Melbourne lockdown protests 19 Sep 21

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Stoffo, 19th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

I have spoken to Covid positive Cases in NSW.

I have spoken to one, a lovely young man who was so worried his parents would get it from him. “If Mum gets it, do you think she’ll be OK?”

I have spoken to a Mum who was not a case, but her husband and children were, and very unwell. She was just exhausted, physically and emotionally.

I have spoken to a normally healthy young man one morning, who was becoming unwell. I spoke to him again in the afternoon and he had deteriorated severely in just a few hours. I reminded him not to hesitate to call an ambulance.

I have spoken to households where 6 of 8 residents are cases. It’s probably just a matter of time before the remaining two members will be positive.

What happens when household adults are both unwell and children need care?

If lockdowns are too hard to cope with, please imagine lockdown while you/your nearest and dearest are struggling with illness, fearful of hospitalisation or worse.

It’s a numbers game - lockdowns are minimising case numbers, so that services can cope and provide care and support to those in need.

Please get vaccinated and count your blessings.

Shazz@, Joynz, Tony3008 and 4 others like this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Ten police officers were injured, with six taken to hospital. The officers sustained a range of injuries including torn muscles, a broken elbow, a broken nose, a broken finger and bruising.

Even ignoring this, the deliberate non wearing of masks by many of the protestors, on top of lack of distancing, was also a form of violence against others, one which may well cause illness or worse.

As for Ghandi and MLK. There were many protests. There was very little violence, despite many advocating for violent resistance. Yet both had their lives ended by violence.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Stoffo and Lizzie like this.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

How many protestors were injured? How many were taken to hospital?

4. geoffw

Potentially, quite a lot. It would only take one case of Covid, and with the number of protestors without masks or practicing social distancing, it may be a spreading event.

We might not ever know the extent of spreading during previous protests. People probably didn't check in to the event, and if contacted by the contact tracers, are unlikely to admit that they were at a protest.

Lizzie likes this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

You are kidding right ?
    We can't hear you whinging about speeding fines, that's an illegal activity also, and many think they should be able to drive faster.....

So it was widely covered in the media that the protests were illegal !
    Further it was publicized NOT to attend or gather !

Yes, an illegal gathering that the police were trying to stop them from meeting up with others creating an even larger gathering.
    Yeah, I carry empty bottles around just in case.....

Very few I imagine :p
    Of those that were I bet it occured trying to resist arrest !

"May" ?

Sackie likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Cops did what they were employed to do. The clowns were warned and still broke the law. If any protesters got injured, tough luck. I'd like to have seen anyone charging police to be imprisoned for 3 to 6 months. Longer for serious attacks. And everyone else arrested and given huge fines.

craigc, Lizzie, George Smiley and 3 others like this.
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

The police are not social distancing and with hundreds of body-on-body arrests I wouldn't be surprised if the police are spreading it far and wide. Probably makes the local precincts points of super spreading.

8. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

wow

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Did you not notice the masks the police were wearing?

Stoffo likes this.
  10. geoffw

The police all wore masks. Which protects other people much more effectively than it protects themselves. They put themselves at risk by doing their job.

I'm sure Covid testing would be a regular part of a police officer's job, especially in risky situations.

Lizzie and Stoffo like this.
  11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The police were following Covid protective practices, wearing masks and no doubt had to sanitize before heading out that day ;)

Protesters, well many were not wearing masks, and should there be a superspreading event it was caused by them :mad:

Bang on all you like about it being wrong, basic fact is the protesters should NOT have been there :p

When an individual has an issue with government they lodge a complaint via email with their local MP :confused: (try it some time)

Due to posts by Guest this thread has been derailed and now pointless.

Lizzie likes this.
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

Do you really think a mask is going to be effective in the middle of a tussle as 2-3 police officers wrestle protestors to the ground, while huffing and puffing, yelling in their faces at close quarters, etc? You realise the 1.5m social distancing is expected on top of the masks right?

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Age photographer Luis Ascui capsicum sprayed by police during protest

Unlikely we will ever know the full extent of injuries by/against all people at these types of events, but glad to see the media is finally reporting on their own photographer being violently pepper sprayed... even if it is 24 hours after they reported the police injuries. Have to look after their own :rolleyes:

14. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

There really is no covid safe way of policing on the front line when you're dealing with dregs that need to be arrested, all you can do is mitigate risks as best as possible. There was an article in the SMH about a month ago highlighting that members of the police force have indeed caught covid and have been required to isolate. They would be tested after these events as well as I suspect they would be constantly anyway.

Lizzie, Joynz and geoffw like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Police wouldn't be spreading it far and wide if the protesters simply used their brains, acknowledged there is a reason for lockdowns and chose instead to stay home. They were warned, but they were aching for a fight. Protesting isn't going to do anything to change the situation. Vaccinating, social distancing is what is needed until it is safe to open up.

Lizzie, Joynz and geoffw like this.
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

Great to see the police cleaning up the dregs / morons on the street (to use the terms some here have labelled the protestors).. it wasn't enough that they pushed this 70 year old woman to the ground, they also doused her with pepper spray right in the face for good measure. But hey, her protesting was illegal, she got what was coming :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/charles_haig01/status/1439335234860814336

FB_IMG_1632058080815.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 19th Sep, 2021
  17. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

That was excessive by the two officers involved and warrants investigation so I don't think you'll get much pushback there. It does nothing to bring into question more widely the police approach to the protesters who are indeed dregs and morons breaking the law with no regard for public safety.

Bunbury, Lizzie, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  18. Guest

Guest Guest

This protestor was also "breaking the law with no regard for public safety".

What action specifically makes a protestor part of the "dregs and morons"?

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Turning up to an illegal protest in the middle of a pandemic against direct police orders. That more than qualifies them to belong to the imbecile camp.

Bunbury, Stoffo, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

Right, so you are saying the 70 year old woman that the police brutalised is also one of those imbeciles / morons / dregs. Just needed to clarify.

Given the police knocked down and sprayed plenty of other protestors, then I'm sure you agree with the sentiment in my comment with the photo that she got what was coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.