MELBOURNE or Sydney first home buyer

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Kasid, 18th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kasid

Kasid New Member

Hi all, I am a single parent in late 30's looking to buy a property, I am looking to buy a home, but very confused whether to buy am apartment in Homebush or a villa sort of thing near Girraween or Quakers hill or buying a property in tarneit or any other suburbs and moving to Melbourne. I am currently renting in inner west Sydney. Hoping to find under $60000. Good Schools are my priority. The mortage broker advised that there will no stamp duty concession if I buy a property in Melbourne, is that true? Can some please suggest me whether to buy apartments in inner west or villas bit outer. The inner west suburbs I am looking for appts are summer hill, ashfield, Strathfield up to Homebush. I am looking Villas are near Girraween, Quakers hill, greystanes or Merrylands. Unsure whether last two would be a safest option for me. Safety is also important factor to consider. Please give your suggestions please. I am very new to buying property and totally ignorant of the process etc. I am reading old posts to educate myself. I am working from home which means i can still do the same job even if i decide to move. Thanks in advance.

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

You only get stamp duty exemption if you're a first home buyer. This means you're buying your home, not an investment property. Convincing a lender that you can move state and continue in the same job could be difficult unless you're self employed in a business that enjoys that kind of flexibility.

3. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

It seems to be you are casting too big a net. Melbourne will definitely give you bang for your buck in terms of cheaper price point, but better property.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if cheaper prices are possible with the top priority for the OP which is "Good School" under $600k in Melb (BTW I assume it is $600k, and not $60k!!).

The Y-man

5. Kasid

Kasid New Member

Sorry, yes meant to say $600000 , my apologies. It looks loan approval can be tricky if I decide to move to Melbourne. Thank you for responses

6. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

You have not mentioned the configuration but will be lucky to get a villa at that price in Sydney suburbs you listed.

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member