. TheSackedWiggle

They don't have to jump now, have patience, and the way things are falling this couple might get what they were after at a much lower price.

Sydney/Melb and Risk of recession?

I have lost count, how many times I have read here "how gung-ho Sydney's economy is"
    and how it can bear the brunt of any downfall with flying colours,
    or its just a matter of time before Sydney snaps back all the losses and continues its journey to infinity and beyond.

Are you suggesting RE boom was keeping Sydney/Melb economy going strong and in absence of ever growing credit we risk a recession?

18. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting RE boom was keeping Sydney/Melb economy afloat and in absence of ever growing credit we risk a recession?

Did i say afloat? let me check may be I made I did......nope, no I didnt ...

But as one of the largest employers of Sydney and Melbourne 5/8% of the workforce looking for work has the potential to do this.

19. TheSackedWiggle

from economy going strong / gung-ho to potential recession is quite a change don't you think?

But I have changed the usage of "Afloat' to "going strong",
    instead of picking on choice of word or semantics and derail, lets focus on broader point.

20. The Y-man

...and of course it is harder to get financing for a small CBD apartment even if it is more affordable! :(

The Y-man