Melbourne population overtaking Sydney imminently

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by scientist, 20th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Ouch:p:eek:

2. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

I concur re soccer. Lived in the uk. It took up so much news, but the news was rarely about the results of a game, more about who was being signed up by who, will your team be promoted mext year etc. All pomp and little circumstance. Re the Melbourne v sydney thing, melb is bettser than 98pct of places in the world, but sydney is the top .01pct. I love house sitting there for sister in law in northern beaches. Its basically a top notch holiday destination with the beaches. There wluld bo no need to go to qland, fiji eyc if yhat was on your doorstep.

Illusivedreams and David_SYD like this.
  3. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

The fact that opposition supporters can sit next to each other at a game and not start a brawl, or lose or win a game and not set fire to the town/suburb is a good thing.

craigc and MTR like this.
  4. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Ummm how about Australian Tennis grand slam in Melbourne (only 4 all year).
    The Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne
    The Boxing Day Test in Melbourne
    The Australian MotoGP in Melbourne

I mean really it’s not even a debate.
    Oh and let’s not forget how many times Melbourne has topped the list of most liveable cities in the world.....

Sydney people only argument over Melbourne is beaches and they are blown away by QLD and WA beaches....so yeah Sydney is really just the “average” Joe of Australia :p

codeninja, craigc, Mulianto and 4 others like this.
  5. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

Yeh I mean in my experience that’s not the case but you’re entitled to your opinion.

Let’s face it, Australian sport is pretty pathetic by global standards :D but Australia as a country is one of the (if not THE) best in the world. To get back on topic, I confidently stand by my assertions that sport is by no means any drive or attraction for living in Melbourne, particularly over living in Sydney.

George Smiley likes this.
  6. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

I agree in terms of a civil, family crowd but absolutely ZERO passion or atmosphere. To me it’s saddening that most Aussie kids will grow up never experiencing the atmosphere and passion you get at UK/ European football games but it’s definitely not something I’d wish on them week in and week out :D besides, Aussie kids that have grown up around Northern Beaches/ Lower North Shore and Eastern Suburbs would certainly not be cut out for it

George Smiley likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

How lucky are we to live in Australia..... period

another view from across the sea based on housing, education, lifestyle.... Syd/Melb did not make number 1

Adelaide number 1

icic and David_SYD like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

..... all good..... but how do you get rid of Dan:p

9. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Thanks but I would rather stick a blunt fork in my eye while eating a cow manure and salad bread roll :p
    You have absolutely NFI at all :p

Don't forget the Melbourne cup and Spring racing carnival, along with the golf and the rest of them. I think Melbourne is only one of 2 cities in the world which host both the MotoGP and Formula One. The weather in sydney also sucks more than MEL, they have more than twice as much rainfall every year

Last edited: 23rd May, 2021
    codeninja, craigc, Aaran91 and 4 others like this.
  10. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's great for pensioners

11. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

And sicko murderers also like to hang out here. I read something recently that said Adelaide has the most amount of sick, weird and depraved murders because it's the only city not settled by convicts. Instead it was settled by 2 groups, the church people and the anti church people. Not sure if it's true but thought it was interesting

12. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

This is a joke right?

codeninja, Mulianto, Aaran91 and 5 others like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Even though I love Sydney, Melbourne has a lot of charm and many options for entertainment last I was there. People definitely friendlier.

codeninja, Silverson, Codie and 3 others like this.
  14. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Sorry guys! Was trying my best to defend Sydney, but I obviously didn’t do a very good job :p
    Can we all go back to being friends now.. :D

albanga and MTR like this.
  15. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Any of this have anything to do with property prices?
    Checking for a friend.

albanga likes this.
  16. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

haha I said from the start this is going to turn into a Sydney V Melbourne debate...admittedly I started it :p

17. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Well there's nothing better than a bit of comic relief, and this thread has certainly provided that!
    To think that anyone with half a brain would consider either Sydney or Melbourne as a desirable location to reside..... I thought this site was visited by intellectual folk.....oh well!:D:D

albanga likes this.
  18. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Surely with Sydney house prices higher than Melbourne's for many years to come, it means that Sydney is better because of all the demands? Why are we even debating this?

19. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

upload_2021-5-24_15-42-53.png
    So where is Australian financial wealth from? Whether we like it or not stats show over 50% located in RE and over 20% in Super, etc...
    Hence when governments need funds they make rules and changes to those asset classes?
    Most in OZ seem to invest there otherwise those asset classes would not grow, so why blame something out of our control? Where should it be redistributed?

MTR likes this.
  20. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Totally agree, mind you even the greatest game of all (soccer) has lost a lot of its European atmosphere in the last decade as small boutique stadiums have made way for larger, more sterile ones and working class fans have lost out to wealthy season ticket holders.

David_SYD likes this.