VIC Melbourne IP

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Alex123711, 16th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

As I said to the OP of this thread - I would personally stay near the trains or 90x express bus down the eastern fwy.

That puts Balwyn and Kew off the map.

The Y-man

2. purkulator

purkulator Well-Known Member

In saying that would you think the inner SE has the greater long term growth potential compared to other potential gentrifying suburbs that are perhaps in the inner-middle NE suburbs as they are much more affordable currently?

3. The Y-man

4. The Y-man

There may be *much* better deals in the NE etc - but they are NOT "no-brainers". The ones I picked are in my "very likely to go up decently" over time basket. Relatively low risk, but may not be as high gain as other places.

The Y-man

5. purkulator

High gains over short term boom or long term 20+ years?

6. The Y-man

For the "no-brainer" ones, slow and steady 10+ year outlook.
    For a start, the price points are not ones where you can trade out easily. Just as you will have the advantage of less competition buying it, it's a double edge sword when it comes to selling. Also, these are not necessarily developer fodder (although a gorgeous period home in Hawthorn just got knocked down for townhouses so who knows??? :eek::eek:) but value based on scarcity (as mentioned earlier).

The Y-man

7. The Y-man

Holy crap! That 7 russell Camberwell ad looks like it is already split????

The Y-man

8. purkulator

What you mean?

9. The Y-man

Have a look at the ad - it says the property is on 3 separate titles!! I checked mapshare and it's true. You get 3 units. Already subdivided as far as I understand....

The Y-man

10. purkulator

Nice..so can develop dwellings any time?

11. The Y-man

Already has 3 units on the site as far as I can see (1 x 3BR, 2 x 2 BR)

Given the heritage overlay, you would need to maintain the visual integrity from the street and the rear most unit looks like it was built around a chapel or something.

The Y-man

12. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Hi Y-man,
    Would the lifestyle / low-density suburbs have an even higher o/o appeal now given Covid19?

Although as you mention not for developers, given the land component, I would assume value will increase well. It would of course depend on which suburbs you are thinking of.

I’m not saying they would exceed others, but would think would have strong o/o appeal given recent events.

Interested in your thoughts.

cheers

13. The Y-man

I think in the short term there are going to be people saying "I never wanna be locked up in an apartment for 3 months ever again!" and houses/TH/Villa will be the go .... Not sure medium long term though as affordability etc plays in.

The Y-man

14. James Baker

James Baker Well-Known Member

I am also looking for an IP from 600k to 1M in Melbourne for CG
    But even with lower CG chances, I would prefer something which has a low holding cost
    Any thoughts on the upcoming estates in the south east ?
    Or a house with land about 800 Sqm as Y man suggested in one of the outer eastern suburbs..

15. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

As a long time resident in the area - for a house under $1m in the east my picks would be:
    - North east or south east of mitcham station (very nice pockets with a lot of kid of wealthy families priced out of mount waverley/balwyn moving in - south side is in the top vermont school zone)
    - North of croydon station (bit further out but some streets remind me of some of the best suburbs in melb - try find a flat block less trees)
    - unique and liveable single storey townhomes/ units with courtyard - anywhere in balwyn or koonung school zone (huge demand). Pockets of mont albert north are spectacular and give a village vibe despite being so close to cbd. Make sure there is access to the two city buses 9xx and 302.
    - southeast around parkdale station is a beautiful spot with a good school zone but unlikely to get a house at that price point

In terms of capital growth i am not sure but these are the areas where I am seeing most demand and basically very little new supply under $1 mill besides low rise apartments or substandard townhomes.

Hope this helps

The Y-man likes this.
  16. Robbo80

Great insights Y man.

Ive recently had a thought about big blocks vs standalone villas/single storey townhomes. Id argue that the latter is more scarce considering the tidal wave of downsizers to come and the lack of that type of stock being developed. I have seen the very few that make it to market fly under offer quick. Feel that there are either too many tiny apartments/double story townies being built which dont cater for this cashed up section of the market. But like everything it depends on relative prices.

Your thoughts?

17. The Y-man

I got to the stage of "it's doing my head in trying to guess the market" and just went comm prop :D
    But I like your line of thought, and certainly we have similar views of the market going by your earlier post above.

I still think the 90x routes are poo-pooed by a lot of investors and there's opportunities to sneak in under the radar there... esp considering the busway promised in the NE link (cos crossing the chandler and bulleen road on ramp outbound at night is a true pain....)

The Y-man

18. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Well-Known Member

How does camberwell high school compare to those?

19. Robbo80

VCE high school rankings wise its middle of the pack for eastern suburbs but appears to be on the decline Trend of CAMBERWELL HIGH SCHOOL by VCE results(people dont generally buy there for the zone unlike balwyn high). The real prize government school in the area is canterbury girls. Both are in great tree lined street though if you are a believer of better school environments. Govt primary schools in area are also top notch.

The issue is with that most families living in camberwell area generally have the means and desire to send their kids to the plethora of private schools in the area. I have heard of people who live in heidelberg area getting into kew high so perhaps the zoning for these high schools arent as tight and exclusive as the more in demand govt schools like balwyn high.

In saying that the rankings of some schools are usually improved due to "selective programs" of which top students are handpicked to join the school and usually not integrated with the general population. So perhaps its not worthwhile comparing a school such as box hill and balwyn high (with well publicised acceleration programs) with say koonung and camberwell which have no such programs so their results actually reflect the broad cohort and are not artifically dragged up by a few selective high achievers.

Hope that helps

Trailblazer likes this.
  20. The Y-man

Rangerover, Merc or Bimmer large SUV as minimum entry level to drop kids off though! :D:D

The Y-man

Robbo80 likes this.