Melbourne or Perth

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by snoopy, 27th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. snoopy

snoopy Well-Known Member

We are significantly over the land tax thresholds in NSW and Qld and were looking at buying in another State.

Melbourne will be the largest city in Australia once the borders open up and Perth is recovering from a downturn so probably has a bit more upside, but it is so isolated.

Thoughts?

2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Perth currently has a housing rental shortage.
    Media articles suggest WA industry requires a huge number of skilled workers. Industry wants overseas migrants to fill vacancies

VICPER and snoopy like this.
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It really depends on your budget. Historically Perth has had better yields than Melbourne so is easier to hold and if we're looking at $700k market then that buys something wayyyy better in Perth and only gets you outer reach land estates in Melb which might not have as much CG potential as Perth

Colin Rice and snoopy like this.
  4. PeterCr

PeterCr Well-Known Member

Agree with Westminster - Perth will probably get you something a lot better closer to the CBD for similar price points I suspect. Perth is the way to go I would say - the pricing in Perth has not reached the previous high points - and if that trajectory was to continue and previous records was to be surpassed - Perth has a bit more potential.

Other parameters may need to be reviewed - Risks, Strategy, etc that may provide you a bit more insight I suppose.

snoopy likes this.
  5. snoopy

snoopy Well-Known Member

What would an middle class area, 10ks out of the city in Perth where I can build say 3 or 4 townhouses - over 800sqm with an old house, close to train station? for around $1m

6. Westminster

Sorry can you rephrase that?
    Are you asking what suburbs are within 10km from city where you can buy a site for 3-4 townhouses for around $1m near a train station?

You're list is very specific and might only refer to one suburb - which is why I'm asking if it's a statement or a question?
    Anyway if it's a question then you're probably looking at Maylands, Bayswater, Glendalough, Bedford, East Vic Park, Carlisle and probably a few others but it's pretty easy to look at maps and those criteria and work it out.

Whether its a good idea or profitable is a whole other story.

7. snoopy

snoopy Well-Known Member

Thank you - those are specific requirements based on our previous experience in Sydney. It’s for a long term hold.

I will research those suburbs.

8. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

The problem with Perth is the management fees will take a huge chunk of your cashflow, unless you self manage. I would be contrarian and invest in Melbourne inner city units - small walk up blocks in good locations like inner bayside

Spiderman and Westminster like this.
  9. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

10. Westminster

Yes please do be aware that management fees in Perth are much higher than other states

craigc and Colin Rice like this.
  11. VICPER

VICPER Well-Known Member

12. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

. Details sent.

VICPER likes this.
  13. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Circa 10 to 12% all inc.

14. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

Ouch why are the fees so expensive over there? On the east coast management fees are 4-6% and includes all those side fees they are gouging you with.

15. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

Wow that's expensive!

16. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Cheapest in Perth I can find.
    DFR used to charge 10% flat don't know if new customers can get that with RMA

17. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

It's a good question, I will ask my PM why such a disparity in fees between the west and east coast and report back as she is very helpful and knowledgeable.

18. Jaacksn

Jaacksn Well-Known Member

Hi Colin, I am myself very curious

would love to know

19. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Im guessing the high management fees are just a hangover from the last mining boom where it was hard to get employees on average money

The rates were never decreased after the boom because the rent dropped through the floor

Pretty much everything is more expensive in WA with the exception being housing affordability

20. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

Even before the boom really gathered steam (eg early 2003) WA PMs were expensive.

It was like there was a cartel operating - everyone was charging 9.35% (incl GST) with lots of add-ons to bring it to well over 10%.

An opportunity may await to enter the PM market (eg offer a flat 9%) and shake up the industry.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.